Distilled Water

mrjon

Can distilled water be purchashed at any of the larger department stores such as Tesco Lotus, Tops, Makro, Big C, etc?

In the states, as many of you know it is sold by the gallon right next to drinking water.

Our last trip to the LOS i could not find this except in a few pharmacies in Bkk sold in small glass bottles (hospital grade) ..not what i am looking for.

Thanks

Once went on a three day fast when I wasn't working. Drank nothing but distilled water.

Not working it cleaned out impurities in my body.

At the end My wife said my eyes were just sparkling.

Here in Thailand it is the water you add to the batteries. Makes no difference what size it is in unless you are planning on traveling with it. I have two machines that require the use of it so I just buy it by the case. Not a big deal.

I don't know how much faith I'd put in distilled water unless it also went through carbon filtering.

When my brother "friends" make moonshine it starts with a mash that ferments and creates the alcohol from the sugars. Then the alcohol is distilled from the water. The boiling point of the alcohol is 65 C (149 F.) The temperature is carefully controlled at about 155 - 160 F to avoid getting water into the alcohol. (Water boils at 212 F.) This is a separation process.

If the still was run at the boiling point of water to distill the water, the alcohol would be in it. This is true of a lot of chemicals which can't be removed without filtering.

With no further knowledge which I admit I don't have, I'd feel more comfortable with water that was boiled and then put through an activated charcoal filter. Boiling should boil off anything with a boiling point lower than water and kill germs, and the filter should remove most other nasties.

I don't know how much faith I'd put in distilled water unless it also went through carbon filtering.

When my brother "friends" make moonshine it starts with a mash that ferments and creates the alcohol from the sugars. Then the alcohol is distilled from the water. The boiling point of the alcohol is 65 C (149 F.) The temperature is carefully controlled at about 155 - 160 F to avoid getting water into the alcohol. (Water boils at 212 F.) This is a separation process.

If the still was run at the boiling point of water to distill the water, the alcohol would be in it. This is true of a lot of chemicals which can't be removed without filtering.

With no further knowledge which I admit I don't have, I'd feel more comfortable with water that was boiled and then put through an activated charcoal filter. Boiling should boil off anything with a boiling point lower than water and kill germs, and the filter should remove most other nasties.

Think you might need a little help with your chemistry knowledge. Water/alcohol is an azeotrope, or constant boiling mixture and their proportions can't be changed by simple distillation.

Carbon filtering does not remove all of the mineral salts from water, unlike distillation, hence the need for distilled water in some equpment.

• Like 1

Think you might need a little help with your chemistry knowledge. Water/alcohol is an azeotrope, or constant boiling mixture and their proportions can't be changed by simple distillation.

Carbon filtering does not remove all of the mineral salts from water, unlike distillation, hence the need for distilled water in some equpment.

I admit I don't have that much chemistry knowledge, but we do my friends do distill alcohol from what is mostly water and alcohol with a still. If the temperature isn't carefully monitored it will distill a mixture of water and alcohol. Distilling it twice gets almost pure alcohol.

This is astounding. People have been distilling alcohol from a water/mash/alcohol mixture for eons. That's how you get alcohol from the mash.

Edited by NeverSure

I admit I don't have that much chemistry knowledge, but we do my friends do distill alcohol from what is mostly water and alcohol with a still. If the temperature isn't carefully monitored it will distill a mixture of water and alcohol. Distilling it twice gets almost pure alcohol.

This is astounding. People have been distilling alcohol from a water/mash/alcohol mixture for eons. That's how you get alcohol from the mash.

well, distilling it once properly will get 99% pure alcohol too.

• Like 1

Big C sells both - with and without electrolyte:

post-140919-0-50341200-1429425040_thumb.

I've done only a rudimentary purity analysis on it via evaporation, but no mineral residue was evident (even under magnification) and thus it suits my basic needs (cleaning laboratory glassware).

What you saw in pharmacies used in the maintenance of CPAP machines that are used by people who suffer from sleep apnea. Medical grade water is usually triple-distilled and may have undergone additional sterilization by radiation exposure. It may also be deionized depending on what it's needed for.

• Like 1

Big C sells both - with and without electrolyte:

attachicon.gifIMG_4392.JPG

I've done only a rudimentary purity analysis on it via evaporation, but no mineral residue was evident (even under magnification) and thus it suits my basic needs (cleaning laboratory glassware).

What you saw in pharmacies used in the maintenance of CPAP machines that are used by people who suffer from sleep apnea. Medical grade water is usually triple-distilled and may have undergone additional sterilization by radiation exposure. It may also be deionized depending on what it's needed for.

Yeah, I have a need for Cpap use and also I use it to mix from a concentrate a mouthwash/irrigant.

The med grade stuff is overboard and the battery water would be walking the line I believe.

• Like 1

If proper done, in a proper device the alcohol would have gone long before. Up to how your technology is, things come in fractions....first the alcohol (the unwanted alcohols) than the good one, than the unwanted alcohols than the water than some other junk.

You either need a device that separates exactly (which is very slow, very big and very expensive and for alcohol production often illegal) or you do the same process several times.

But alc and water is a rare exception, you can't do 100% alc, to take the last little bit of water out of it you put in some water absorbing substance.

Perhaps the pertinent question here- is why you need distilled water- I worked in a lab for many years- always had a still going non stop- to rinse glassware or as a reagent.

As a drink- it tastes horrible- a mineral water ( my favourite is Pellegrino ) has a distinct flavour.

Nobody tops up batteries anymore - ironing?

OP why do you need it?

Of course in true TV fashion-people rack their brains to come up with suggestions- and nobody hears a peep from the OP

Look in the motoring section, I got large bottle to top up my battery. It was either Tesco or Homeworks, can't remember which one.

I also have difficulty looking for distilled water. I must use it for my CPAP. I have looked at the "distilled water" in motoring section and was very reluctant. Not sure why but I did not get it. People like me should not use water that has any minerals in it and boiling would not change that. tHANKS THOUGH.

• Like 1

CPAP. I use in CPAP. When I arrived in Thailand I noticed my mother in law used regular bottled water in her CPAP. I quickly looked to the heating plate container and sure enough it was caked with white mineral deposits. Of course, this crap is invading the lungs and setting up shop like sarcoidosis. Minerals in the lungs is just bad! For those who use CPAP try not to cut corners and find the distilled. I have a one gallon container near empty and I will have to find again soon, so hopefully someone really keyed in can advise (bangkok). Thanks guys.

The stuff intended for storage batteries will be just fine in your CPAP, readily available in Tesco, in fact the RO water delivered for drinking would be just fine too (and cheaper).

Distilled water has not just been boiled and filtered, it has been distilled http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillation

Since distilled water is already (pretty well) pure H2O there is zero point in putting it through further filtering, in fact that likely puts more contaminants in than it takes out.

• Like 1

OP why do you need it?

Of course in true TV fashion-people rack their brains to come up with suggestions- and nobody hears a peep from the OP

Have you read any of the five replies the OP made... including the answer to your question... facepalm.gif