Flying with Thai G/F to Aust. Sydney Day Trips?

Raysyn

We Have a long stopover in Sydney on the way to Adelaide and I want to take her on a day tour of Sydney to see the sights. Can anyone suggest a Tourist Company to do this with pickup and finish at the airport. Or even a shuttle bus to connect with a tour from about 9am to about 4pm?

Many Thanks

With the limited time you will be in Sydney, have you considered perhaps hiring a car for the day instead of booking a day tour? Probably work out better in cost (vs 2 persons paying for a tour), give you more flexibility, and be a more intimate way to explore Sydney for the day.

What are the key sights you want to see? If it is only around the harbour/CBD you are interested in - you might also be better off taking the train in to town and using the money saved to find somewhere to shower and freshen up for a few hours before enjoying the sights around say Circular Quay and The Rocks.

Just throwing a few suggestions out there, as I am not familiar with organized tours but have explored Sydney often in the past.

There is a train station at the airport - buy a Multi-day pass ticket ($24)and catch the train into circular quay . From there you can walk & see the opera house and the bridge , the Museum of Modern Art , catch a ferry to Manly or Watson's Bay or Parramatta, and catch the hop on hop off red double decker bus for a ride around the city. I think the hop on hop off bus is free .and the multi day pass will pay for all the other transport . Probably will not be enough time to do everything and it will not not cost a fortune.

http://www.transportnsw.info/en/tickets/ticket-types/day-passes/mymulti-day.page

Edited by xen

Here is the link to info about the hop-on-hop-off bus on the sydney.com.au website: http://www.sydney.com.au/hop-on-hop-off-bus-tour-sydney-bondi.htm . You could take the train to Circular Quay and catch the bus there. No need to change trains, the airport-line trains pass thru Circular Quay - three stops after Central.

That sydney website would have info on tours etc.

But given the time you have, I also suggest just catching the train to Circular Quay and having a wander around that area - the opera house, the bridge, the rocks. Take the waterside-walk through the botanical gardens to Mrs Macquarie's chair for that cliched shot of the opera house and bridge. https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Sydney+NSW/@-33.8551507,151.212669,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b129838f39a743f:0x3017d681632a850

I often take visitors for a walk across the bridge - get off the train at Milson's Point station at the northern end and walk back on the eastern (opera house side) walkway. There's a lookout in the pylon nearest to the opera house, nice view.

First time I came to Sydney I went and stood under the bridge by the water and was awed. But I was a boy from the bush then, maybe it wouldn't have the same effect nowadays. laugh.png

There are some nice old finger wharves on the western side of the bridge, they've been renovated into apartments / offices / theatre / hotel / restaurants and such. It's a pleasant less-touristed part of Sydney, only 10 minutes walk from the rocks. And observatory hill, also on the western side, has good views and nice gardens.

If you want to get out on the harbour you could take a (government) ferry across to Manly for lunch. It's about a 30 minute trip (and 30 back), so keep an eye on the time. There are also privately operated sightseeing cruises on the harbour that depart Circular Quay. 'Captain Cook Cruises' is one company I know of.

If you feel like a walk after the long flight, walk over to Wolli Creek railway station to catch the train into town. This would save you around $13 each as there is a surcharge to use the airport stations. I'll give directions if you're interested. But from experience, khon Thai don't like to walk anywhere, so your GF may just mutter "cheap Charlie" or "tightarse #$%^" under her breathe. biggrin.png

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Sydney+NSW/@-33.9312595,151.158542,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b129838f39a743f:0x3017d681632a850

Enjoy your day. smile.png

Edited by moojar

Thanks for the informative replies. You make it sound so easy. I hail from Perth so all new for me. We have about ten hours from Domestic Airport so need to get cracking once we clear customs. Walking is the best way to see things so this is some good advice for a Cheap Sandgroper. I hope i dont get lost!!

I'd definitely recommend the ferry to Manly if you have time.

The QVB and town hall are worth a look

China Town and Thai town near central station is worth checking out too for some supplies or an authentic meal. Even the pubs in that area are staffed by Thais.

Darling harbour is currently a construction site so not worth the trouble.

Edited by Schillaci

I'd definitely recommend the ferry to Manly if you have time.

The QVB and town hall are worth a look

China Town and Thai town near central station is worth checking out too for some supplies or an authentic meal. Even the pubs in that area are staffed by Thais.

Darling harbour is currently a construction site so not worth the trouble.

Good suggestions - the ferry is a great one, very relaxing. Can just go straight back on the next one if time is an issue, it will be worth it for the harbour sights alone.

And Chinatown and Thai town good ideas too, especially with the gf in tow.

I think taking the (overpriced) train from the airport to town is the best idea.. There's a 'Thaitown' area near Central Station.. A cluster of Thai shops and restaurants. Though I doubt she'll be homesick yet...

You could take her up the AMP Tower. Then down to Circular Quay for a walk round and ferry ride.

That's basically what I did with mine when she came, except we went to Darling Harbour as well.