Editing Audiobooks

chiangrai

I buy audiobooks from a well known audiobook library and de-incrypt them.

Then I play them with VLC and break them down into chapters manualy

When I do this a buton to 'forward to the next chapter' would save a lot of time.

Does VLC have a button for this or do you know another program or technique I could

Hope I've made myself clear.

Also since I downloaded the latest update when I rewind and then press record.When I press play it

takes about 10 seconds to start.

Anyone have a solution for this because I don't have a convenient restore point on systems restore.

Normally you would create a "Playlist", or select all the audiofiles in numbered order and allow it to create a temporary playlist.

On my Android device I use an app called DoggCatcher that allows me to play serialized audio files and podcasts in order. It keep track of what files/casts have been played and where each one is in playback so I can resume from where I left off.

Edited by RichCor

Yes, can do this.much but its when I have the whole audiobook on one file.

I have to listen to the whole audiobook and make seperate files first of every chapter.

Then I delete the chapters I don't want to review

If you talking about editing a large audiofile into individual chapters, I would suggest using a dedicated audio editing software with multi-track. You isolate each 'chapter' and cut it away to it's own track, and when you've completed the entire file you save the resulting tracks to their individual numbered file names.

It's been about 5 years since I last did this so can't really recommend any specific program or tools. But it's the preferred way to do it.

Yes, Audacity works.

Generally, you'd,

open the large audio file

zoom out and look at the waveform for patterns that would indicate large pauses (your chapter breaks)

zoom into that area, highlight and play just the ending/beginning section of the pause to 'hear' if it's your chapter ending and new beginning

If not, go the the next pattern until it's located.

Once located reduce the zoom level so you can see the start of the chapter section and the ending you just located

select/highlight just this portion (ending audio break all the way back to the beginning of the chapter) and edit-cut to a new track

Do a "Save as..."

continue on to isolate the next chapter

Changrai probably too late ......but........

I've been using this easy-peasy free proggy for many years. http://www.mp3-joiner.net

Mp3 joiner/splitter will cut a complete book into sections you choose either in minutes or Mbytes, unfortunately not by chapter.

Audacity is great for editing music, but you may find it has too many bells 'n' whistles for an audio book.

You will see the chapters however as any pause will be visible as a flat line. Lots of work cutting and pasting!

Hope this helps

Yea,

Lots of work even trying to learn how to do it.

Doing it with VlC might be easier and you can do it as your listening.

Any way I'm having trouble with VLC and have had to change to the app version.

I will be a while figuring all this out out.

With Audacity you can use the Analyze > Silence finder to scan the full file and split and add tags automatically . Can be a bit fiddly to set up the 'silence' parameters initially but once you have found the optimum settings it gets easier.

A couple of links that may help to start...

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/splitting_a_recording_into_separate_tracks.html

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/silence_finder_setting_parameters.html

So how do you isolate each chapter.Do you have to listen to

the whole book and isolate the chapter as you hear it ending.

No need to fool around with playlists.

Create your multiple media files. Put them in one folder. Then in VLC just select "media: open folder".

VLC will play all the files in that folder in alphabetical order and you can delete the ones you have heard as you wish.

So how do you isolate each chapter.Do you have to listen to

the whole book and isolate the chapter as you hear it ending.

No need to fool around with playlists.

Create your multiple media files. Put them in one folder. Then in VLC just select "media: open folder".

VLC will play all the files in that folder in alphabetical order and you can delete the ones you have heard as you wish.

Kitten, I thought the OP was having issues playing multiple files too,

but a careful reread of the original post revealed the OP wanted an automated way to break a single (long) auto file into separate chapters and save them individually.

Ah, in that case with Audacity you can position the selection point and then add a label using Ctrl+B. Name the label (Chapter 1 etc.) and repeat. When all chapters are labelled use File:Export Multiple to automatically create individual files (mp3, flac, m4a etc) named after each label.

Put those files into a folder and play the folder with VLC.

I find this better than using the "look for silence" feature.

If you talking about editing a large audiofile into individual chapters, I would suggest using a dedicated audio editing software with multi-track. You isolate each 'chapter' and cut it away to it's own track, and when you've completed the entire file you save the resulting tracks to their individual numbered file names.

It's been about 5 years since I last did this so can't really recommend any specific program or tools. But it's the preferred way to do it.

Yes, I agree. I am a big fan of audiobooks and for an unrelated reason downloaded Adobe Audition to remove background noise with an adaptive noise tool, and remove hum. It also has the ability of what you require, though I have not done this. I wish you luck. I am unsure of sourceforge NCH wavepad or related can do this.

Yes, I agree. I am a big fan of audiobooks and for an unrelated reason downloaded Adobe Audition to remove background noise with an adaptive noise tool, and remove hum. It also has the ability of what you require, though I have not done this. I wish you luck. I am unsure of sourceforge NCH wavepad or related can do this.

Audacity does all that.