Anybody know where I can buy fresh horseradish in CM?

RikDao

Tescos stock horseradish sauce own brand from UK. There is a parsnip shaped white root stocked in the markets that I believe is some sort of horse radish, give that a go, used it in making a pickle.

I think you mean Daikon (Japanese radish)... not very spicy and good for soups and salads.

Radish-Daikon.jpg

I've never seen Fresh European horseradish in Chiang Mai. If you do find any, please let me know.

It's not as if you can grow it from seeds, you grow it from root cuttings.

If you do find some and you can get it growing, you could corner the market!

biggrin.png

Tescos stock horseradish sauce own brand from UK. There is a parsnip shaped white root stocked in the markets that I believe is some sort of horse radish, give that a go, used it in making a pickle.

I think you mean Daikon (Japanese radish)... not very spicy and good for soups and salads.

Radish-Daikon.jpg

I've never seen Fresh European horseradish in Chiang Mai. If you do find any, please let me know.

biggrin.png

Yep, daikon pictured, and like you said, not same-same. Maybe galangal will have to do.

Perhaps could corner the market for horseradish, but the question arises: What market?

Thanks to all for replies.

Most Wasabi on sale is mainly horseradish - Wasabi does not store when grated. Go to a supermarket and look for wasabi - then check the ingrediants. The market on ground floor Central Festival sells a 'wasabi' paste that I buy- it is 40% horseradish and 50% wasabi (they claim) - but it is more likely 80% horseradish with a bit of wasabi - but it tastes OK. Many supermarkets have Wasabi paste in plastic bags in the chilled foods and Wasabi powder (or flakes) in small cans elsewhere (gotta ask) - they are all about 80-90% horseradish.

Radish-Daikon.jpg

biggrin.png

Yep, daikon pictured, and like you said, not same-same. Maybe galangal will have to do.

Perhaps could corner the market for horseradish, but the question arises: What market?

Thanks to all for replies.

The market in fresh horseradish sauce! If they can afford decent beef they'll pay good money I think! :)

I've searched high and low with no success, ended up using Wasabi and Beetroot to make my own Horseradish Sauce, it tasted good with the Gelfilte Fish I made. Then I tried Wasabi with Ketchup for American style Cocktail Sauce for Shrimp Cocktail, also worked out well. Maybe my tastes are more flexible after being away from the real thing so long and I doubt my Thai guests knew the difference.

• 11 months later...

I bought fresh growing horseradish in Khamtieng Flower market in Chiang Mai 2 months ago. Grow well, just avoid direct sun and limit water. May other fresh herbs - oregano, Italian basil, rosemary etc..

I bought fresh growing horseradish in Khamtieng Flower market in Chiang Mai 2 months ago. Grow well, just avoid direct sun and limit water. May other fresh herbs - oregano, Italian basil, rosemary etc..

Hey thanks!

I'd given up, and even forgot about this thread...

Is "Hua Chai Thow" horseradish or something similar?

Thanks for questioning my statement that politely --- I was wrong:

"Hua Chai Thow" is radish (Raphanus), the asian species is called "daikon" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikon).

Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana) is not a radish (but both are in the same family Brassicaceae, and have some similar qualities and health benefits).

"Hua Chai Thow" is available at many markets in Chiang Mai.

According to my wife (who knows it from fresh markets in Bavaria) horseradish as a fresh product is unknown in northern Thailand (and so she doesn't know a Thai word for it) but often mixed up by Thais with wasabi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasabi) what is again a different plant but also one of the same family Brassicaceae.

• 1 year later...

When I lived in TH, 7-8 years ago, I used to buy from a Swiss/German importer. Raw, grated, frozen Horseradish in 1 kg tubs. He was located near Bang Na, but now I don't remember the name. or excactly where. Best option would be to talk to a Scandinavian or German Chef. It used a lot in Northern Europe...

10 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

Real, fresh, horseradish stalks.  Available at Rimping Mae Ping today.  But hold your nose - and pinch your buttocks - the price is 1,000B for a thin stalk.

Would anyone like to join in a partnership arrangement and invest in a stalk. 

I'm looking for 3 other individuals who have the liquidity of 250 bht (CASH!).

Please submit a copy of your financial records for review.