Have Operating System on USB drive

BillyBobThai

I have lived in Thailand for over 12 years and continually get some sort of virus on my computer. I usually take it to some one to clean up 3 to 4 times a year. I used to do this myself, but since my heart attack and stroke, I now have someone else do it. Have trouble remembering how to do things.

Is it possible to have a USB drive with the operating system installed that will boot, and then disconected??

I plan to buy one of these small computers to work as they have no moving parts.

1233563584583458474.jpg

I used to be up to date on all of this stuff 20+ years ago, but do to health problems can no longer do it.

Someone please HELP.

Yep, sure can, just google for:

portable windows

However, by default it will still save files, virus etc. You could keep a copy of a fresh portable OS install and simply plug in another flash drive when the last one gets too messed up.

The downside of this is speed - USB flash drives are nowhere near as fast as decent hard drives.

Or, you could buy a Mac, and install one of the antivirus apps for it (which are all free unlike their Windows versions) - then, so long as you keep your web browser(s), Adobe Flash, and OSX up to date, you can pretty much say goodbye to web nasties ruining your computer.

Edited by IMHO

I've not gotten a nasty virus in years. And I browse all sorts of crazy websites. Yes, some are racy as I've got to click on the links posted in this forum to see what they are (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! LOL).

I travel a lot, and so browse lots of websites in places like Kenya, Egypt, Ukraine, etc. Because of this, I've got BitDefender setup. It's a paid for service, but not that much if you shop around and find some deals. It covers my 3 computers, my tablet and my 2 android phones.

It blocks websites on a fairly regular basis. Even ones here in Thailand. I won't mention the name, but one of the convention places here has something nasty attached to their website. Anyway, you might want to consider this. Again, in 3 years, I've not gotten hit with anything. Other than lots of these silly trackers, which BitDefender catches during the routine scans. Which happen automatically.

Something to consider????

Many Libraries and University Computer Labs in the US have their computers set to OverWrite Boot OS every morning.

The backup/recovery can be safely stored in a protected partition on the same hard drive.

PROS: Fresh computer every morning (after recovery completes). Nothing is allows to stick around (unless stored on a different partition or storage location).
CONS: OS and APP updates or changes get overwritten after recovery. A special process is required to update/refresh the stored backup recovery with updates/changes.

You can do something similar using drive imaging software, then do your own 'drive recovery' when you think you need it.

I always had wanted such a Linux USB OS, but I am stupid to set it up myself, and even have extremely little knowledge of Linux. Since years I am waiting for some LINUX courses here in BKK to be held but to no avail. and no sorry, i can not teach myself or learn it from books, I need a human TUTOR-being I can pester with all my dummie-questions.....

Or, you could buy a Mac, and install one of the antivirus apps for it (which are all free unlike their Windows versions) - then, so long as you keep your web browser(s), Adobe Flash, and OSX up to date, you can pretty much say goodbye to web nasties ruining your computer.

Sorry for the OT but AV software on a Mac is scareware / scamware. You don't need it. However, they will do their best to convince you that you need it.

Number of viruses encountered on my Mac over the last 10 years: Zero.

There's a few different reasons for that; when people say Macs can be targeted they are of course right, but it's a harder to hit target that's also (still) smaller than Windows so very few even bother. I have Ghostery and Adblock running to remove all the crap from websites. There were a few "outbreaks" over the last years but all of them made it pretty difficult for the user to get the virus to run. You had to basically install the malware yourself.

Edited by nikster

Or, you could buy a Mac, and install one of the antivirus apps for it (which are all free unlike their Windows versions)

This is why Macs are for people with limited knowledge.

There are plenty of decent free antivirus apps for Windows, which needs them because, being the most common OS on the planet, it is the one most attacked.

I would actually recommend the OP goes for a Mac box, they don't do enough to be much of a security threat.

Yep, sure can, just google for:

portable windows

However, by default it will still save files, virus etc. You could keep a copy of a fresh portable OS install and simply plug in another flash drive when the last one gets too messed up.

The downside of this is speed - USB flash drives are nowhere near as fast as decent hard drives.

Agree that using a USB won't stop the viruses. Suggest the O/P install a reliable free (yes there are loads of free antivirus Windows versions unlike stated above). I've been using free Bitdefender and haven't had a virus give me a problem in years using Windows.

Or, you could buy a Mac, and install one of the antivirus apps for it (which are all free unlike their Windows versions)

There are plenty of decent free antivirus apps for Windows, which needs them because, being the most common OS on the planet, it is the one most attacked.

I would actually recommend the OP goes for a Mac box, they don't do enough to be much of a security threat.

Definitely way less problems with a Mac, but malware is still there. And Apple products are a lot more expensive, if a Windows user, requires you to learn a new interface, and they do have hardware problems. My brother, a huge Apple supporter, has had many problems in the past few years. None were inexpensive to fix.

I understand why you said that - and I agree - unless you're willing to learn how to walk the Windows minefield (and lose a couple of legs along the way), OSX is just a safer, more stable, and faster way to do day to day tasks.... But I also have to add that OSX is also great for people who do know their way around a computer ;)