Navigation

Somtamme

I would like to do some cycle touring when visiting Thailand this June / July. Can anyone offer advice on the best method of navigation e.g. using traditional Maps (any recommendations) or go down the electronic route? I have a IPhone 5s. Is it possible to utilise the IPhone's mapping? I have also seen some Garmin touring computers, but unsure whether they would cover more remote parts of Thai? Any advice appreciated.

Hi

I live in NE Thailand (Udon Thani) and am a touring cyclist. Traveling in Thailand is really not too difficult although the traffic can be hazardous to your health ( 4 deaths this past week alone - 2 in Chiang Mai and 2 in Bangkok, Chilean round the world cyclist killed a month or so ago and his wife injured, Brit couple around the world tour killed last year). Thailand has the highest or second highest accident rates in the WORLD. Drunk driving and a near complete lack of common sense, courtesy and complete stupidity prevail. Add to that mix is a near lack of enforcement by the lazy cops.

Now putting all that aside Thailand can be a very nice place to cycle as long as you never let your guard down. You've got to expect the unexpected ALL the time. Thai motorists do not stop at Stop signs and a red traffic light is simply a suggestion to stop much of the time. These are not exaggerations but simply the facts. I've lived here 10 years and have been touring for 8 years throughout SEA.

I've used the plastic Rough Guide maps in the past which have been replaced by German map maker Reise. They are extremely durable and provide excellent navigation on all primary and near all secondary and country roads. The map also indicates places of interest and other landmarks. Much of the road signage is in English as well as Thai. However, once off in the countryside/small villages most everything will be written in Thai.

Another problem related to cycling here in Thailand is asking directions from the locals. If you find yourself in a village and want to stay on the back roads but are somewhat lost asking a local Thai will become an exercise in frustration. First you'll have to overcome the language barrier as English is not widely spoken. Next you'll encounter the local who will give you directions but always on to a main road. Third you'll encounter the typical Thai who will invariabvly never say he/she doesn't know and fourth their sense of distance really is very poor.

I currently am using a Samsung "smart phone" with GPS/GPRS built in which has come in handy more than once. Mobile phone coverage is quite extensive here as well although unfortunately they have only in the past couple of years just upgraded their systems to 3G.

Accomodation are really all over the place and come in all sizes/shapes & costs. I've stayed in very nice hotels as well as small resorts (motels) on my tours here in Thailand as well as the surrounding countries. Food and cold drinks are also widely available in nearly 100% of the towns and villages as well as alongside the roads. Tap water is not to be trusted so best to stick with only bottled water which is very inexpensive and available all over.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions as I'll do my best to assist you.

Edited by fdimike

I use the garmin software but it doesn't tell me if the street has asphalt. But I use Garmin on Android which isn't perfect.

Happened often that a street begins asphalt or concrete and in the middle it stops than I tried to make the last 5 km with the street bike and 8 bar tires on the bad street with 15 km/h

There are also local maps available for Garmin devices that support mapping here, I can't say how accurate they are though off the beaten path.

Forget the free OpenStreetMap, completely useless in Thailand, even in major cities......

Edited by moonoi

Hi

I live in NE Thailand (Udon Thani) and am a touring cyclist. Traveling in Thailand is really not too difficult although the traffic can be hazardous to your health ( 4 deaths this past week alone - 2 in Chiang Mai and 2 in Bangkok, Chilean round the world cyclist killed a month or so ago and his wife injured, Brit couple around the world tour killed last year). Thailand has the highest or second highest accident rates in the WORLD. Drunk driving and a near complete lack of common sense, courtesy and complete stupidity prevail. Add to that mix is a near lack of enforcement by the lazy cops.

Now putting all that aside Thailand can be a very nice place to cycle as long as you never let your guard down. You've got to expect the unexpected ALL the time. Thai motorists do not stop at Stop signs and a red traffic light is simply a suggestion to stop much of the time. These are not exaggerations but simply the facts. I've lived here 10 years and have been touring for 8 years throughout SEA.

All the deaths you mention were cyclists being hit from behind while driving along a straight stretch of road.

I have also been hit from behind while driving straight along a dual carriageway in the middle of the day (by a Swede driving a m/c) in light traffic.

The only way you can avoid being hit from behind is by not being in the road.

No amount of precautions or keeping your guard up can save you from these idiots who don't look where they are driving.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Four touring on the roads, you are probably best served by a standard Thailand road atlas or -even better- an equivalent electronic offering, such as TomTom, Garmin, or Sygic. Just check the app store for these applications and respective map offerings.

For offroad navigation, these are often useless, however. As a mountain biker, I am using OpenStreetMaps. The OSM maps have a good number of tracks and trails, and good detail level in the vicinity of the major cities. I am taking advantage of the possibility to display topography lines which helps me estimating the climbs in unfamiliar terrain.

I am using Oruxmaps with Android. It's quite simply the most advanced offline map rendering software there is. You can import anything from OSM, Google Earth tiles, to your own scanned maps for offline rendering.

Unfortunately, there is nothing comparable for the iPhone, but there are some apps that do OSM rendering.

Cheers, CM-Expat

The two in Chiang Mai were hit and killed by a drunk driver (female university student) from behind. One in BKK was hit from behind and killed and the driver ran off but has subsequently surrended to police. The other cyclist in BKK was hit and killed by a falling roadsign which was knocked down by a large truck. The Chilean cyclist was off the bike & standing in the bike lane on a break when hit and killed by an idiot who just couldn't wait for the traffic and decided to try to pass in the bike lane. The Brit couple were hit and killed while trying to ride across busy highway 2.

There seems to be a common thread to the 4 recently killed - they were riding in the dark (two in Chiang Mai in the early morning before dawn).

I disagree with the comment above re: not being able to avoid the idiots. I ride with a side view mirror locally and two while on tour here in Thailand. I also NEVER ride with earphones in my ears in order to be able to hear what's coming behind me. I am always checking the roadside ahead of me should I have to quickly abandon the bike. I have a VERY loud Air Zond bike horn on both my Surly LHT and my Merida MTB and am not at all shy about using it. I never ride before dawn and rarely at night. I always have front and rear BRIGHT light on the bike if I need to ride at night. I ALWAYS wear bright colored cycling clothing (day & night). I ALWAYS TRY TO EXPECTED THE UNEXPECTED. I've closed more car doors on people who refuse to to look before opening their door. It always seems to get their attention - ouch!!

I don't think the above will guarantee your safety but I truely believ it will go a long way towards that goal.

Ditch the iphone, get an android. download an old version of oruxmaps - new version doesn't support offline googlemaps. I think version 5.5 is good.

nd watch your back....

Edited by MESmith

Ditch the iphone, get an android. download an old version of oruxmaps - new version doesn't support offline googlemaps. I think version 5.5 is good.

nd watch your back....

Or the Garmin software (which need a rooted android and some skills to install, but can be done)

Oruxmaps can read/render Garmin maps alongside a bunch of other formats, so no need for the Garmin software, but get the Garmin Thailand map by all means. It's pretty good.

I could never get the Oruxmap software to read the Garmin Asia or the Thailand map, even when I had them unlocked. Maybe I did something wrong?

Oruxmaps can read/render Garmin maps alongside a bunch of other formats, so no need for the Garmin software, but get the Garmin Thailand map by all means. It's pretty good.

I could never get the Oruxmap software to read the Garmin Asia or the Thailand map, even when I had them unlocked. Maybe I did something wrong?

Perhaps.

But it is also possible that your map contained features that Oruxmaps could not handle. I've heard other people reporting similar issues. In this case you can try using a format converter. I've used Oruxmaps with an Garmin IMG map of the Alps region 2 years ago with no problem.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Perhaps.

But it is also possible that your map contained features that Oruxmaps could not handle. I've heard other people reporting similar issues. In this case you can try using a format converter. I've used Oruxmaps with an Garmin IMG map of the Alps region 2 years ago with no problem.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I got told, but have no idea if it is true, that there are different Garmin maps, both img format. Free one that don't make troubles and the expensive one that are encrypted.

Was your Alp map a map that you had to unlock on the computer first?

I really love the Garmin maps, but my old Garmin is rotten down, the Garmin software for Android isn't that great and I don't like to have one more device in my pocket, so it would be great if there is a way to use Oruxmaps (or anything else).

I got told, but have no idea if it is true, that there are different Garmin maps, both img format. Free one that don't make troubles and the expensive one that are encrypted.

Was your Alp map a map that you had to unlock on the computer first?

No, I just downloaded it and copied it to the maps directory of Oruxmaps. Worked out of the box. I ended up using OpenStreetMap, nevertheless. Can't beat the level of detail in Europe and with the topo rendering it's perfect for hiking.

Cheers, CM-Expat