Strange File Types in Downloaded Torrents.

chiangrai

I'm downloading some torrents that I really want to play but some won't play.

I'm using uTorrent and downloadind video files but some filles come out in a folder and broken into many files with the file type as-type R01

-type R02.....e.t.c

Is there any way to play these filles or are they just lemons.

R01, R02, etc, indicate that several files were first Archived/Compressed (.rar), possibly password protected, and stored as chunks for easier download.

Archiving/Compressing a group of files might make the total package smaller, but it isn't necessary for use with torrent software unless you also want to password-protect the package.

After downloading, you'll need to gather all the necessary sections together and unrar them.

Depending on what you're downloading, I usually skip them when other seeds of the same or similar material is available.

Edited by RichCor

Yea,this is the problem there is no easier way of getting thiese torrents

and I really want to watch it.

But maybe not enough to hunt for a password.

I will try un-ziping them but I've never done it before.

You probably have some software on your computer to unzip them. If not try WinZip or ZipGenius. Not all zip files are password protected. Before you do any unzipping first do a virus scan on the file.

You really don't see many legit torrents that are compressed these days. You can usually find an alternative somewhere that has not been compressed.

Whatever you do, don't start downloading password cracks, and if you find you need to download some new type of media player to be able to play a torrent then it's time to forget about that torrent all together.

download winrar and decompress.

as for the kkerry who said you don;t see many legit torrents that are compressed, ignore him.he has no idea what he is talking about.

If you are downloading low res files from common (read crap, leech heavy) public sites, this may be true.

hi res 1080 or 720p files on quality private trackers and proper scene releases are usually compressed. it allows for both faster upload and download as you can use multiple threads and connection, especially if you are using a seedbox and ftp

also, a quality media player like the minix x8h or comparable will play the files without needing to decompress.

Edited by HooHaa

R01, R02, etc, indicate that several files were first Archived/Compressed (.rar), possibly password protected, and stored as chunks for easier download.

Archiving/Compressing a group of files might make the total package smaller, but it isn't necessary for use with torrent software unless you also want to password-protect the package.

After downloading, you'll need to gather all the necessary sections together and unrar them.

Depending on what you're downloading, I usually skip them when other seeds of the same or similar material is available.

again you are being misinformed, ignore this.

the reason for rar is to break the files unto multiple pieces which allow the files to be uploaded quickly using multiple threads.

winrar will allow you to unpack with a click of a single file in the folder.

paasword protection is rare, and if you are using a site that provides you with password protected files stop and find a better source.

in the torrent it tells you what Files are in there, I never download any RAR Files, had major issues with viruses and other things on my computer.

I use the following two site

www.1337x.org and www.ahashare.com

There is no point in putting compressed video in RAR files these days unless you are trying to con someone into downloading malware, usually by telling them they need to go to a dodgy site to download the password.

Others do it just to be a--eholes.

Multi-part rar's are my last resort for an obscure old movie I can't find in a single AVI/MKV/MPEG format

I'll spend hours searching alternate sources before doing a multi part torrent.

Was far more common a few years back, totally unnecessary nowadays

If you do end up with one, no huge drama, be sensible and scan it first of course.

As some above have said - if you have Winrar or similar installed, you just click on the first file and it will magically decompress & piece itself together like witchcraft.

Sorcery I tell you!!

woops,

20x47.6mb filles,doesn't sound very compressed to me.

How do I check it for a virus,there's nothing on my right click menu.

Nope, that makes more sense now.

No idea what AV software you have, so couldn't even begin to tell you how to check it for virus.

Do you normally have a context menu for your AV?

Try right clicking the parent folder

Are you saying there are 20x47.6mb numbered .rar files (.R01, .R02, ... .R20)

You should be able to explore the multi-part archive if all the pieces are present if you have the appropriate .rar utility. See if you can take a look at what the archive contains.

Some AntiVirus Suites can scan compressed archives. Others just scan the archive at it is being unpacked.

I'm usually not to worried if the originating file or files use a known common media file extension.

If your media player doesn't know how to work with multi-part zipped/compressed files then you'll first need to decompress the contents with a compatible .zip/.rar utility.

in the past it was important to have small files that fits on small medias these days. As well for uloading, on unstable internet connections.

These days it doesn't make any sense anymore for movies, as .rar wouldn't help compressing a movie.

Of course software is something different.

O.k now I know why all this happened.

There was no winrar on my machine.

If there was I would have known that the filles were compressed and

uncompressed them.

I got winrar last night and as soon as it was installed it showed the filles as compressed.

I unziped one of the 47.6 filles and the whole episode was on the extracted file.

Binge problem solved.

Many thanks to those who helped

There is no point in putting compressed video in RAR files these days unless you are trying to con someone into downloading malware, usually by telling them they need to go to a dodgy site to download the password.

Others do it just to be a--eholes.

the majority of private trackers i use use rar files, as i said this is for faster uploading and downloading vial multipart ftp for uploaders and those who use seedboxes instead of local torrent clients. it may be somewhat old-fashioned, but it is still largely the way the scene operates especially where higher res larger files are concerned. Given as others point out players like vls and kodi decompress the rar on the fly it is certainly no major inconvenience.

As for the person who called me strange, if correcting misinformation is strange, i embrace the designation.

As for the OP being unable to unrar the files, i have already expalined that winrar will ahceive that for him.

again you are being misinformed, ignore this.

the reason for rar is to break the files unto multiple pieces which allow the files to be uploaded quickly using multiple threads.

Hardly necessary these days when many upload/download tools will multithread anyway.

mulitpart rar or zip files are an anachronism in these days of high speed broadband.

I often download 40Gb files via torrent, your connection usually gets maxed out and it's restartable in the event of any disconnection.

The only reason I can think why you'd want multipart files is if your server does not support automatic restart where your download left off, in which case sort it out!

tongue.png

as for the kkerry who said you don;t see many legit torrents that are compressed, ignore him.he has no idea what he is talking about.

Virtually every video or audio file is compressed these days.

Zipping or Rarring them (is that a pirate word?) rarely makes a difference to the file size.

Virtually every video or audio file is compressed these days.

Zipping or Rarring them (is that a pirate word?) rarely makes a difference to the file size.

I do a lot of Unrarring rather than Rarring. Does that mean I have an Anti-Piracy stance on software?