Packing related advice on bringing paintings on a flight

konisaan

I have three paintings I want to bring back to TL. I thought I might pack them and check them in with my luggage since I have a 30kg allowance.

The paintings are as wide and long as a regular piece of luggage and probably about 10 kg max. I don't think I would have much luck finding a cardboard box the right size. I was thinking of bubble wrapping them thoroughly and then then sealing it all up with loads of packing tape, turning it into a nice tight slab of well cushioned plastic. Would an airline allow a package like this to be checked in?

Cardboard and bubble wrap aren't going to cut it, I thinks

I had some framed paintings a few years back, I had to build wooden frames around them like a packing case.

It was the only time I had to send them fully framed (not my decision) and it cost a fortune and was a PITA

Other times - removed paintings, rolled up into large PVC tube, re-framed and new glass at a framers shop at destination.

My suggestion:

At the very least remove the glass, you can get new glass at your destination

Consider also getting them re-framed if the frames are not crucial

Brought mine from the US 3 years ago. My town had a packaging store with every size box imaginable. They wrapped each piece in bubble wrap. Everything was perfect when I got here. I cannot display all of mine at one time, so the box serves as storage as well.

Why would a painting be glazed? Unless they are watercolors. Paintings need to breathe.

If you actually care about the paintings, go to an art shipper and have them packaged.

If you really want a step by step guide how to package them yourself, send me a PM. You will need sheets of cardboard, glue stick and a few foam pads.

Bubble rap is an absolute waste as it will actually do more harm than good on a painting.

You need to create space between any surface and the painting. You don't actually want the cardboard to touch the glass at all. Since you refuse to remove the glass which would be your best option, tape it with masking tape. If the glass breaks the tape actually keeps it from shattering.

I also don't think that the airlines will allow you to take the glass frame on the plane, you will need to store it in the luggage.