Absurd/weird/frustrating Experience Bangkok Airways

LaoPo

Here are the facts of an absurd/weird and frustrating experience with a Bangkok Airways flight:

PG 658 16.00 - 21.00hrs* on September 9th, 2006 from:

Bangkok - Hangzhou/China; 4 hours flying...* 1 hour time-difference.

1. Plane leaves 30 minutes late, due to incoming aircraft, at 16.30hrs.

2. smooth flight; just 38 passengers on an Airbus A320 (some 200 seats ?)of 'Siem Reap Airways' plane; 2 engines. (just 30 passengers waiting in Hangzhou to return to BKK; according to aircraft-staff)

3. moving map shows at a certain moment, after 2.30 hours of flying, we have another 1.30 hours to go. We were just passing Guangzhou and Shenzhen area/China. So far so good.

4. A few minutes later :D I noticed that map shows: 2.30 hours flying left....distance (forgot) also changed; told my wife that there must be an error in the map-system...

Shortly after, the map stops and they put on a movie; (flying back over Laos, map was put on again)

5. After another 1 hour (!!!) the captain/staff states that there are serious technical problems and "we have to return to Bangkok"....mind you: we WERE already flying back without ANYBODY noticing we turned.

After more than 5 flying hours we safely landed (very, very smooth) in Bangkok again. :D

6. Nobody noticed any 'problems' during flight but I realize that doesn't mean anything; serious problems can be there without passengers noticing them.

BUT: if the problems were so serious, WHY fly another 2.30 hours without landing on the nearest airport (BKK Airways also fly to Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Guilin in China area!) and WITH JUST 1.30 hours to fly to destination Hangzhou???

WHAT would Bangkok Airways have done with 200 passengers on board instead of 38?

The most frustrating is, in situations like this, that NOBODY gives a TRUE and FACTUAL explanation as to WHY the decision was made to fly back.

RESULTS?:

1.We were re-booked on a Thai flight at 01.45AM to Shanghai (some 200 kms from Hangzhou) and passengers were put on a bus to Hangzhou;

the other option was:

2. hotel and next morning BKK-Shenzhen and Shenzhen to Hangzhou (arriving in the afternoon, following day)

Most passengers choose option 1.

3. Total 9 hours of flying and 24 hours 'on the way' without sleep.

Thank you Bangkok Airways :o but not so!

LaoPo

Technical problems aren't always (in fact rarely) likely to cause an immediate crash neccesitating a landing at the nearest airport.

Usually, depending on the problem, and availability of spare parts, the company will divert their plane to the airport at which it will be cheapest and easiest (ie less time out of service) to effect repairs. In your case back to home base.

Passengers inconvenience is the last factor to be considered.

Incidently, Bangkok Air still owe me a refund for a flight I had to cancel in July. I'm not holding my breath!

Edited by Old Croc

Here are the facts of an absurd/weird and frustrating experience with a Bangkok Airways flight:

PG 658 16.00 - 21.00hrs* on September 9th, 2006 from:

Bangkok - Hangzhou/China; 4 hours flying...* 1 hour time-difference.

1. Plane leaves 30 minutes late, due to incoming aircraft, at 16.30hrs.

2. smooth flight; just 38 passengers on an Airbus A320 (some 200 seats ?)of 'Siem Reap Airways' plane; 2 engines. (just 30 passengers waiting in Hangzhou to return to BKK; according to aircraft-staff)

3. moving map shows at a certain moment, after 2.30 hours of flying, we have another 1.30 hours to go. We were just passing Guangzhou and Shenzhen area/China. So far so good.

4. A few minutes later :D I noticed that map shows: 2.30 hours flying left....distance (forgot) also changed; told my wife that there must be an error in the map-system...

Shortly after, the map stops and they put on a movie; (flying back over Laos, map was put on again)

5. After another 1 hour (!!!) the captain/staff states that there are serious technical problems and "we have to return to Bangkok"....mind you: we WERE already flying back without ANYBODY noticing we turned.

After more than 5 flying hours we safely landed (very, very smooth) in Bangkok again. :D

6. Nobody noticed any 'problems' during flight but I realize that doesn't mean anything; serious problems can be there without passengers noticing them.

BUT: if the problems were so serious, WHY fly another 2.30 hours without landing on the nearest airport (BKK Airways also fly to Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Guilin in China area!) and WITH JUST 1.30 hours to fly to destination Hangzhou???

WHAT would Bangkok Airways have done with 200 passengers on board instead of 38?

The most frustrating is, in situations like this, that NOBODY gives a TRUE and FACTUAL explanation as to WHY the decision was made to fly back.

RESULTS?:

1.We were re-booked on a Thai flight at 01.45AM to Shanghai (some 200 kms from Hangzhou) and passengers were put on a bus to Hangzhou;

the other option was:

2. hotel and next morning BKK-Shenzhen and Shenzhen to Hangzhou (arriving in the afternoon, following day)

Most passengers choose option 1.

3. Total 9 hours of flying and 24 hours 'on the way' without sleep.

Thank you Bangkok Airways :o but not so!

LaoPo

I understand your frustration. And communication is clearly the best option in a case like this, but depending on the "problem" they might have had some work to do in the office. One guy/girl flying and one in contact with nearest airports. Getting out the new flightpatern, follow procedures and so on. But still I give you the point that the communication with the passengers, should have been clear and prompt. Showing a movie just isnt the best idea.

People have become much more aware of flying and any thing out of the ordinary will raise questions, so to comfort all the communaction with the passengers should be a must - naturally, after procedures that are more important. But from your schedule of the incident I would say they had the time to inform passengers or at least first officer.

As to the new route, it depends on the problem. If it is a serious problem they will fly a different path, always close to an airport or landing strip. It is NOT a question about cheaper spareparts.

And it dosent matter if there where 3 people on board or 200 the procedures are the same.

And remember - and I understand your frustration, and so on - the pilot and the captain also wants to live.

Who knows, it might have been a serious problem, dumping fuel and so on, but the crew manage to overcome the problem - hey good guys.

But not informing passengers will defently do harm to some - they might not use that company anymore...they might be more scared next time they are flying.

So I do give you the point that information is vital, be it in midair or ground after returning to BKK. But some companies just dont get it.

Edited by Oishi

Thanks for the input guys!

Question: How much extra fuel has an airplane if it's flight is about 4 hours. We did fly over 5 hours... :D

Keep in mind that on the way to China we flew about 800 km/hour...(for around 2 1/2 hours or so)on the way back we flew around 900 km/hour....also 2 1/2 hours. So I assume an aircraft uses more fuel, right?

The point is they don't tell the passengers the truth (or close to it... :D ).

After coming back to BKK they offer you their Bangkok Airways lounge and a soft-drink ( :D ) and some dry cake...

At 11.00PM a guy comes in with a BIG smile and says: we are able to offer you DINNER.... :o

and sent us upstairs to the most 'stinky horrible lunchroom' on Don Muang you can imagine and we had a choice between:

1. soup and

2. fried rice with chicken

Khop Khun Khap Bangkok Airways.. :D

LaoPo :D

Last year, I had to meet a friend at Samui Airport. He phoned me from Bkk saying he would arrive at about 11 am (1hour). He eventually turned up at 7pm. The first flight actually flew to within sight of Samui and then turned back. No explanation was given on the plane or down on the ground. The plane then returned to Bkk. On landing they thanked everyone for flying with Bkk Airways but gave no indication of why they were back in Bkk. As my friend said later it was a return ticket but he's expected to be allowed top land in Samui before returning to Bkk!

My daughter and her husband took a flight from BKK to Cambodja with Abangkok Airways. They are both frequent flyers, my soninlaw has all golden cards you can dream of. But both of them were shitscared after the flight back to BKK. They would never ever thinking of flying one more time with that company so I have avoided that company too.

I can't remember all details but I think everyone on the plane was scared incl cabinstaff.

LaoPo - get extra flight miles? :D

:D Good idea, I'll ask them :o and let you know the answer.

PS: you think they will that generous??? :D

BTW: During the flight I met a European VIP who's flying first class always; his factories even delivered substantial 'items' to the new aiport in BKK and was invited during the 'show-opening to all the Ambassadors last week.

This was his first experience with Bangkok Airways..........and his last, so he told me. :D

About the iPod.............I didn't even go to the toilet :D

LaoPo

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds to me like they didn't have appropriate servicing or the needed spare parts at Hangzhou. This would have resulted in a stranded aircraft and they would have had to fly in parts and maybe even personnel to get airborne again. So they decided to turn around and fly back to Bangkok, where they have everything available.

I agree they could have told you more, but maybe they were afraid they might get people alarmed.