Another sign of low inflation in Thailand

Anthony5

Why are tyres for cars more expensive here than back home, the damned rubber trees are here,the factories are here,the 300 baht a day gang are here,bananas ,fall off the trees here yet are more expensive to buy than back home,pineapples,cars too, flights back home are a third more than the other way around just why is it,because that is the way it is.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is it actually that you try to make clear.

Is it that I choose the wrong items to proof that in Thailand there is a HIGH inflation, or is it that you deny that in Thailand there is a HIGH inflation.

Everyone know that there is inflation in almost every country on the planet, however ther are a few where there is deflation but that is another topic, but when the inflation is on average +10% /year over the past 5 years then it is called HIGH inflation

This is like hitting one's head against a brick wall. I've explained numerous times why your comparisons of cooked food items don't tell us anything about real inflation rates, which are nowhere near 10%, but you don't get it. then you decided take a break from that debate to insult my understanding of sarcasm and, now you're back asking questions that have already been answered.

It's quite clear you have no understanding of what true inflation is and there's no teaching you.

Let's leave it at that. I'm done.smile.png

Well Tropo, we know long time already that everyone on this forum is entitled to his opinion, as long it is the same as yours.

You have now spend 6 posts to tell us all that I'm wrong, yet you fail to post any figures to correct me.

Why don't you educate us how inflation is measured, what the exact inflation figures are in Thailand, and what the minimum wages were for each respective year in the last 2 decades.

I can't wait to be informed about your superior knowledge about the subject, but please don't come up again with some false figures to make your boat float, like your false statement that Talley's garden peas are sold at Big C extra at below 100 Baht a kilo.

Core inflation rate, Thailand vs EU over the last ten years.

That is the inflation rate the governments want us to believe, but I'm sure you are aware that governments have a tendency to fabricate figures in their advantage.

The basket of products against which inflation is calculated is frequently changed.

Other then that, the Thai government has told us the past year more porkies then one can consume in a lifetime.

Just look at the export figures the government claim and the ones independent organisations come up with.

No need to change the subject again. I'm not a historian, but if I recall correctly when I arrived here, which is almost 22 years ago, the minimum wage was about 200 Baht.

Because I said Thai dishes have at least doubled in the past 5 years, Mogandave claimed that minimum wages have more than doubled in the same time span, which is simply an utopia.

That many even work at below the minimum wage makes my example of the Thai dish prices even more to the point.

Who's changing the subject? It was you who offered an insight into wages over the last 20 years - I was merely asking for specifics.

If you make a comment comparing wages of 20 years ago to the present, it stands to reason you should have accurate figures to go by, otherwise you're just guessing... especially when you actually derided Mogandave for the comment he made. You used 4 cheesy.gif emoticons and suggested he doesn't live in Thailand... yet you cannot provide the actual figures from only 5 years ago, and when asked you claim you aren't an historian.

I think a few icons could be appropriate here. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Right, try to be funny, you fail miserable at that however.

My claim that I'm not a historian was because you asked for the minimum wage figures from 20 years ago, which have nothing to do with this topic anyway, but feel free to twist my words it only makes you look like a fool.

If you want to know the figures from 5 years ago, which everyone but you on this forum knows, you just have to remember what Yinglucks election promise was in 2011.

That is the inflation rate the governments want us to believe, but I'm sure you are aware that governments have a tendency to fabricate figures in their advantage.

The basket of products against which inflation is calculated is frequently changed.

Other then that, the Thai government has told us the past year more porkies then one can consume in a lifetime.

Just look at the export figures the government claim and the ones independent organisations come up with.

Thais and farang have a different perspective on what constitutes a "basket" of items. I could care less about the price of rice or durian but Talley's green peas, Oscar Mayer hotdogs and baloney, My Thai teak furniture (10-15% increase) are more important to me. Core inflation rates worldwide are closely scrutinized by skeptics like yourself as they are important measures of inflation and many items are linked to them (pensions, etc.). We can so-called believe government fabrications or those of TV posters. Edited by ThaiBob

So you're suggesting that your assessment, based on the recent price increase of some cooked items in Big C Extra, is of more value?

Give it a break!

Edited by tropo

So if Big C reduces the price of pre-cooked rice, that proves deflation, correct?

LOL. In life according to Anthony5, yes.

They have a "Big Mac" index to compare costs of living across international borders, now we have the "pre-cooked rice" index for Thailand.

Edited by tropo

Now say again that there is no inflation in Thailand.

Today at Big C Chicken leg WITH bone 210 Bht/kg

Chicken breast thigh WITH bone 160 Bht/kg

I doubt the chicken was imported from overseas.

attachicon.gif20150615_175924.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_175938.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_180008.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_180016.jpg

I missed this gem of a post. Did you not understand that the per kilo chicken price on the label is the cooked price, and not the price of raw chicken. Should they be selling it to you cooked at the raw price. Notice that the boneless chicken has a higher per kilo cooked price. Less bones - more chicken.

You certainly went to a lot of trouble taking photos of cooked chicken, all to prove you don't have a clue what's going on. I wonder what they thought of you at the store?

When I buy cooked chicken at Tops Central it's 290 baht per kilo. Oh, woe is me! sad.png The raw price is less than half of that.

Edited by tropo

So you're suggesting that your assessment, based on the recent price increase of some cooked items in Big C Extra, is of more value?

Give it a break!

You're still claiming I'm wrong, but still fail to write some figures that are correct according to your superior knowledge.

Keep digging.

Edited by Anthony5

Now say again that there is no inflation in Thailand.

Chicken breast thigh WITH bone 160 Bht/kg

I doubt the chicken was imported from overseas.

attachicon.gif20150615_175924.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_175938.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_180008.jpgattachicon.gif20150615_180016.jpg

I missed this gem of a post. Did you not understand that the per kilo chicken price on the label is the cooked price, and not the price of raw chicken. Should they be selling it to you cooked at the raw price. Notice that the boneless chicken has a higher per kilo cooked price. Less bones - more chicken.

You certainly went to a lot of trouble taking photos of cooked chicken, all to prove you don't have a clue what's going on. I wonder what they thought of you at the store?

When I buy cooked chicken at Tops Central it's 290 baht per kilo. Oh, woe is me! sad.png The raw price is less than half of that.

Yeah you clearly missed a lot, actually so much that it almost seems you're blind.

You missed that Big C has a large sign that says FREE COOKING SERVICE.

You also missed that in contrast with that the label says "boneless", ALL the items inside the packages contain a bone. You also missed that the labels that say chicken breast actually are thigh WITH bone. Time to go to Top Charoen for you.

And I don't give a flying fag where you buy your chicken and at what price, because from your previous post it has become clear that you make up prices as you go just to sound interesting.

The raw chicken leg WITH bone, similar as what is in the package is sold at 75 Baht at Big C, so the FREE COOKING SERVICE they advertise cost actually 135 Bht /kg.

Before you start again, I don't know what it cost in Spain or Italy, and that is also the least of my concern, since my post was about Big C extra Pattaya Klang.

I think dude is just starving for attention.

Nobody forces you to read or comment.

What makes your thread so ridiculous is that you jump on anyone who disagrees with your theories and you get very personal and start attacking the poster - rather than debating the material presented. It's an extremely childish way to debate.

The fact remains that your little photographic excursions to Big C Extra don't prove jack about inflation rates in Thailand. The most they demonstrate is bad shop management, if anything at all. The only decent useful information presented so far in this thread was the post above by Thaibob, showing the inflationary trend in Thailand over the last 10 years.

You might want to get out of Big C Extra and explore other options. The cooked food there is mediocre at best and not worth half the price they charge IMO. I can't eat it. Look at the bright side. If inflation is directly linked to Big C Extra cooked food prices, your own personal inflation rate will immediately drop.biggrin.png

What makes your thread so ridiculous is that you jump on anyone who disagrees with your theories and you get very personal and start attacking the poster - rather than debating the material presented. It's an extremely childish way to debate.

You mean mogandave's comment was some kind of debate?

To me it looked more like a personal attack that added nothing, zilch, nada to the thread.

Edited by Anthony5

You mean mogandave's comment was some kind of debate?

To me it looked more like a personal attack that added nothing, zilch, nada to the thread.

I think mogandave was right on the money.

The fact remains that your little photographic excursions to Big C Extra don't prove jack about inflation rates in Thailand. The most they demonstrate is bad shop management, if anything at all. The only decent useful information presented so far in this thread was the post above by Thaibob, showing the inflationary trend in Thailand over the last 10 years.

You might want to get out of Big C Extra and explore other options. The cooked food there is mediocre at best and not worth half the price they charge IMO. I can't eat it. Look at the bright side. If inflation is directly linked to Big C Extra cooked food prices, your own personal inflation rate will immediately drop.biggrin.png

My thread started with some pictures taken at Big C, but Big C was never the topic of the thread, the topic was inflation.

Nobody can deny that the price for Thai dishes at restaurants that are mainly visited by Thai people have at least doubled over the past 4-5 year.

You can of course, since I notice you even gave a LIKE to a poster who claimed that at his food court the prices haven't even increase 1%.

Or who get 3 large Changs at a bar at a price 41 Baht below whole sale price.

Or buys a bottle of LPG at 400 Baht, I think that will be half a bottle then.

And links the foreign exchange rate to the inflation index in Thailand.

Now if you just dream up prices to make your point then there is no reasonable debate.

Denial ain't a river in Egypt.

What makes you think I was talking about you?

I guess if the shoe fits...

You could have been more specific in your comments, but my apologies if I took it on the wrong foot, so if it wasn't directed at me then I can think only about one other.

What a bummer for Tropo who agreed that you were right on the money.gigglem.gif

Edited by Anthony5

Nobody can deny that the price for Thai dishes at restaurants that are mainly visited by Thai people have at least doubled over the past 4-5 year.

You can of course, since I notice you even gave a LIKE to a poster who claimed that at his food court the prices haven't even increase 1%.

Or who get 3 large Changs at a bar at a price 41 Baht below whole sale price.

Or buys a bottle of LPG at 400 Baht, I think that will be half a bottle then.

And links the foreign exchange rate to the inflation index in Thailand.

Now if you just dream up prices to make your point then there is no reasonable debate.

Denial ain't a river in Egypt.

I don't know any Thai paying double at the food court from 5 years ago.

Bla Bla Bar often has the 100bht promotion, search for it in the CM forum, plenty of us have been there.

Dunno about the gas, I call a man and he comes and changes it, it might be 15Kg.

For expats, exchange rate is part of out daily expenses.

Anyone basing their buying on a shopping trip to BigC or Tesco, gotta be something wrong with them.

These sorts of shops aren't discount stores like they are in the west.

This thread is absolutely hilarious. Hope it keeps going for a long time. It's pissing down rain, is cold and windy, but all is well with the world when I can crack a smile reading some of these posts about inflation.

You missed that Big C has a large sign that says FREE COOKING SERVICE.

You also missed that in contrast with that the label says "boneless", ALL the items inside the packages contain a bone. You also missed that the labels that say chicken breast actually are thigh WITH bone. Time to go to Top Charoen for you.

And I don't give a flying fag where you buy your chicken and at what price, because from your previous post it has become clear that you make up prices as you go just to sound interesting.

The raw chicken leg WITH bone, similar as what is in the package is sold at 75 Baht at Big C, so the FREE COOKING SERVICE they advertise cost actually 135 Bht /kg.

I use that free cooking service myself occasionally as it beats polluting my condo with BBQ fumes, and I've never paid more than the raw price. I've not done it with chicken, admittedly.

But I have noticed that they often get labels and prices wrong in BigC, so maybe this is just an instance of an employee not knowing which product is which? I've also noticed that when they stick on the "sale" labels in the evening the weight on those labels doesn't always correspond to the weight on the original label underneath.

Other supermarkets make similar errors. I always check every per kilo price and weight on every stuck-on label when I shop here. And it's rare not to spot errors.

Nobody forces you as well to read the thread, if you are of that opinion, and dreaming up prices that exist only in your head doesn't add anything to the thread.

You force me to read the thread. I have notifications come up whenever you reply to my posts. I'd rather you stop, but as long as you keep this personal I'll be back.... If you just posted factually, without all the drama and crying, it would have stopped long ago.

No one is suggesting you're dreaming up prices. For goodness sake, you're even taken photos of chicken in the store to prove you point. OCD comes to mind.

The problem you have is thinking your "cooked-rice index" indicates the general level of inflation in Thailand.

Edited by tropo

But I have noticed that they often get labels and prices wrong in BigC, so maybe this is just an instance of an employee not knowing which product is which? I've also noticed that when they stick on the "sale" labels in the evening the weight on those labels doesn't always correspond to the weight on the original label underneath.

Other supermarkets make similar errors. I always check every per kilo price and weight on every stuck-on label when I shop here. And it's rare not to spot errors.

They do this at Tops, Central too. The discounted cooked item's discount stickers don't match the weight of the items. This is not a mistake, but intentional. They look for a certain price and adjust the weight to match the price. All discounted items have the same weight (on the sticker).

The raw chicken leg WITH bone, similar as what is in the package is sold at 75 Baht at Big C,

Seems that BigC is taking notice. Good to see they have adjusted the price to a reasonable level.

Nobody forces you as well to read the thread, if you are of that opinion, and dreaming up prices that exist only in your head doesn't add anything to the thread.

You force me to read the thread. I have notifications come up whenever you reply to my posts. I'd rather you stop, but as long as you keep this personal I'll be back.... If you just posted factually, without all the drama and crying, it would have stopped long ago.

No one is suggesting you're dreaming up prices. For goodness sake, you're even taken photos of chicken in the store to prove you point. OCD comes to mind.

The problem you have is thinking your "cooked-rice index" indicates the general level of inflation in Thailand.

Who said it was me who is dreaming up prices, the prices I mentioned have been supported with pictures, it has been you who have been dreaming up prices.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/827960-another-sign-of-low-inflation-in-thailand/?p=9710642

tropo

Posted 2015-08-07 20:54:36

Re Talley's garden peas, you can buy them per kilo under 100 baht at Foodland, Friendship, Tops Central and Big C Extra.

By the way, when you gonna add anything useful to the thread, because the only thing you have posted so far is that everyone is wrong, but you still have failed to post some facts.

When we first lived here full time about 10 years ago ,I remember the chicken place on sukhumvit (the one that looks like a castle,where the tours go,) They used to have two cooked chickens for 120 baht and there were 71 of them to a pound,so lots of inflation in Thailand