importing motor, help required.

does anybody have any knowledge as how to import an engine and gearbox into Thailand ?

i am looking at importing a complete engine from australia, a v8 complete with gearbox and all electrical components.

has anybody tried this before ?

rob

• 2 weeks later...

. If I were you, I'd just go to a place where you can buy second hand engines, gear boxes, etc.. and let them do the paperwork.

I'm very certain that they'll find ways to get your needed parts to Bangkok, a Thai will pick it up and you're not involved in any of these transactions.

I remember you from a thread about Ubon and there's a big shop at the ring road, not too far away from Central World, but on the other side

. ( Coming from Sisaket/Kantharalom.

Best of luck from lower Northeast. -wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Isn't there a big tarriff/tax/fine/levy against anything over a 3.0 ?????

No, it isn't, but usually its easier to import engines from Japan, than from the US. Therefore all those Lexus V8 on the market.

I would recommend to go for a Lexus V8. 1 UZ or 2 UZ. Easier for parts, same rumble sound as en American Chevy and plenty of power. No headache! They are in stock in Bang Na, usually about 35 to 45'k (not including installation in your vehicle) Complete installation cost approx. another 50'k (if you want to have it right).

lexus v8 , hmmm interesting !

any idea as to horse power of lexus ?

and i suppose they can do a tuff automatic box to suit ?

rob

In its standard, original trim with 10:1 compression, power output is 191 kW (256 hp), torque of 353 N�m (260 ft�lbf).[1]

http://www.lexusv8conversions.co.za/p/206822/lexus-v8-engine-technical-data-

Sound?:

Edited by lostinisaan

As mentioned earlier, go to Chiang Khong near Bang na where you will find hundreds of shops selling imported engines.

The most popular V8 conversion is the Lexus 1UZ-FE engine. If you get one, make sure you get the correct wiring harness, ECM and the auto transmission box.

Lots of info on the web, just google, Lextreme.

I put a 1UZ-FE engine in a 1969 Chev C10 pickup over here, works well once you get all the wiring sorted out..!!!

Also make sure you get all the correct paperwork and invoices from the shop, otherwise you will have problems when you change the engine number in the vehicles registration book.

Ok sounds nice and all with ok numbers but NOT like a Chevy! That's just blasphemous and I'm not even a Chevy fan, but American V8's have a unique sound that "snaps" unlike any other anywhere and that's really irrefutable.

Ok sounds nice and all with ok numbers but NOT like a Chevy! That's just blasphemous and I'm not even a Chevy fan, but American V8's have a unique sound that "snaps" unlike any other anywhere and that's really irrefutable.

You pay loads for irrefutable!

Yeah well you've been living in Asia too long, some things can't be copied and only the original will suffice. It may serve a purpose but I just wanted to make the point that it's not as good as the original, an American V8.

You need the right mufflers. Check this one:

A parent of one of my students fitted one into a Toyota Hilux Vigo.. Sounded sweet!

How much would that cost ?

Depend on what car and how many modifications have to be done. Including drive shaft balance, etc.

The biggest part is the electronic installation, connect with your analog dashboard. For analog tachometer you need special sensors with electronic and mechanical conection for the automatic transmission and ECU. There is so many thing. Mosthly you need a 4 core radiator for cooling, otherwise it will overheat. You need a oil cooler as well. Ususally they have hydraulic controlled engine fans, connected to a oil pump, outside the engine. But instead of hydraulic fans, you can use electric ones. Also you need a nice twin exhaust system for a sweet sound. Usually have to install all new fuel, hydraulic and water hoses. Fuel hoses need to be for high pressure, otherwise they blast.

Engine and tranny cost approx. 35'k. Sometime you need another engine oil pan and modification of the engine oil pump, depend on car and model. You need a tranny oil cooler (outside engine radiator) so the possibilities of failure of your water radiator, which could ruin your tranny, will be eliminated.

To install everything properly, you need to calculate about 50 to 60 grand extra. So the whole conversation will cost approx. 100'k (3'000 USD), which isn't expensive for the fun you'll get!

That Lexus engine is probably very good but it's an entirely different approach than an American engine. The Lexus is built around smooth horsepower and the Chevy 350 is built around raw torque. Chain that Lexus back to back to the Chevy and the Chevy will skid the wheels off that Lexus before the Chevy gets to 2,000 RPM.

"There is no replacement for displacement". This is the American hot rodders theme and it's why we have the bigger cube engines. The Chevy has nearly 50% more displacement (cubic inches/CC's) than the Lexus. (The Chevy 350 is 5.7L.) The Lexus won't develop much power until it gets to almost 3,000 RPM because it's a small engine that relies on RPM to develop power. By then the Chevy is well into it's torque band and torque is what we actually feel as "power" on the street. Forget horsepower although the Chevy has more. It's all about torque which twists the wheels and gets and keeps it accelerating. It takes cubes to do that.

Also, the more the displacement the deeper the tone. Ask any guitar player why bass strings are thicker and longer. You can't get there with small. (if you know what I mean, LOL.) whistling.gif

Cheers

post-164212-0-50368400-1435271583_thumb.

Edited by NeverSure

A parent of one of my students fitted one into a Toyota Hilux Vigo.. Sounded sweet!

How much would that cost ?

Depend on what car and how many modifications have to be done. Including drive shaft balance, etc.

The biggest part is the electronic installation, connect with your analog dashboard. For analog tachometer you need special sensors with electronic and mechanical conection for the automatic transmission and ECU. There is so many thing. Mosthly you need a 4 core radiator for cooling, otherwise it will overheat. You need a oil cooler as well. Ususally they have hydraulic controlled engine fans, connected to a oil pump, outside the engine. But instead of hydraulic fans, you can use electric ones. Also you need a nice twin exhaust system for a sweet sound. Usually have to install all new fuel, hydraulic and water hoses. Fuel hoses need to be for high pressure, otherwise they blast.

Engine and tranny cost approx. 35'k. Sometime you need another engine oil pan and modification of the engine oil pump, depend on car and model. You need a tranny oil cooler (outside engine radiator) so the possibilities of failure of your water radiator, which could ruin your tranny, will be eliminated.

To install everything properly, you need to calculate about 50 to 60 grand extra. So the whole conversation will cost approx. 100'k (3'000 USD), which isn't expensive for the fun you'll get!

Yep 100k. Guy at my old work had his done. drive in/drive out conversion exactly 100k plus the old Toyota engine and transmission.

conversion was very neat and infact looked OEM with the bonnet up.

Edited by Don Mega

LS3 engines with trannies second hand out of either the US or AU are reasonably cheap. Even new are reasonable in my opinion.

Can anybody give an indication on what charges for Duty, Customs etc would be should either SH or New be considered.

That Lexus engine is probably very good but it's an entirely different approach than an American engine. The Lexus is built around smooth horsepower and the Chevy 350 is built around raw torque. Chain that Lexus back to back to the Chevy and the Chevy will skid the wheels off that Lexus before the Chevy gets to 2,000 RPM.

"There is no replacement for displacement". This is the American hot rodders theme and it's why we have the bigger cube engines. The Chevy has nearly 50% more displacement (cubic inches/CC's) than the Lexus. (The Chevy 350 is 5.7L.) The Lexus won't develop much power until it gets to almost 3,000 RPM because it's a small engine that relies on RPM to develop power. By then the Chevy is well into it's torque band and torque is what we actually feel as "power" on the street. Forget horsepower although the Chevy has more. It's all about torque which twists the wheels and gets and keeps it accelerating. It takes cubes to do that.

Also, the more the displacement the deeper the tone. Ask any guitar player why bass strings are thicker and longer. You can't get there with small. (if you know what I mean, LOL.) whistling.gif

Cheers

attachicon.gif51T44G5uTNL.jpg

Look, i'm an US Car freak, i had all the old toys. But you have to be fair

You can't compare a 7.5 liter GM muscle car engine with a 4 liter Lexus

But you can compare a 5 liter GM engine with a 4 liter Lexus, in the same decade. Yes, the Lexus has maybe less torque, but after 3'000 RPM, it's gonna move like a rocket up to 7'000 RMP and then the next gear kicks in with 3'000 RPM, there is no way for a 5 Liter Chevy engine, to follow. We have a four speed tranny with 2 overdrive. Therefore also the fuel consumption is quite low, because you can drive it 120km/h on 1'800 RPM.

What the US built in the nineties? Quite crapy V8 engines with a shameful 120 to 140 hp.

My 81 Olds had a 4.3 Liter fuel injected GM engine with a 105 HP. What a shame. It moved less then a 1.3 liter Corolla and i spent every day a fortune for gas, because every U Turn at full trottle and no move.

Old Muscle cars had much more HP, i know. There was a time, where Americans built "real cars" Also the new ones (Camaro, Mustang, Chasllenger, etc.) now getting much better. But again the Lexux UZ engne is from the early nineties. The transmission is perfect, kick down goes 2 step back, when you floor it. It goes really fast for a 4 liter.

Another thing: We are in Thailand, not in US, therefore, if you want to save costs, you better go for the Lexus. Easier for parts. Easier for maintenance, lower on fuel, and the sound it's almost the same.

When i mean sound: I want a real deep V8 Sound, not a canny raspy sound. Most of V8 peaple don't know how to build exhoust systems, to create a nice sound. Finally they get a canny raspy sound, which is wrong, in my opinion.

I have this engine now 10 year in my Olds and i converted many other cars with the same type of engine. I never had any troubles. Can go everywhere, in other words: It's a everyday car, with out any troubles

Of corse if you have unlimited funds to spend you can import some nice 572 cubic inch GM engine, with a hurst tranny from "YEAR ONE" or what ever. But it will cost big bucks, unless you get a GM engine from Japan, which is unusual.

Edited by stingray

Cheers

attachicon.gif51T44G5uTNL.jpg

and after the chev peaks... the 1uz walks away from it........ revs also count.

throw some turbo's onto the 1UZ and you enter another world that the chev will not keep up with (with the same turbo's).

^^^

We are talking about a 5.7 liter here, and apparently forgetting about those that have gone and do go into Camaros and Vettes starting in the early 1990's. It isn't necessary to go back to the 1960's to find muscle cars. The new ones will outrun those old ones. The new Z06 Corvette develops 650 horsepower and more important, 650 ft lbs of torque. It will run away and hide from any Lexus.

I personally believe that the Lexus is a much better car with much more refined ride and handling and a longer life expectancy. I suspect it would win a road race with corners involved. It simply can't outrun a built (whether factory or hopped up) performance Chevy in a straight line. That new Corvette goes 0 - 60 mph (roughly 0 - 100 kph) in 2.7 seconds and is reaching about 130 mph (210 kph) at the end of a 1/4 mile (.4 kms).

As hobbyists we do have access to a lot of engines and aftermarket parts that will make a stock engine run hard, especially if it came as a so-called but detuned high performance engine because those still had the big valves as a platform to start with. They were ruined beginning about 1970 by low compression, lousy spark advance timing, lousy cam grinds and so on. We call those smog engines but they just need pop up pistons, a recurved distributor, a better cam, performance carb and so on.

The top fuel dragsters run some variation of the Chrysler 426 hemi platform, and no Lexus engine no matter the mods belongs on that stage.

There is no replacement for displacement.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure