Windows 7updates not installing, getting error message

steveb6

Dotnet and Silverlight, what a pain in the a. Microsoft used to have a program called fixit which you downloaded and clicked on a box which described your particular problem and fix it did just that fix it. This seems to have been discontinued. I find with both these items its easier just to uninstall and this includes cleaning out registry entries and then just downloading and installing the latest version from Microsoft. Obviously takes longer than installing the update but a lot less heartache.

Dotnet and Silverlight, what a pain in the a. Microsoft used to have a program called fixit which you downloaded and clicked on a box which described your particular problem and fix it did just that fix it. This seems to have been discontinued. I find with both these items its easier just to uninstall and this includes cleaning out registry entries and then just downloading and installing the latest version from Microsoft. Obviously takes longer than installing the update but a lot less heartache.

Yep, there were a lot of remnants of older versions of Dotnet being left behind when updates are made that make updating Dotnet fail. One of the fix-its was to remove these remnants. The Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool does this. Apps like Samsung KIES often lock some of the files from being updated to the proper versions properly.

If the OP has Samsung KIES I suggest the OP uninstall it until Dotnet has the proper updates. It only aggravates

the problem.

I just looked at my computer. The last time Dotnet 4.5.2 was updated to 4.5.51209 was back in February. Sounds like the OP has had a problem with proper Dotnet updates for a while.

How about not worrying about it?

If you are using Vista I would suggest updating to a later O/S. And Win10 is supposed to be available in July - perhaps waiting a few months into the "free download" period may alleviate any "bugs". I am definitely NOT an early adopter!

You may not be able to upgrade Vista to Win10 but you could perhaps upgrade to Win8 then to Win10? Current problem solved.

As an earlier poster said, back up your data first.

Yep, there were a lot of remnants of older versions of Dotnet being left behind when updates are made that make updating Dotnet fail. One of the fix-its was to remove these remnants. The Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool does this. Apps like Samsung KIES often lock some of the files from being updated to the proper versions properly.

If the OP has Samsung KIES I suggest the OP uninstall it until Dotnet has the proper updates. It only aggravates

the problem.

I just looked at my computer. The last time Dotnet 4.5.2 was updated to 4.5.51209 was back in February. Sounds like the OP has had a problem with proper Dotnet updates for a while.

Good to note. I installed KIES when I got a new dual-SIM phone in Amsterdam. Never found a use for it and uninstalled it but could be coincident with some of my Windows updating misery. I know I had .net update conflicts a few years back on an XP brick.

Edited by NanLaew

I got so tired of Windows and all the B.S. that goes with it, that I finally bought a Mac Mini about 5 months ago, and couldn't be happier.

...and Mac Mini OS has never updates?

No. The mac OS just a tired version of Unix that keeps getting recycled as Mac (and cheese.) The cheese is a little sticky and attracts trolls who then stick to Windows forum threads.

Has anyone suggested a repair install, especially the option to install updates? That's available on Win 7 and doesn't lose files and folders like a clean install would.

Boot from a Windows install disk but choose "upgrade" (will repair if it's the same OS) instead of "custom".

If the upgrade (repair) won't run, browse the DVD for Setup, right click on it and choose "run as administrator" while in Windows.

Worth a try?

Edited by NeverSure

A couple more suggestions.

1 - Make sure the PC's clock is correctly syncing to time.windows.com and that the time zone is set correctly.

2 - For particularly difficult cases, forcing a rebuild of the update store has often worked for me. Go to Services under Control Panel/Administrative Tools and stop the Windows Update service. Then from explorer navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete everything in that folder. Reboot the machine and run update again. It will take quite a long time but will eventually rebuild the list of required updates.

• 2 weeks later...