Work Permit Before Applying B Visa...?

Hi all

I have just heard from my friend that he experienced a denial of visa issuance (non-imm B) at Thai Embassy in Tokyo very recently. According to his report, the receptionist of visa section said that an application of work permit is required prior to applying for B visa... He also said that most of the applicants of non-imm visa seemed not accepted. Formerly Tokyo was one of the easiest point to obtain B visa, but it seems not so now...

My question is, how does every applicant of B visa can obtain work permit in advance...? This is very ridiculous, I think so because B visa is the first authentic document for a foreigner to start working in Thailand... Am I wrong?

Another news source says similar request is imposed onto every B visa applicant at Penang, Kota Bharu as well.

I really wonder what the ###### is "work permit before obtaining B visa" ... Does anyone have a recent information about this issue?

Thanks for your information in advance.

KBT in BKK

Unless I am mistaken, it is impossible to obtain a work permit in Thailand without a non-immigrant B visa. I have never heard of anyone having his/her application for a non-immigrant B visa denied on the basis that he/she doesn't have a work permit or hasn't applied for one. Perhaps they mean that the applicant needs a letter from the prospective employer confirming details of employment in Thailand. It certainly would be odd if the Thai embassy in Tokyo was asking to see a work permit prior to issuing a non-imm B. It just doesn't make sense.

Thank you Bobcat, I do agree with your opinion. I also think it is quite a nonsense to talk about WP before obtaining B visa.

However, I found some doucuments on web which seem to be related to this issue...

Royal Thai Embassy in Tokyo "Required documents for Non-Immigration-B"

http://www.thaiembassy.jp/visa-e/nonb.htm

"... Letter of acceptance from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare (Alien Occupational Control Division, Department of Employment, ... For those foreigners who wish to work in Thailand, their employer in Thailand should submit Form WP3 (Application for applying a work permit on behalf of alien) together with other related documents such as a certificate issued by the Department of Commercial Registration, documentary evidence of educational qualifications, etc. at the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare. ..."

Royal Thai Embassy in Seoul "Application for Visa"

http://www.thaiembassy.or.kr/310.htm

"... Letter of acceptance from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare (Alien Occupational Control Division, Department of Employment ..."

And Royal Thai Consulate General in Los Angels "Important Information regarding Non-Immigrant Visas"

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/non-im.htm

"... For the purpose of employment in Thailand, the applicant must receive approval from the Ministry concerned , this means that the employer of the applicant must first apply ( by Form WP3) for and receive approval for the applicant's employment through the Alien Occupational Control Division, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare, ... Once the approval has been granted, the applicant would then attach this approval to his or her visa application and submit it to the Consulate. ..."

Do they mean that every applicant of B visa must first have his employer submit an application of WP in Thailand, obtain a "Letter of acceptance" from the ministry of labor and social welfare, and then the visa applicant can finally apply for B visa at overseas Thai embassy/consulate ...?

I also heard from another news source that B visa application in Vientiane does not require such kind of letter. However the embassy requests B visa applicants to submit a pile of documents similar to WP application...

Is this kind of severe teratment applied only to my nationality?

I would like further information... my allowance in Thailand will expire in another 10 days.

KBT

Thai Visa (this website) has spot on information on how to do it all.

See here.

I got my non-B in KL. You have to have that before you get your work permit. The problem, more than likely, is the lack of supporting documentation that is listed in the aformentioned link.

Baaaaa!

I know one situation when they would give a reply like that:

When the person requesting the Non-O (:o visa had been already in Thailand on a Non-O (:D without completing the paperwork for a work permit (which was the reason they got the first Non-O)...

There are several people trying to get these visas with semy fake paperwork... (real company, but not interested in hiring a foreigner, only a paper they are inviting the foreigner wich might end in employment).

In this case they flatly refuse to give you another visa, claiming you should have got your workpermit sorted out on your last visa...

Thai Visa (this website) has spot on information on how to do it all.

See here.

I got my non-B in KL. You have to have that before you get your work permit. The problem, more than likely, is the lack of supporting documentation that is listed in the aformentioned link.

Baaaaa!

Absolutely correct. The B visa is essential to enable one to apply for a work permit.

DrPP this is not strictly correct. You do not need a B visa to obtain a work permit. A work permit can be issued on any O or B visa, even a retirement visa. I have a work permit for 2 occupations and it was first obtained on an O type retirement visa. The work in this case is "employment" as opposed to running a company. There used to be a rule (I believe) that required a B visa to support a work permit and to obtain this B visa (outside the country) one had to produce many documenst including the company registration documents. This is still the case where the work permit is based upon a company with a 2m baht etc.etc registered share capital.