Lower Isaan provinces to be served with double track railway from 2022

webfact

Lower northeastern provinces to be served with double track railway from 2022

SURIN, 26 June 2015 (NNT) – The double track railway service to the northeastern region of Thailand is expected to commence from 2022 which will help develop Thailand as the logistics hub of ASEAN, an official was quoted in a public forum.

The Vice Governor of Surin Thavorn Kulchoti today presided over the public forum that presented details of the Chira Junction - Ubon Ratchathani double track railroad construction project, allowed the public to voice their opinion.

The project will see the construction of the meter gauge double track railroad that will allow express trains to travel at the speed of 160 kilometres per hour. The project will involve adjustments to the radius of the curves to allow trains to run faster, and the construction of an additional parallel track.

The 309 kilometers railroad section from Chira Junction to Ubon Ratchathani will see the construction of 34 stations throughout the areas of Nakhon Ratchasima, Buriram, Surin, Sisaket, and Ubon Ratchathani provinces. The project is expected to cause minimal environmental effects as the planned route does not cut through water sources, national parks, or any conservation areas.

Once completed, the line can be further extended to the Thailand - Laos border, creating an international commotion route along the East-West Corridor, which will help boost the development in the economy and encourage international trade. This could help Thailand become the logistics hub of the South East Asian region and improve the livelihood of people in the area.

The project construction is expected to be finished in 2021, while the services are set to commence by 2022.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-26 footer_n.gif

This looks to be the original SRT track-dualling project ?

At some point, once it's much clearer that the Chinese-line via Laos is underway and about to open, some of the track-dualling may need to be re-appraised, to avoid duplication of capacity ... or would that interrupt the flow of envelopes ?

Meanwhile the dualling of the line South to the Malaysian-border will be required in both cases, whether or not the Chinese-line to Laem-Chabang & Maptaput does also go to Bangkok, so perhaps might get priority ?

Why are they using that silly little toy track again - for a similar price they could lay the real Standard Gauge rolleyes.gif

I think this happened in India too. They continued the smaller gauge, because the trains were built to run on it.

Then, they built new rail lines for a wider gauge and for new trains.

In the end, wait for it ...

Trains had to meet, be off loaded, reloaded .. to finish the journey.

I am going to go hit myself in the face with a dead fish now .. it will hurt my head less.

have a nice day.

"creating an international commotion route"

I am not a railroad person, but is this a misprint or a typo?

I know what it is to cause a commotion, but with a train??? not sure!

com·mo·tion

kəˈmōSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. a state of confused and noisy disturbance.
    "she was distracted by a commotion across the street"
    • civil insurrection.
      "damage caused by civil commotion"

"The project is expected to cause minimal environmental effects as the planned route does not cut through water sources, national parks, or any conservation areas."

The thinking here, or lack of it, beggars belief. The above sentence is is what constitutes an EIS, apparently.

Edited by DeepInTheForest

com·mo·tion

kəˈmōSH(ə)n/
noun
    • civil insurrection.

Good spot there willy. This is about trains eh?

Lo co motion?

You may be old enough to remember this.

That's a plan then.

(err .. where is it going to go when it gets to the Laos border?)

(err 2 .. all high speed railways in the world are standard guage, 1.435m, or wider; never mind we are Thai and we don't care)

Memo to Junta:

Little less spent on submarines and toy trains.

Little more spend on infrastructure to keep the electricity on, even after two claps of thunder, and some more water infrastructure, maybe a desalination plant or two.

Glory projects like trains & submarines help keep your new BFF happy but do little to actually improve life for the majority

com·mo·tion

kəˈmōSH(ə)n/
noun
    • civil insurrection.

Good spot there willy. This is about trains eh?

Lo co motion?

You may be old enough to remember this.

Yes, Little EVA who went on to found her own airline. biggrin.png

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Yes, but this isn't a high-speed line, or even the medium-speed Chinese freight-line, it's just the on-going dualling of SRT's existing network slowly proceeding, and being hyped for publicity-purposes.

OK - so hands up anyone who knows about railways or railway engineering* if you would feel comfortable travelling non-"high speed" at 160kph on metre-wide track! Hands up if you know where this is done. Maybe OK if Thailand was to go for lower gauge loads, but I suspect they will put their 3m + wide carriages on it.

Bonkers on persisting with metre- wide if part of the raison-detre is to link-up regionally with other ASEAN/Asian countries. I would have thought they will also have to replace the old track if they are planning 160kph

*I'm from Railway stock (Doncaster railway works - my Dad rode the plate of 'Mallard' as a small boy, 2 days after it broke the land speed record) but I went all efete and middle class!