Signal Radiator For Gps

corkscrew

If you have an aftermarket GPS and you are having a problem capturing the signal through the windscreen this product works. We have aftermarket (Garmin) GPSs for our Bangkok based S and SLK cars. There is something in the windows of the S that blocks the signal. I bought a signal radiator that fixed things. Here is how it works: a magnetic aerial is placed on the roof...a wire leads to an internal aerial which rebroadcasts the signal to the Garmin. No extra wires are attached to the Garmin. The internal aerial can be hidden anywhere inside the car. The external aerial could be placed anywhere outside the car. It is a pretty neat solution.

Yes its a shame the euro manufacturers esp the premium cars are lightyears behind installing this technology as a feature.

Other makes to have the problem are the peugots and renaults I believe.

If you have an aftermarket GPS and you are having a problem capturing the signal through the windscreen this product works. We have aftermarket (Garmin) GPSs for our Bangkok based S and SLK cars. There is something in the windows of the S that blocks the signal. I bought a signal radiator that fixed things. Here is how it works: a magnetic aerial is placed on the roof...a wire leads to an internal aerial which rebroadcasts the signal to the Garmin. No extra wires are attached to the Garmin. The internal aerial can be hidden anywhere inside the car. The external aerial could be placed anywhere outside the car. It is a pretty neat solution.

I bought the same radiator.

I did work very well.

The problem I found was that it had a lot of cables showing and also used up a cigar lighter to make it work.

In the end I disposed of the radiator and just plugged the magnetic aerial directly into the back of the GPS. As I've had the power for the GPS unit hardwired this meant that I could hide all the wires behind the dash. It also seems to give a stronger signal being directly plugged in.

Cheers

Thanks for the information. I too was concerened about using up another cigar lighter outlet. While my Isuzu has 2 outlets they are both being used, one by my GPS and the other with my radar detector.

I have not hardwired my GPS( garmin Street Pilot 2620) because I like to take the GPS with me when I travelback to America. I can just plop it into a rental car and I am good to go.

Jim

Thanks for the information. I too was concerened about using up another cigar lighter outlet. While my Isuzu has 2 outlets they are both being used, one by my GPS and the other with my radar detector.

I have not hardwired my GPS( garmin Street Pilot 2620) because I like to take the GPS with me when I travelback to America. I can just plop it into a rental car and I am good to go.

Jim

I use the C320.

I am looking at buying a second unit , for similar reasons.

A couple of things to note. The battery lasts for about 4 hours , the package come with a charger for mains power , you can buy a second cradle/suction unit/car charger , the C320 can now be bought new (on EBAY) for around US$300.

These reasons may not apply to the 2620.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

If you want to buy a new unit you may consider nuvi series (http://www.garmin.com/automotive/products.html#automotive). In Thailand available only nuvi 300&310. They are more user friendly than C320. Easier to brose the map, change 3D to 2D, make a waypoint or find the coordinates using longitude and latitude. Not mention the GPS receiver SiRF III, which is much more sensitive than C320. And the pocket size. :o

Hello Moris,

They are more user friendly than C320. Easier to brose the map, change 3D to 2D, make a waypoint or find the coordinates using longitude and latitude. Not mention the GPS receiver SiRF III, which is much more sensitive than C320.

Clearly a NÜVI expert :o, do you have any experiance plugging it (or any GPS) into a laptop?

Having done my research here and on other sites, but have not found a magic answer to the question about maps covering Thailand. I've read that Thailand is availible for 12,000 Baht in BKK.

Comments anyone?

Hello Moris,
They are more user friendly than C320. Easier to brose the map, change 3D to 2D, make a waypoint or find the coordinates using longitude and latitude. Not mention the GPS receiver SiRF III, which is much more sensitive than C320.

Clearly a NÜVI expert :o, do you have any experiance plugging it (or any GPS) into a laptop?

Having done my research here and on other sites, but have not found a magic answer to the question about maps covering Thailand. I've read that Thailand is availible for 12,000 Baht in BKK.

Comments anyone?

My GPS, which I bought at Puntip Plaza, came bundled with Thai maps in English.

Comments anyone?

have a look here:

http://www.gadgetrend.com/gps_mapthailandinst.php

as in thailand only the nüvi 300 and 310 are available, i just ordered my nüvi 660 from abroad. the 660 has a bigger screen, which sould serve well while driving.

gadgetrend though could order the 660 for you from taiwan.

you have to pay a deposit of 30 %, wait 45 days and it sets you back 38.800 baht, including north american and thai map.

the 310 is 28'000 baht.

Hola Cuban :D Si senor, you can connect most of GPS to Laptop. The nuvi will be recognize as a hard drive though. So you can copy MP3, maps or whatever using “copy” and “paste”. But if you want to use maps on your laptop I would recommend other GPS receivers.

The nuvi is perfect for car navigation. Of course you can still use it while walking but the battery will last you for 4-8 hours (depending on the use; for example Bluetooth in nuvi 310).

Regarding maps for Thailand. Believe me you are not the first and not the last trying to find the answer. :o There is an official map of Thailand, now called City Navigator (the latest V.7) which works with Garmin. Price 11.200,- Baht. In my opinion the only professional map for GPS covering whole Thailand with plenty of POI (Points Of Interest: gas stations, hotels etc.). I hope it helps :D