Hard and soft boiled eggs in a microwave - easy, no mess.

There have been many threads on this but I can't find one like this. A friend emailed me this YouTube link and it's a great method for me. No more peeling eggs. I just had to figure out how long my microwave takes.

I start with cold water and it takes 50 seconds per egg. This vid takes a minute so mine must have a bit more power. I cook mine little more done, too. It does hard boiled too for salads, etc.

Cheers

Edited by NeverSure

Have to say that looks a mess - all I do is smear a little butter around a small bowl, break the egg into it and pierce the yoke with a toothpick or something else similar. Depending on power of microwave cook for approx 1 min - you will need to experiment - can always open the door after 45 secs and check

Several years ago I bought something like this. There is a reservoir at the bottom to add a little water. First couple of times it worked fine. The next time it blew up knocking out the microwave light and putting a dent in the top. biggrin.png

post-566-0-26419200-1436324487_thumb.jpg

Actually it's not a "soft boiled" egg, it's a common poached egg. I've been doing it for years. Break the egg in a microwave proof bowl, cover it with water. The trick is to-add a little vinegar so the white will cling to the yolk. My microwave takes about 1.5 minutes for a soft egg. It's great for breakfast., put a couple of eggs in the dish and toast a couple of pieces of bread. I drain mine in a slotted spoon and dry the egg with a paper towel. No need to prick the yolk unless you don't put enough water in and it boils off. As long as there is water the temp will not rise above 100 degrees. No fuss, no mess!

Thanks guys. I'd never heard of anything like this. I just bought some footed glass mugs that taper to a narrower round bottom which may work better than a flat bottom. I'm hoping that shapes the egg and holds it that way.

I've been making this every morning with two eggs and two slices of toast. I'm sure I'll get tired of it eventually.

@ JoePai - they don't splatter ever?

Cheers

post-164212-0-26201500-1436567027_thumb.