Land Transport Department mulls phasing out red car plates

webfact

Land Transport Department mulls phasing out red car plates

9-7-2558-13-03-55-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport Department is mulling the possibility of scrapping red car plates issued for newly-bought cars so they be used on road pending car registration.

Mr Thirapong Rodprasert, the department chief, said Thursday that he had an idea of phasing out the car red plates and would raise the issue for discussions with car dealers about the possibility of having newly-bought cars properly registered first before they are delivered to their buyers.

He said that several cars with red plates have been travelling on roads and some of them carrying the red plates for quite a long time apparently with an intention to avoid pay road taxes when they are registered, hence depriving the state of revenue that it should have received.

Besides, he pointed out some of the red-plated cars were used in committing crimes, making it difficult for the police to trace the cars because they have not been registered and without proper car plate numbers.

Mr Thirapong urged new car buyers to have their cars quickly registered assuring that the process would take just one day and they would get the new car plates within just one day.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/land-transport-department-mulls-phasing-out-red-car-plates

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-09

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...if the authorities are that slow, that one has to wait 3 months to receive the official registration plate,

Mr Thirapong Rodprasert should bark under a different tree to get it done.

I had to wait over 4 month once to get my registration issued.......TiT !!!

The car dealers sell you the car and take your money, but they don't want to pay for the car until months or years later. They can use your money while you are waiting for the registration. They are mostly running behind financially and will use your money to pay for a car the sd to someone else 3 or 4 months ago so that they can get their registration. You will have to wait for someone else to by a car so that this money can be used to pay for your car. There is no other reaso, no matter what excuses you are given, that is the truth. The registration can be done snake day if you start early in the morning. The person that is screaming the loudest at the car dealer will be the next one you get his paperwork done. It is kind of like a Ponzi Scheme and in some cases it ends up like one as well.

...if the authorities are that slow, that one has to wait 3 months to receive the official registration plate,

Mr Thirapong Rodprasert should bark under a different tree to get it done.

I had to wait over 4 month once to get my registration issued.......TiT !!!

Don't blame authorities but your dealer.

Not to mention the numerology voodoo having people waiting for months until they get the numbers they want on the plates..

It's surprising how many Thais are actually into the "numbers". Even my "I thought she was very westernized" friend went bonkers when she got the white plates and it had numbers she didn't want on it. She was very close to taking it back and changing it.

There are websites that sell special number plates and they go for some crazy money ... or satangs.

When I purchased my new car last year it took three months to get the proper plate and this was only because I harassed the dealer so much they got fed up with me. I see no reason whatsoever why the proper registration documents cannot be made immediately available with a new vehicle.

The car dealers sell you the car and take your money, but they don't want to pay for the car until months or years later. They can use your money while you are waiting for the registration. They are mostly running behind financially and will use your money to pay for a car the sd to someone else 3 or 4 months ago so that they can get their registration. You will have to wait for someone else to by a car so that this money can be used to pay for your car. There is no other reaso, no matter what excuses you are given, that is the truth. The registration can be done snake day if you start early in the morning. The person that is screaming the loudest at the car dealer will be the next one you get his paperwork done. It is kind of like a Ponzi Scheme and in some cases it ends up like one as well.

I did not know this but can believe it.

I bought my new Nissan in September last year but told the dealer I didn't want my white plates until January, this way when I get the blue book for it, it is classed as a 2015 vehicle not the previous year. Good for when you want to sell it.

You buy a new car or bike the dealer might give you a red plate if they have 1

My car never got 1, my bike had a red plate for nearly a year

Am sure the rego was paid the day I bought it as the following year rego was due on that day in July

And as moct vehicles are bought on finance they have to be registered and insured as well to obtain finance

I got a fine for no plate on my car about 3 months after I bought it

So went to the dealer and they paid it for me (500bht)

My plate turned up about 3 weeks after that

Not sure why a proper plate is not supplied at time of purchase, but this would be a good idea

I bought my new Nissan in September last year but told the dealer I didn't want my white plates until January, this way when I get the blue book for it, it is classed as a 2015 vehicle not the previous year. Good for when you want to sell it.

What do they do with the year stamped into the body tags ?

What do they do with the year stamped into the body tags ?

Dealers are only interested in when the car was first registered, not when it was made.

And what about the serial number ( on a little plate ) of your car which is riveted inside the engine compartment ?

With it ( the serial number ) you can know everything about the model ;

there is another serial number which is inside the engine block ...

Even you have a 2015 " class model" on the paper; it's very easy to know it's in fact a 2014 model . tongue.png

I agree Phase out satang They service no purpose other than collecting dust

Or you could make charm bracelet for the little lady with them. Just a thought.

A bracelet made of satang coins.......no way!!!.......gold thank you very much!

Why not issue the dealerships with a list of registration numbers and their garage make up the plates when you come to collect your new car? What is the point of red number plates anyway apart from being an inconvienience to the owner?

Out in the provinces they don't even bother with red plates! Plateless cars drive past my local police station without a care in the world.

I had to wait some months to get my white plates. Now I know why. It cost me a 100baht fine (into state revenue??) for driving out of district and had no plate for at least 2 months.

Certainly a strange way to run a motor registration system.

It is very strange this way of handling car and MC registrations.

In this article they say that you could have your proper registration plate within a day. I always had to eait up to 2 months for mine.

But I have a theory about this. I think the dealers have their veichles on comisssion from the manufacturers, and only have to pay them when they are sold.

So if they try to wait as long as possible to register the sale, they get intterest rates from the bank on the money. Correct me if I am wrong. I cant find any other reason to postpone a proper registration.