Thai university 'accidentally' sells 3 tons of rare books to recyclers

webfact

University 'Accidentally' Sells 3 Tons of Rare Books to Recyclers
By Khaosod English

14364360791436436609l.jpg
File photo of Silpakorn University in Bangkok [Matichon].

BANGKOK — A prominent state university in Thailand is frantically buying back 3,000 kilograms of rare books and magazines that it mistakenly sold as recycling materials to a vendor for 6,000 baht last week.

According to Matichon, library staff at Silpakorn University's Thapra campus arranged for a recycling truck to pick up piles of books and magazines that were marked for disposal at the library on 30 June. However, the staff somehow mixed up the order and gave away 3 tons of the library's archival collections instead, at the meager price of 2 baht per kilogram, according to university officials.

The collection includes essays, books, pamphlets, and dissertations on historical and anthropological subjects in Thailand. The collection also reportedly included magazines published by student activists in the years leading up to the 1973 student uprising that toppled the military junta at the time.

Matichon said the university administration discovered the mix-up a few days later, and ordered an investigation into the incident.

"Silpakorn University has already convened a committee to investigate to see how many important books are missing," said Sakdipan Tanwimolrat, director of Silpakorn University's library department.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1436436079&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-10

However, the staff somehow mixed up the order and gave away 3 tons of the library's archival collections instead

Probably because they couldn't be bothered to read the labels! Reading is not a very popular pastime in Thailand for sure!

What's the chances that the recycler still has them as they represented money to him and he would be looking to make a profit asap ?

If he does still have some / all and has heard the story I'm sure he'll be happy to sell them back but it won't be for Bt 6,000. rolleyes.gif

What's the chances that the recycler still has them as they represented money to him and he would be looking to make a profit asap ?

If he does still have some / all and has heard the story I'm sure he'll be happy to sell them back but it won't be for Bt 6,000. rolleyes.gif

One thing for sure............he won't be reading them.

However, the staff somehow mixed up the order and gave away 3 tons of the library's archival collections instead

Probably because they couldn't be bothered to read the labels! Reading is not a very popular pastime in Thailand for sure!
Oh it is, if its on an iphone walking to the skytrain !!

rijit

this will get interesting when we find that some military figures ordered the recycling ....... all books not authorised by the government will be censored before returned

Not returning ,, reburning ?!!!!:D

rijit

i would venture a guess that those who were tasked with physically handling the movement of books etc were from a labor group who can barely spell their name. no0 supervision was provided of course as that would be beneath their position/title

I'm not a 'conspiracy theorist' but was it Thaksin who gave a 'hidden order'?

I am not paranoid, but why is everyone watching me and texting each-other about what I do?

Inactive books- inactive history.

Sometimes unskilled workers are worth the meager pay...

Now I expect a horde of Winston Smith's at the "Ministry of Truth" is rewriting the most important scripts already from their "memory".

Edited by Lupatria

i would venture a guess that those who were tasked with physically handling the movement of books etc were from a labor group who can barely spell their name. no0 supervision was provided of course as that would be beneath their position/title

No it'll be those burmese's fault :D

rijit