Trial opens for journalists charged with defaming Thai navy

webfact

Sorry 'snowgard', but you should really aquaint yourself with Thai Defamation Laws before posting your drivel.

In Thailand it doesn't matter whether what was written/copied/published by Phuketwan happened to be true or a lie. The deciding factor is whether what was written was damaging to the Thai Navy's 'reputation'. The fact that it was true or false and/or a quote of Reuters is beside the Point

That is your opinion, but not mine. Fact is as a journalist you have to check your stories are conform with the law. The most people here know how the Computer Crime Act and the defamation laws are here. Thailand is not the USA with their much more softer defamation laws. So you have to play by the rules and nothing would be happen.

His Problem is that him are in Thailand. They can beat him up!!! Reuters not, they are not here!!! But who know it. Maybe they wanted also the Reuters Journalist who wrote this story. I don't believe they make it public.

My opinion is: If you live in Thailand you have to live to the Thai Law and not to your homecountry law.

All other is now in the hand of the judge!!!

Edited by snowgard

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the Phuket site reposted excerpts from an original report by Reuters.

I have read the Reuters report. It is still online and was published in July 2013.

The Reuters report directly implicates the Thai Navy based on interviews conducted with refugees and smugglers.

In my view, the Reuters report is a reasonable and ethical piece of investigative journalism.

The Thai Navy refuted the Reuters report in under 2 days. This makes clear that the Navy did not conduct an investigation, despite serious allegations by a respected news organization.

In many places a defamation case like this would never be accepted by a court. In Thailand the barrier is very low.

Lets hope justice is served.

+1.

Also,

"Human rights activists and foreign governments have long accused Thai authorities of collusion in the trafficking industry but police, military and government officials have denied the allegations."

"The U.S. State Department downgraded Thailand in its 2014 Trafficking in Persons report, designating it as a country that has not made sufficient progress in tackling human trafficking or made significant efforts to do so. The U.S. report recommended that Thailand stop bringing criminal defamation cases against researchers or journalists who report on human trafficking."

So human rights activists and governments including the US are on the same page as these reporters--who do you think is on the wrong side of history then? It seems obvious.

As you point out:

"The contested report by the online news website was excerpted from an extensive story published by the international news agency Reuters in July 2013."

And

"The Reuters story was one of a series about persecution of the Rohingya that won the agency the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting."

the story won a Pulitzer.

"Reuters was not sued."

As you also pointed out, the Navy appears to have done no investigation. Instead they're going on the attack when it appears they were caught dead to rights.

Sorry 'snowgard', but you should really aquaint yourself with Thai Defamation Laws before posting your drivel.

In Thailand it doesn't matter whether what was written/copied/published by Phuketwan happened to be true or a lie. The deciding factor is whether what was written was damaging to the Thai Navy's 'reputation'. The fact that it was true or false and/or a quote of Reuters is beside the Point

That is your opinion, but not mine. Fact is as a journalist you have to check your stories are conform with the law. The most people here know how the Computer Crime Act and the defamation laws are here. Thailand is not the USA with their much more softer defamation laws. So you have to play by the rules and nothing would be happen.

His Problem is that him are in Thailand. They can beat him up!!! Reuters not, they are not here!!! But who know it. Maybe they wanted also the Reuters Journalist who wrote this story. I don't believe they make it public.

My opinion is: If you live in Thailand you have to live to the Thai Law and not to your homecountry law.

All other is now in the hand of the judge!!!

Reuters has an office in Bangkok on Saladaeng. I know someone who works there producing news articles all day everyday.

Reuters has an office in Bangkok on Saladaeng. I know someone who works there producing news articles all day everyday.

But the Navy can't sued Reuters staff in the BKK Office. They can sue only the journalists who wrote and published the story and the website/newspaper where it was published.

Actions speak louder than words... we don't really even have to say it... because it's so clear, the caliber of the people running this "show". Do the people forcing this lawsuit have any idea how they look to the rest of the world? And they want people to respect them? cheesy.gif . Amateurs

They exist in their own wonderland of Thainess and are above and away to be worried about being understood by the rest of the world.

As far as I'm aware the Phuketwan guy actually assisted with the Reuters report. He provided information for them.

Can anyone confirm that!

no, the girl did some work for them

SO I was correct then as she is a journalist for Phuketwan.

nope you said guy / he, must be woman /she

As far as I'm aware the Phuketwan guy actually assisted with the Reuters report. He provided information for them.

Can anyone confirm that!

So your HONESTLY suggesting that he boss wouldn't be involved!

Can anyone confirm that!

So your HONESTLY suggesting that he boss wouldn't be involved!

yes, she just ran some errants wasn't major work at all. in their minds maybe

Prayuth's credibility is on the line here. The fact that it has already gone to trial has already diminished his credibility.

... in your (and people like you) eyes. but seems like Khun Prayut does not care too much about this. so relax a bit smile.png

He'll care when sanctions are extended.

But the Navy can't sued Reuters staff in the BKK Office. They can sue only the journalists who wrote and published the story and the website/newspaper where it was published.

You know that for a fact? As to reasoning, why?

Because you can start legal actions only against the writer/publisher and the office who published it. And the Reuters Report was not published in Thailand.

So they can't sued Reuter staff in Thailand because they have nothing to do with it.

Edited by snowgard