Bike shops (with L, XL, 19" frame bikes)

Payanak212

I am having enormous difficulty finding a bike shop that has bike sizes suitable for a 6ft male. Everywhere I have been has told me that they only have medium or around 16" frames and that if I want to order it would cost me extra and I may have to wait up to 6 months.

I am looking for a 19" frame mountain bike with 29" wheels, Deore/SLX drive chain or equivalent. Budget 30-60K.

I'm pulling my hair out in frustration and would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer here.

Thanks

I don't know where you are located so I can't offer much help locating a bike shop. However, have you thought of just buying a frame and building everything up from there? You don't even need the front shock at that point just the frame.

A good source would be http://www.thaimtb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=103352 There isn't any problem sourcing shocks, group sets etc. The only downside is the site is in Thai so you'll need some assistance with the language. they list all kinds of new/second bikes for sale.

Another good shop is https://www.facebook.com/NakornthaiBike they carry both road and MTB.

Bicycle Thailand is an English language site which has a comprehensive list of bike shops throughout Thailand which should be of help as it also lists the brands that many of the shops carry.

If you want to browse through thousands of second hand bikes head down to the Thai-Cambodian border market just south of Surin. There you'll see bikes in all sizes and types. Get a second hand one with a decent frame and do your own build.

I hope this helps.

In Bangkok, I'd suggest ProBike at Lumphini park, they often carry a selection of larger frames in stock.

Or if you don't mind lightly used and 27.5", I happen to be selling my old Commencal Meta AM HT in a size L with SRAM X0/X9, will be posting to Thai MTB this weekend. You can PM me for more details if you're interested.

Im looking for a mountain bike. I'm located in Bangkok. Thanks

Merida Matts 40D with 18" frame is around 16k, widely available in BK, or by mail order.

It should fit you (it fits me and I'm 6').

Im looking for a mountain bike. I'm located in Bangkok. Thanks

Merida Matts 40D with 18" frame is around 16k, widely available in BK, or by mail order.

It should fit you (it fits me and I'm 6').

Not a 29er though is it :-)

Cyclesport is the Merida importer, and they do bring in some of there Big Nine 29er models as well. Only problem with Merida is they sell out quick for the more popular models. To order one takes around 6 months to arrive, if not in stock.

Just thought I've also got a 21" Merida Big Nine Lite Team Issue frame and wheels lying around as well!

Edited by moonoi

Lots of bike shops in BKK. Probike near Lumpini Park, turn left when you come out of Probike and another shop is just further up the road, Culture Cyclist? Right across the park is a Big Specialized shop. KM8 has a lot of stock they are near Lak Si. Lots more shops but normally you have to call them or do a tour around to see what they have. You might be able to get a complete Surly Ogre from Piriya. 18 or 19 frame size can be found in Thailand, its normally the largest size Thai shops stock but fine for 180cm tall people.

Welcome to Thailand, @Payank212. Since the average Thai buys an S or M frame, that's what bike shops usually stock. There are some L models imported for the occasional "beanpole" but XL is very rare indeed. My size is also 19"-20" for mountain bike frames, so I am facing the same difficulties. Best not to bother with the small shops and ring up the importers/distributors directly. For example, KHCycle for Scott bikes, Sport Bicycles for Specialized, and so on. Ask them what L frames they have in their warehouse and with a bit of luck, you find what you are looking for. I happen to know that there are a couple of midrange Specialized 29er hardtail bikes available at the moment. 2015 models.

Good luck!

Cheers, CM-Expat

Welcome to Thailand, @Payank212. Since the average Thai buys an S or M frame, that's what bike shops usually stock. There are some L models imported for the occasional "beanpole" but XL is very rare indeed. My size is also 19"-20" for mountain bike frames, so I am facing the same difficulties. Best not to bother with the small shops and ring up the importers/distributors directly. For example, KHCycle for Scott bikes, Sport Bicycles for Specialized, and so on. Ask them what L frames they have in their warehouse and with a bit of luck, you find what you are looking for. I happen to know that there are a couple of midrange Specialized 29er hardtail bikes available at the moment. 2015 models.

Good luck!

Cheers, CM-Expat

Sport Bicycle also have a couple of L size FS bikes in stock and in the showroom too, if the OPs' budget can extend to around 100k (Epic Comp and StumpJumper Evo Comp).