USB-sticky question.

Nienke

Hi. Please, your advise.

I recently bought a Kingston DataTraveler 100G3 64GB usb sticky for all my vdo's and pictures.

I started copying the first map and that went fine till the last bit. Then I got a notice that is was 'read only'. Most of the map has been copied, just not the last sub-map.

From then on I can't do anything anymore. No copying, no formatting, nothing.

I get the same 'read only' message each time.

What did I do incorrect?

And how to solve the problem so I can normally use the USB-stick again.

Thank you in advance.

Dunno.
I just tried again.

Put sticky in laptop. window pops up indicating formatting. So I say 'yes'. Another window opens:
Files system:exFAT (default) or NTFS
I choose now NTFS

Then: "windows cannot complete formatting" and second try: "disk is write protected"

I see others have had that issue with that same make/model drive. Maybe someone else has an easier solution, the below video shows how someone fixed it. Perhaps first, try the info on this site - http://ccm.net/faq/4214-remove-write-protection-from-a-usb-key-via-the-registry

I've had staff come in with the same problem and it was always Kingston. Sometime it couldn't be fixed, possible a clone/copy Kingston.

Oh my goodness, I sure hope it isn't a fake one.Too expensive for just throwing it into the bin and buy another that works.
I bought it at the LG shop on the 2nd floor of Central Festival, and the shop-guy pointed this one out to me.

I'm going to read and watch the info you, so kindly, provided first.
Thank you very much for your help Tywais.

Fingers crossed it will do the trick. smile.png

Just did the whole thing, step by step. Excellent information.

Thank you again very much, Tywais.

Unfortunately, I got an 'error'and 'contact your vendor' message.

That will be another trip to Central Festival. sad.png

Just did the whole thing, step by step. Excellent information.

Thank you again very much, Tywais.

Unfortunately, I got an 'error'and 'contact your vendor' message.

That will be another trip to Central Festival. sad.png

Within 7 days you usually have the right to get your money back, or buy another product.

Nienke, before you return the flash drive, you could try formatting using diskpart, a command line function built into windows (assuming it is a windows OS?)

To use this, ensure the flash drive is plugged in and visible to the OS, type "cmd" into your search box and select. When the command prompt box is open type in

"diskpart", and then press ENTER to open the diskpart tool.

Type "list disk", and then press ENTER. A list of available hard disks is displayed

Type "sel disk #" , and then press ENTER. # is the number of the hard disk that you want to clean. The hard disk is now selected

Type "det disk", and then press ENTER. A list of partitions on the hard disk is displayed. Use this information to verify that the correct disk is selected. This is important as deleted data by this method can't be recovered (ie, don't select your main or secondary drive in your machine)

Make sure that the disk does not contain required data, type "clean all", and then press ENTER to clean the disk. All the partitions and all the data on the disk is permanently removed.

Type "exit" to close the command prompt box. Remove and replace the flash drive into the USB port.

You may have to initialize the flash drive again, this is done through the disk management function of your windows OS. Format to FAT32 and try again.

Looks like a lot, but it is pretty simple to do. Oh, all the above entries into the command prompt are without the "s.

Good Luck........................wink.png

The most common fake flash drives in Thailand by far are Kingston, and what is happening does sound a lot like a fake drive... but on the other hand a 64GB drive like the one the OP has are only 700 baht at shops like JIB so hardly worth it you would think. Fakes these days are mostly 256GB or bigger.

Dunno.

I just tried again.

Put sticky in laptop. window pops up indicating formatting. So I say 'yes'. Another window opens:

Files system:exFAT (default) or NTFS

I choose now NTFS

Then: "windows cannot complete formatting" and second try: "disk is write protected"

Bought a coupe 32 GB sticks off of Ebay eventually the same thing happened on both sticks. I could play the movies but not open the stick and received the same "write protected" message.

Might be a simple fix but sounds like similar symptons to a fake drive.

Hate to say it - but I think so too. some time ago a friend bought a 128 GB stick in Pattaya for a price that was too good to be true, and of course we all know what that means.

He had the exact same issue. The stick would not reformat.

A good way to verify a genuine Kingston item is to look for the laser engraving on the "tongue" of the device that inserts into the PC. Fakes usually don't have it. There may be more sophisticated fakes now that do, but if yours doesn't then you can be sure that it is bogus.

post-18167-0-90558900-1438497280_thumb.j

post-18167-0-97064000-1438497298_thumb.j

post-18167-0-81998700-1438497311_thumb.j

Edited by bino

Thank you all for your replies.

I went back to the shop this morning. They tried, failed, and then replaced it for a new one.

So far so good with the copying. Fingers crossed. :)

Thank you all for your replies.

I went back to the shop this morning. They tried, failed, and then replaced it for a new one.

So far so good with the copying. Fingers crossed. smile.png

Good to hear you had no problems with the exchange.