Private colleges to be asked to rethink the ban against students with tattoos

webfact

Private colleges to be asked to rethink the ban against students with tattoos or piercing ears

BANGKOK: -- Privately-owned vocational colleges will be asked by the Education Ministry to reconsider their decision not to accept students who have piercing ears or tattoos.

Education permanent secretary Associate Professor Kamchorn Tatiyakavee said Thursday that he had instructed Mr Atinan Pakbara, secretary-general of Private Education Promotion Committee to invite the president of the Association of Private Technology and Vocational Colleges for discussion about the possibility of reversing the decision to ban students with piercing ears or tattoos purportedly to prevent hooligans from being admitted into their campuses.

Assoc Prof Kamchorn said, personally, he didn’t think all students who have tattoos or piercing ears are hooligans or bad. Piercing ears or tattoos are merely some symbols of the youths, he added.

He said he understood the intention of the management of these colleges to prevent hooligans from being admitted into their colleges. But, nevertheless, he wanted the management to rethink their decision and to give a chance of these students to study in their colleges.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/private-colleges-to-be-asked-to-rethink-the-ban-against-students-with-tattoos-or-piercing-ears

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-07

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schools urged to review tattoo, piercing ban
KETKAN BOONPEN
THE NATION

30266117-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE EDUCATION Ministry has urged private vocational schools in Bangkok and nearby provinces to reconsider their new admission standard barring students with wide ear-piercings and clearly visible tattoos.

Education Ministry permanent secretary Kamjorn Tatiyakavee has told Private Education Commission Office secretary-general Adinan Pakbara to convince the Association of Private Technological and Vocational Education Colleges to have a policy rethink.

The new admission standard, proposed earlier this month, will be implemented at the start of the next academic year at the association's private vocational schools in Bangkok and nearby provinces.

Kamjorn said wide ear-piercings and tattoos are just teenage fashion and didn't reflect a person's behaviour, so it is improper to deny them from access to schools.

"I understand the association's aim is to screen [and prevent] unpleasant persons becoming their students, but many teens with wide ear-piercings and tattoos have a good intention to study and the schools must educate them both in terms of knowledge and behaviour," he said.

He said the schools should consider applicants' knowledge and ability to study - not what they looked like. "If the schools are worried these kids may cause a problem, they can do a background check instead," he added.

Although the authorities couldn't force private schools to do anything, some institutions receive funding from the government, he said, adding that they could lose that funding.

According to the new standard, students found to be carrying a weapon or narcotics will be kicked out immediately and blacklisted from re-entering other member vocational schools.

Jomphong Monkolwanich, the Association of Private Technological and Vocational Education Colleges president, said the association is happy to discuss with the secretary-general of the Private Education Commission Office, as this is a central measure by private vocational schools to take care of their students' every aspect.

"It is not about the ear-piercing and tattoo but it also includes uniform, hairstyle, weapon and addictive drug carrying and academic matters. Previously, there was no consensus on these issues, so we have come out with this measure to cope with the problems proactively," Jomphong explained.

He said he has come in for criticism, but he insisted that he had never said that anyone with a tattoo is bad and there will be no reconsideration on the admission standard.

"It is all about the security for our students because some tattoos can be seen as provocative and children may put themselves in danger. The student's admission is also under the school's judgement," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Schools-urged-to-review-tattoo-piercing-ban-30266117.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-07

tattoos (except religious ones) is a clear sign that the individual does not have a mental ability to get an education. so why teacher should waste time on him?

I see.

I have quite large tattoo on my shoulder. I also have Masters degree from a university. I assume you speak about yourself stating above as a fact?

There are plenty of people who like to make claims about other people without having a clue what they are talking about. You seem to be one of them.

tattoos (except religious ones) is a clear sign that the individual does not have a mental ability to get an education. so why teacher should waste time on him?

A troll who has a satire streak.

How old are we talking about here? If under 18, I think it's a good idea. At least for visible tats/ear rings. I've met quite a few who now regret their decision to have a visible tat. If you are an adult, over 18, then up to you!

Edited by lovetotravel

Limits put based on appearance, skin color etc. are not a way to determine whether or not a person is motivated, intelligent or capable. Not to mention that sometimes people do decisions that are not the wisest possible but are willing to make changes and learn to become better and get an education.

But I forgot...we are in LOS where it's all about appearances and face, nothing to do with IQ. It is more important than ever to keep the masses in their place without a chance to better their lives. The enormous pressure coming from the emerging middle class to reform the system of education and other aspects of Thai system are met with the fiercest opposition from the have-it-all. Historically this kind of situation has never ended well.

To ban tattoos and ear piercings is a clear message that individuality is discouraged. A clear sign that it would not be worth going there in the first place. My daughter just graduated from Oxford....her principal lecturer, a man in his forties, sported an ear piercing.

The excessive controls placed on young people in Thailand is tantamount to an abuse of human rights.

To ban tattoos and ear piercings is a clear message that individuality is discouraged. A clear sign that it would not be worth going there in the first place. My daughter just graduated from Oxford....her principal lecturer, a man in his forties, sported an ear piercing.

The excessive controls placed on young people in Thailand is tantamount to an abuse of human rights.

I'm intrested to hear more about your daughter's lecturer's ear piercing. Was it a stud or like the picture above? Human rights abuse is a stretch don't you think?

Edited by MikeTexas

in other words someone that had a shady past that now is getting it together and is a totally respectable as a person will not be allowed to

seek out a respectable living because of tattoos? Seems kind of harsh to me. No second chances, no getting moved to an inactive post etc etc etc?

Let private schools do what they want, this will be huge for them as nobody will be attending the public vocational schools.

in other words someone that had a shady past that now is getting it together and is a totally respectable as a person will not be allowed to

seek out a respectable living because of tattoos? Seems kind of harsh to me. No second chances, no getting moved to an inactive post etc etc etc?

Let private schools do what they want, this will be huge for them as nobody will be attending the public vocational schools.

The original article stated that students with tats can attend night classes.

I see.

I have quite large tattoo on my shoulder. I also have Masters degree from a university. I assume you speak about yourself stating above as a fact?

There are plenty of people who like to make claims about other people without having a clue what they are talking about. You seem to be one of them.

education is such a joke in the West now. if you have enough money you can easily get a master degree (except a few world famous unis of course). but Thailand has no resources to waste on these people.

a desire to make picture on the skin (except religious) is a clear sign of archaic consciousness. savage wildmen like to do this..

as for me, I never give a job to a person with tattoos. for me it's a clear sign of the person's value.

actually it's a fortune that this kind of people make a clear sign on their bodies to show others who they are.

in Soviet Russia secret police even inspired a fashion for tattoos among recidivists, in order to make them easily recognizable.

Edited by TimmyT

Employers here are at times very strict and very selective, especially for the better jobs. If you had a choice between a person with visible tats and a huge ear piercing versus a clean cut person, who would they choose? Actually, that's pretty much the case in most advanced societies. The number of teachers with tats on their neck, I would guess, is extremely low.

a desire to make picture on the skin (except religious) is a clear sign of archaic consciousness. savage wildmen like to do this..

as for me, I never give a job to a person with tattoos. for me it's a clear sign of the person's value.

actually it's a fortune that this kind of people make a clear sign on their bodies to show others who they are.

in Soviet Russia secret police even inspired a fashion for tattoos among recidivists, in order to make them easily recognizable.

Talking about your personal values, a short look at your avatar (the closest thing we have of a tattoo in an anonymous forum) make clear what are yours. You clearly know what you're talking about.

Another example of this country doing their absolute best to ensure everyone toes the line, thinks precisely the way that they are told, never questions authority and shows no signs of individuality.

I suppose that is why we have yet to see, or ever see revolutionary thoughts, products and services generating from Thailand.

The land of knee-jerk decisions, back-peddling and clarifications ... You gotta laugh.

HaHa another big laugh to start the day with clap2.gifcheesy.gif No thats not what I said---- No what I meant was----- Yes but we now have to-------Why do you take me so critically--------This order starts immediately-------- Well not immediately we have to have a meeting first----- now it can be enforced------- after some clarification-------- there are now slight changes------- this is to safeguard the public-------- and to help the police do their job!!!------- now its looking good--------just waiting clarification------- a meeting is to be held to discuss the meaning of clarification----------The meeting has been set for Sept 15th---------- the meeting has bee postponed until Feb 27 2016-------- The meeting has been postponed until after the election-------- the election has been postponed until the middle of 2019--------- The minister who drafted the original bill yesterday resigned---------now we do not know if to do this or wait and do that------- The minister who is now in charge cannot understand the wording--------- there will be a special meeting set up-------- no date set yet-------!@#$%^&*()+|----------etc etc etc etcclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

I DO NOT KNOW WHY BUT i AM VERY HAPPY THIS MORNING

I'm intrested to hear more about your daughter's lecturer's ear piercing. Was it a stud or like the picture above? .....

What difference would it make? Would his teaching methods differ according to the style of his earring?

Limits put based on appearance, skin color etc. are not a way to determine whether or not a person is motivated, intelligent or capable. Not to mention that sometimes people do decisions that are not the wisest possible but are willing to make changes and learn to become better and get an education.

But I forgot...we are in LOS where it's all about appearances and face, nothing to do with IQ. It is more important than ever to keep the masses in their place without a chance to better their lives. The enormous pressure coming from the emerging middle class to reform the system of education and other aspects of Thai system are met with the fiercest opposition from the have-it-all. Historically this kind of situation has never ended well.

in Japan it has.

I'm intrested to hear more about your daughter's lecturer's ear piercing. Was it a stud or like the picture above? .....

What difference would it make? Would his teaching methods differ according to the style of his earring?

The “lecturer” was being used to prove a point, I'm curious if we're talking apples to apples or apples to artichokes.