Bike for Mom

turgid

My girlfriend who speaks Thai but doesnt read it has decided she wants us to join Bike for Mom. She called the helpline this morning to be told that registration is full and we can't join. Nothing on the heavy TV promotion or website seems to indicate this. Via google translate i've read the web site which seems to suggest that the "spinning" is a fairly relaxed event and as long as you wear blue you can join and take part for as much or as little of the course as you feel capable. I suspect registration may only relate to getting the awards or ceremonial pins etc. We'd just like to ride along if we can.

Can anyone advise ? Is there a thread discussing attendance anywhere. ? If we can go where we should tell the taxi driver to drop us off? We are coming from the east of Bangkok as i assume the start point will be traffic free.

Thanks

Edited by turgid

I've been trying to find out the answer to this as well, but only got the same response as your girlfriend.

Most people seem to think you can tag along and the registration is only for the t shirts etc. but there isn't anything to clearly state this is the case from the organizers.

There's always Bangkok car free day next month anyway

I wrote to the tourist authority for clarification. They have replied clearly and explicitly said you cant attend the Bike ride if you arent registered with a slightly scary note saying I must respect Thai laws in this matter. There are some public non bike related events on the day that non registered people can attend but the essence of the message was its unlikely you'll get in.

So we wont be riding.

don;t you think your gf will notice your plan?

You;'ve got to know that putting anyones mum on a bike in Thailand is the quickest easiest way to off them if you know what I mean. and it really pisses the locals off if you don't get on with the parents.