You have 1M Baht cash to buy a "Fun" Car with....

shiroboi

Early VW Scirocco's are getting v close to 1M. First facelift (2011?) one's start around 1.2M (interior /dash is a step up)

Its a lovely shape (Walter De Silva ) which doesn't seem to age much. Stylish, fast, practical, and hopefully reliable

Edited by fish fingers

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitsu Lancer GT 2011 @ approx 500K..a few mods with ECU ect you got a 320bhp monster with great handling well within our budget

You don't really think that a few ECU mods will double the power of a GT, do you?

I read his post as saying "with a few mods and an ECU"... if those mods include a turbo, 300+ HP should be easy.

Dude, just out of curiosity, do you ever sleep? ;-)

Mitsu Lancer GT 2011 @ approx 500K..a few mods with ECU ect you got a 320bhp monster with great handling well within our budget

You don't really think that a few ECU mods will double the power of a GT, do you?

I read his post as saying "with a few mods and an ECU"... if those mods include a turbo, 300+ HP should be easy.

I do like the Focus, 170HP definitely puts it in the fun category.

It's funny, I just saw a Sirocco on my daily walk over to 7-11. I normally dislike VW's for making ugly, boring cars. So why is that car so damned sexy? I'm not supposed to like VW's!

Previous owner of a 2.4L Lancer Ralliart. No 2.0L GT is going to make that much power without a serious turbo upgrade. I'm sure the poster must be thinking about an EVO.

Where can you drive for fun in thailand?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

In the mountains for one...

1452731_orig.jpg

But you probably will not see snow capped peaks, as you see in this photo; however, you just might see them if you are on the Trollstigen road in Norway, which is where this photo was taken.

http://nextstopnorway.com/explore/trollstigen-one-of-the-worlds-most-dangerous-roads/

Also Volvo S60 2.0T - pretty sure these kick out over 200hp but maybe the thai version is different? a 2011-12 year can be had for 800k

That's a couple of years earlier than mine (V60), but the only model available when I got mine officially in Thailand (made in Malaysia) was the 1.6 T e-drive for the V60 or S60. 186 bhp I think it is.

Edited by arthurwait

Wow, some great responses for sure. I hadn't even thought about the RX-8. That's tempting. Unfortunately a friend of mine committed suicide in his so it has ruined the car for me mentally.

Couldn't find any WRX's in the general price range. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

I thought the Fiesta EcoBoost could be a fairly fun car. For 700K+ you'd have some money left over for extras. Mazda 3 is a strong contender providing decent horsepower, handling plus good styling and interior. Defintiely a contender for new car. For used, I had looked at a Mini Cooper S. Never been wild on Mini Coopers but it's hard to deny the overal fun Go-Kart handling and manual transmission.

A used 3-Series is also a good suggestion. It's a pity they don't come in manual here.

And who said HRV? Cmon man, if that's your definition of fun, you need to get your pulse checked.

WOW. Sorry you didn't like my HRV choice. Don't think I'll lose any sleep over it.

The Focus 2.0 S+ is a sweet handling car. It is streets ahead of the competition in its class here for handling and the power isn't too bad with 170bhp to play with. Just over a million new in top spec but a lot less 2nd hand. Get a cheap early one and a Ducati Monster 821 for your speed thrillssmile.png

Anyone know if/when the facelift will come?

The Focus 2.0 S+ is a sweet handling car. It is streets ahead of the competition in its class here for handling and the power isn't too bad with 170bhp to play with. Just over a million new in top spec but a lot less 2nd hand. Get a cheap early one and a Ducati Monster 821 for your speed thrillssmile.png

Anyone know if/when the facelift will come?

I was sort of wondering the same thing myself. Not sure about Thailand, but I found this recent article about a facelift for the Focus in Indonesia:

http://paultan.org/2015/08/19/iims-2015-ford-focus-facelift-asean-debut-ecoboost/

I am not all that fond of the new front grille but there are some decent improvements and updates to the interior. Looks like they are dumping the dual-clutch automatic tranny for a six speed standard torque converter. This could be good and bad. The current dual clutch tranny gets sort of jerky sometimes off the start. But then it should offer better performance than a torque converter, which will most certainly be smoother in shifting.

BTW, I have an 18 month old Focus 2.0 S+ and couldn't be happier with the handling and performance. For the money on a new car, nothing else sold here comes close. It also gets decent highway fuel economy. My real world experience has been about 5.5 L/100 km with aircon on.

Mazda 3. The 2.0l Skydrive pushed it to 100kph in just over 8 seconds if I remember correctly.

There is currently a limited edition 'sports' edition with body kit etc available new for just under 1m Baht.

Others have mentioned the Nissan Turbo. It will have horrible resale, the interior is so-so, and it has a noisy CVT that I would not describe as 'fun'.

Just bought the Mazda Sport and it's a fantastic car, great fun, brand new and fully warranted!