Multiple Entry Visa and Re-entry Permit Question

I wish to clarify about using a multiple entry visa - I hope someone can help.

On a one year multiple entry visa (o-type) if I exit Thailand and wish to trigger the next 90 days of my visa, can I exit and re-enter the country freely to do this or is it first necessary for me to apply for a re-entry permit (and enter using this permit) to get this next 90 days?

Or to put it another way if I exit Thailand with this multiple entry visa without applying for the multiple entry visa will my visa then automatically expire? Or can I freely enter and exit with no re-entry permit?

First, most Thai embassys will not issue this type of Visa anymore.

Your Visa is exactly that you may exit & enter as many times as you wish. Each entry you will get a 12 month entry.

At the end of the Visa period, if you exit & re-enter before the visa expiry date U will get a further 12 months.

After the original visa expiry date U will need a re-entry permit for entry or the visa will expire.

I had this type of Visa from Sydney, but now the embassy will not issue them.

I had a realted question about multi-entry visas.

I currently hold a non-immigrant O- Multiple entry Visa valid until 28 June 2016.
I first entered Thailand on this Visa on 30 June 2015 (with an admitted until date of 27 September).
However, I then left Thailand for Lao on 19 August. I re-entered Thailand on 26 August. I did not apply for any re-entry permit or this trip.
On re-entry I was given an admitted until date of only 24 September. By my calculations only another 29 days - should this be the case, is that correct?
Should my entry and re-entry have not triggered another 90 days of the visa to begin? Seemingly not, but why the date of 24 September (another 29 days from the new date of re-entry) in any case?
I actually have a trip out of Thailand planned before the end of September in any case but the admitted until date has baffled me somewhat. I was expecting 26 August + 90 days onwards which would be 24 November 2015? So is it an error or some other reason?
Edited by ktmbkk

I currently hold a non-immigrant O- Multiple entry Visa valid until 28 June 2016.
I first entered Thailand on this Visa on 30 June 2015 (with an admitted until date of 27 September).
However, I then left Thailand for Lao on 19 August. I re-entered Thailand on 26 August. I did not apply for any re-entry permit or this trip.
On re-entry I was given an admitted until date of only 24 September. By my calculations only another 29 days - should this be the case, is that correct?
Should my entry and re-entry have not triggered another 90 days of the visa to begin? Seemingly not, but why the date of 24 September (another 29 days from the new date of re-entry) in any case?
I actually have a trip out of Thailand planned before the end of September in any case but the admitted until date has baffled me somewhat. I was expecting 26 August + 90 days onwards which would be 24 November 2015? So is it an error or some other reason?

Based on the info given it looks like the IO made a mistake. You should have been given another 90 days. You can go to an immigration office and get the error corrected.

It's always a good idea to check when the IO hands back your passport as mistakes like this happen.

It would seem a simple error has occurred.

Go to an immigration office and ask for the mistake to be corrected.

"can I exit and re-enter the country freely to do this or is it first necessary for me to apply for a re-entry permit (and enter using this permit) to get this next 90 days?"

If you have a multi entry visa you can exit and re-enter with that visa as often as you like until it expires. Each time you re-enter you will get 90 days. You don't need a re-entry permit.

Your Visa is exactly that you may exit & enter as many times as you wish. Each entry you will get a 12 month entry.

At the end of the Visa period, if you exit & re-enter before the visa expiry date U will get a further 12 months.

After the original visa expiry date U will need a re-entry permit for entry or the visa will expire.

Forgot to mention that U need to do the 90 day report on this type if visa if U do not exit the country.

The OP says he has a category 'O'. This only gives 90 day stays and the holder must exit every 90 days.

You are describing a category 'O-A' visa which is different. That gives 1 year stays and requires address reporting every 90 days.

------------------------------

Each entry you will get a 12 month entry.

That is incorrect, you are thinking of a O-A retirement visa...... which is a different animal from the Non immigrant O visa.

If you can get a Non immigrant O multi entry visa for Thailand each entry gets you a 90 day permitted to stay stamp

You are right though, in that the O-A retirement visa has replaced the Non immigrant O visa in most cases.

However some Thai honorary consulates will still issue a Non O visa for people who have a Thai wife or relatives living in Thailand. Now however, if they do issue that visa at all.it isn't for retirement....and they require documented proof (marriage certificate, birth records, or such) that the applicant outside of Thailand has a relative or relation living in Thailand.

As an example, the grown child of a person retired in Thailand could still possibly apply for and obtain a Non O visa to live with his or her parent in Thailand.....however they would need documented proof of that relationship from the person legally retired in Thailand in order to get such a visa.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

------------------------

By my calculations only another 29 days - should this be the case, is that correct?

--------------------

Yes it is correct.... the day of entry counts as day one.....so you have 29 left not 30.

Many people are caught up on that

Edited by IMA_FARANG

------------------------

By my calculations only another 29 days - should this be the case, is that correct?

--------------------

Yes it is correct.... the day of entry counts as day one.....so you have 29 left not 30.

It is incorrect!

ktmbkk says s/he has a valid multiple entry "O" and a 90 day permission to stay should have been given.

The error can be corrected at an immigration office

• 9 months later...

I just obtained a Non "O" multi entry visa from the the Thai Consulate Generals office in Houston, TX. I did,have to show marriage certificate and wife's passport to the person accepting applications. Easy as pie though. Turned in, in the morning and ready for pickup by 2:30 PM.