Microsoft slips user-tracking tools into Windows 7, 8 amidst Windows 10 privacy storm

rhythmworx

Windows 10 is a deliciously good operating system, all things considered, but its abundant user-tracking has prompted many privacy-minded individuals to stay pat with older versions of Windows. Now, Microsoft’s providing those concerned individuals a reason to upgrade.

No, the company’s not walking back its privacy-encroaching features. Instead, Microsoft’s quietly rolling out updates that bake new tracking tools into Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Yes, really.

The story behind the story: Privacy concerns have marred an otherwise sterling launch for Windows 10, which is already installed on 75 million PCs. Rolling out this Windows 7 and 8 updates amidst the controversy smacks of insensitivity—and it’s just plain poor timing, to boot.

Read More............................

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2978239/windows/microsoft-slips-user-tracking-tools-into-windows-7-8-amidst-windows-10-privacy-storm.html

Also more here...

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/213183-once-more-with-tracking-microsoft-backports-privacy-invading-windows-10-features-to-windows-7-8

Edited by rhythmworx

This may be relevant, I don't really know. I have Win 7 and run Spyware software that 8/10 times I boot up finds malicious spyware and tracking cookies in the same Windows file. Different ones each time but typically include one or up to six at a time of Tribalfusion, Atwola, 2o7, Media, et.al. that are known to track your personal info and browsing habits - info that can be retrieved by whichever company placed them. Doesn't matter which sites (or no sites) that I've browsed in the previous session. I think these are being placed automatically by MS but can't be sure. I delete them every session.

You might like to search for cookies in the same file on your own computer if you have the appropriate software to do so. Follow this:

Computer>Programs>Users>(your PC name)>Appdata>Roaming>Microsoft>Windows>Recent

That's the file that contains everything you've opened or downloaded in the past 10 days or so and shows the route and name of any USB devices you've used too. Be warned!