NES Teachers in Thailand: Are they worth it and other questions.

NaRangsit

As an NES teacher and a father to a kid here I often ask myself this. I look at the question in a number of ways. Firstly: Does Thailand benefit from having NES teachers. I think that it depends on the school. A private school will always benefit; it brings in money and the kids get to learn from someone they can understand from or get the gist from without a Thai accent and all the errors that come with Thinglish. I can't see how poor schools would benefit from an NES. The level of English is so low a bilingual Thai would surely be of more use to the kids,right?

My other question is: Is it worth being an NES in Thailand? It's a no here. The salaries are awful for the most part. I don't know why anyone would get out of bed for 30k or less. For the love the profession? Give me strength! If you loved the profession then you would demand a fair wage.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure about many other schools since I've only worked at two of them over 12 years, but my fellow faculty members and I make nowhere near 30K per month. I think I've mentioned before that there are several schools where, if you have qualifications, you can easily make over 100k per month.

I'd say that approximately 60% of the teachers at my school are making in excess of 100k per month, and we work at a good government school in an English program, not an international school. We get a fair wage for teaching 14-20 periods per week and typically get a 7% yearly salary raise. However, most of the teachers I work with have been at the school at least 8 years.

It really isn't all gloom and despair over here for teachers. Some prospective teachers may read some of these posts and think there are no schools offering decent salaries, that is just not true. Teachers have to shop around during the right time of the year and they can find good jobs out there. Only catch, make sure you're qualified!

Certainly Thai children could benefit from NES teachers who can, in contrast it seems to generations of Thai English teachers, at least help the students understand basic forms.

That in turn naturally depends upon the NES teachers themselves having the said understanding of their own language, which, in my opinion, is likely not the case with a significant minority of NES 'teachers'.

A quick spin around Line, Facebook or similar social media websites and apps quickly illustrates how very few Thai students of English, who are by the end of their schooling supposed these days to have a good grounding in the language, know basic forms, like for example the auxiliary verb 'do' and how it is used in formulating questions or negative statements; how wearying to hear again and again 'I no like' and the inflected 'You love me?'.

I've worked at five different locations of the same school, it's the largest in Southeast Asia. Starting pay is 30k for no degree, 35k for having a degree. The general attitude is that the farang teachers are a necessary evil and are hated by upper management. Foreign teachers are treated in a foul manner, with senseless tasks and regulations thrust on them (for example, at the end of a term, after reports cards have been signed, sealed and delivered to the parents, we would be sent to the library and have to sit for up to nine days with NOTHING to do and finally dismissed for vacation at the director's whim). Christmas play rehearsals were scheduled during our class sessions because English is not considered an important class. Large groups of alcoholics were employed at all but one of the schools - the daily morning assembly was a parade of red eyes and breath mints. The "All Pass" system just takes the wind out of all but the most naive teachers. At EVERY school we were told that we were not there to teach, rather we were there to give the appearance of teaching.

To answer your question, is it worth it? For me it was. I'm retired, and was working illegally on a retirement visa /extension of stay. The school admin even did my 90 day reporting! It was fun because I knew it wasn't anything important, just get the kids to fill out there student books then play educational games. Did they learn? I believe so, and it was a thrill to see them using English that I knew I had helped them learn. Is it a career? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I've worked at five different locations of the same school, it's the largest in Southeast Asia. Starting pay is 30k for no degree, 35k for having a degree. The general attitude is that the farang teachers are a necessary evil and are hated by upper management. Foreign teachers are treated in a foul manner, with senseless tasks and regulations thrust on them (for example, at the end of a term, after reports cards have been signed, sealed and delivered to the parents, we would be sent to the library and have to sit for up to nine days with NOTHING to do and finally dismissed for vacation at the director's whim). Christmas play rehearsals were scheduled during our class sessions because English is not considered an important class. Large groups of alcoholics were employed at all but one of the schools - the daily morning assembly was a parade of red eyes and breath mints. The "All Pass" system just takes the wind out of all but the most naive teachers. At EVERY school we were told that we were not there to teach, rather we were there to give the appearance of teaching.

To answer your question, is it worth it? For me it was. I'm retired, and was working illegally on a retirement visa /extension of stay. The school admin even did my 90 day reporting! It was fun because I knew it wasn't anything important, just get the kids to fill out there student books then play educational games. Did they learn? I believe so, and it was a thrill to see them using English that I knew I had helped them learn. Is it a career? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I can't even imagine working under those conditions. When my school year finishes, I turn in my grades and leave for a 3-month paid vacation. I will say that we are not treated like the Thai faculty. They have to do much more than the foreign staff does. They have several additional tasks they are required to do while the foreign staff typically have no duties other than teaching and attending a meeting every so often. For the foreign staff, they basically just let us do our teaching and leave us alone.

Is it worth it? Sure. Most of my teachers won't be driving around in Mercedes, but then again, the teachers in America don't either. We make a decent wage for living in Thailand, most have cars, and many have houses or condos of their own. A pretty good life if you can find the right school.

I taught at the same school for 8 years. The wages were fair and we had the opportunity to make extra doing evening and Saturday classes. It was pretty easy to make around 70k/month. This was at a private school by the way.

However, the amount of BS finally drove me away. The never ending morning assemblies that cut into class time. The Christmas and dance shows that were deemed more important than classes. The Thai staff that treated the farang like a sub species. I could go on but I won't bore you.

At the end of the day though I did see improvement in my student's English abilities and they really were great kids for the most part. Overall I did enjoy teaching in Thailand.

I think it all depends. I think at one level, anyone with a toeic score of 900 and a reasonable accent/dialect may due for 20k. This is Philippinos and E/W Africans. Id only pay S Africans and Europeans 25 as nes get 30, or 20% less than your nes. I would not even hire those with N English and Scottish accents honestly. Most teachers here are not even worth the 30k.

Another reason for hiring only degeeed teachers is a work ethic. I've never been a fanboi of the nondegreed teaching in schools for so many reasons. This year I've had the displeasure of working with contractors. A new low. Drifters and grifters, lazy as F with no clue how to function in an office environment, what it means to work as a team. The complete lack of concern past: how little I can do, how early can I leave. These people not worth a F at home, nor here.

I can ubderstand why schools only want to pay 30, that's all your worth. After three years I've worked with about 40 teachers. Pay range from 33 to 45. Id say only ten percent were worth 42.5. There were others that put in the effort almost, but just don't cut it. Maybe another ten percent. Tbe rest I wouldn't let staff a 7-11 and yeah, I'm serious. Gies double for any and all outside US, CA and west EU countries (which sorry, you have the work ethic but your writing is riddled with mistakes, you have an accent - Dutch, Scandanavia excepted).

The Pinoy Visayan accent is atricious as is the N English.

I was recently asked to bring stacks of bundled old resumes down to the recycling area fir the HOD. I was shocked at all the shitty applicants.

The right nes are worth 45k. Trouble is, schools do not perceive the value.

90% of teachers in thus country don't even try. Its total self serving effort. A visa, Chang, money for western junk food and a dusky middle aged companion from Nakon Nowhere once a month. They are dead inside. You see it. No life, no plan...zombies. Teaching zombies.

After three years of thus, I will forever laugh at teachers thinking they deserve more than 30k. I've never experienced working with such a large nuber of people from marginal backgrounds.

The reason they are here in they are unemployable back home. Their lives so banal that scraping here on 30k is better than a life where they were born. Utter failure. The Koreans, Japanese know this well snd they only tske uni grads.

Only say ++good on Thailand for asking criminal checks on UK. Now, just get rid of E/W Africans and hire more Luzon Pinoy and they be a tiny bit better off. Most S Africans are slackers too, just to lesser and different extent. Plenty of zombies. The other 25% have world standard work ethic.

Sorry, your life experience degree, asst manager at cofeeworld and some shitty, overpriced tefl class does not mske you a teacher and especially an educator.

Pull it up slick...your panties are showing.

My 2thb

Edited by Mencken

As an NES teacher and a father to a kid here I often ask myself this. I look at the question in a number of ways. Firstly: Does Thailand benefit from having NES teachers. I think that it depends on the school. A private school will always benefit; it brings in money and the kids get to learn from someone they can understand from or get the gist from without a Thai accent and all the errors that come with Thinglish. I can't see how poor schools would benefit from an NES. The level of English is so low a bilingual Thai would surely be of more use to the kids,right?

My other question is: Is it worth being an NES in Thailand? It's a no here. The salaries are awful for the most part. I don't know why anyone would get out of bed for 30k or less. For the love the profession? Give me strength! If you loved the profession then you would demand a fair wage.

Thoughts?

For most - 90%, the job is tertiary. Priorities are visa, money, sex, being anywhere but work. The school facilitates the lifestyle. They have no more interest in teaching than they do anything else.Its a very base life.

Even more than the money...its the visa. Its gold. This lot could never survive the real developing world or...a real job for that matter.

I think it all depends. I think at one level, anyone with a toeic score of 900 and a reasonable accent/dialect may due for 20k. This is Philippinos and E/W Africans. Id only pay S Africans and Europeans 25 as nes get 30, or 20% less than your nes. I would not even hire those with N English and Scottish accents honestly. Most teachers here are not even worth the 30k.

Another reason for hiring only degeeed teachers is a work ethic. I've never been a fanboi of the nondegreed teaching in schools for so many reasons. This year I've had the displeasure of working with contractors. A new low. Drifters and grifters, lazy as F with no clue how to function in an office environment, what it means to work as a team. The complete lack of concern past: how little I can do, how early can I leave. These people not worth a F at home, nor here.

I can ubderstand why schools only want to pay 30, that's all your worth. After three years I've worked with about 40 teachers. Pay range from 33 to 45. Id say only ten percent were worth 42.5. There were others that put in the effort almost, but just don't cut it. Maybe another ten percent. Tbe rest I wouldn't let staff a 7-11 and yeah, I'm serious. Gies double for any and all outside US, CA and west EU countries (which sorry, you have the work ethic but your writing is riddled with mistakes, you have an accent - Dutch, Scandanavia excepted).

I was recently asked to bring stacks of bundled old resumes down to the recycling area fir the HOD. I was shocked at all the shitty applicants.

90% of teachers in thus country don't even try. Its total self serving effort. A visa, Chang, money for western junk food and a dusky middle aged companion from Nakon Nowhere once a month. They are dead inside. You see it. No life, no plan...zombies. Teaching zombies.

After three years of thus, I will forever laugh at teachers thinking they deserve more than 30k. I've never experienced working with such a large nuber of people from marginal backgrounds.

The reason they are here in they are unemployable back home. Their lives so banal that scraping here on 30k is better than a life where they were born. Utter failure. The Koreans, Japanese know this well snd they only tske uni grads.

Only say ++good on Thailand for asking criminal checks on UK. Now, just get rid of E/W Africans and hire more Luzon Pinoy and they be a tiny bit better off. Most S Africans are slackers too, just to lesser and different extent. Plenty of zombies. The other 25% have world standard work ethic.

Sorry, your life experience degree, asst manager at cofeeworld and some shitty, overpriced tefl class does not mske you a teacher and especially an educator.

My 2thb

And with your (above) demonstrated skills in English, and based on your own stated principles, you wouldn't accept more than 10-15,000 baht salary. Presumably english is your second language.

Edited by Mudcrab

I taught at the same school for 8 years. The wages were fair and we had the opportunity to make extra doing evening and Saturday classes. It was pretty easy to make around 70k/month. This was at a private school by the way.

However, the amount of BS finally drove me away. The never ending morning assemblies that cut into class time. The Christmas and dance shows that were deemed more important than classes. The Thai staff that treated the farang like a sub species. I could go on but I won't bore you.

At the end of the day though I did see improvement in my student's English abilities and they really were great kids for the most part. Overall I did enjoy teaching in Thailand.

I always loved the PuuYai VIP types who were so self-absorbed in their personal importance that they had to sit off to the side and alone during group activities, including lunches, and virtually were not to be spoken to. That attitude sums one hell of a lot up in regards to Thai education. Taking Thai education to the pinnacle of ineptitude.

We can do no wrong because we are far, far above it all. Thai education will continue downhill under the weight of it's own entropy.

And then, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot: every teacher in the school aspires to be a VIP Puu Yai. How about aspiring to becoming the very best teacher you can possibly be. Buck the system; break the mold; climb out of the box.

Edited by connda

My 2thb

Ain't you just smokin' hot? If you were Thai, you'd be out there climbing that PuuYai ladder to nowhere.

My 2thb

Ain't you just smokin' hot? If you were Thai, you'd be out there climbing that PuuYai ladder to nowhere.

Stated like the genius you are. My ladder has been scaled, see that's one of many differences between us no doubt.

Most convo teachers are utter frauds. 120 hours in a classroom, onlinetefl, online degrees!

Teachers without four year degrees should not be allowed to do gate duty let alone in a classroom. Thailand is one of a few, if the only country I'm aware of that these charlatans can 'work', Cambodia aside. Will be interesting when they get replaced by Pinoys.

Of course UK now requires criminal background checks. My hunch is not so much for kiddie fiddling but drunkeness and violence. Just hire from South England and Wales, save time.

Edited by Mencken

I think I'm turning into one of those Zombie teachers, 7 years on part time teaching now back into full time, up at 5.30am, motorbike to work, pray the heavens don't open, 24 years in the game, the Zombie in me is out. He ain't going away anytime soon. Prosac anyone?

I think I'm turning into one of those Zombie teachers, 7 years on part time teaching now back into full time, up at 5.30am, motorbike to work, pray the heavens don't open, 24 years in the game, the Zombie in me is out. He ain't going away anytime soon. Prosac anyone?

Got you. The only way to live with the Zombie(s) is to have the right woman around you.

Of course did you make enough money to buy your dream car, built a little palace somewhere in the middle of nowhere and a huge wall around it separates you from the rest of the world.

Get well soon.It's really time for a change now. thumbsup.gif

I know many Thai families that have a NES teacher come to their house to play/teach their young kids a few evenings a week after school.

Speaking to these kids after a few years of this, the benefit is amazing. Almost fluent speaking and listening, native pronunciation etc.

I don't know how much they pay the teachers, but presume it is in the 400-800b p/h range.

If a Thai family can afford two 2 hour sessions a week, starting with the kid at age 3, then yes, it is massively beneficial.

Well this is a bit of a challenge...

With a class of University Freshman..Non-English Majors..... over 65 students in the classroom.. having a NEST.. is really a no-brainer.. Not the students nor the students gain any advantage..

The students are, bored, cannot read or speak in English.. and the English Teacher speaks only English..and will not use Thai.. OH..that is a educational active learning approach..

However, if the directors and dean don't give a Flying F.. so be it..

Being a NES, even with a degree that took four years or more, doesn't actually qualify you to teach English or any other subject. Not in Thailand or anywhere else. In the Thai context, the use of NESs is simply promotional in most instances. It looks good and impresses the parents. It's purely about getting bums on seats or rather sitting at desks and paying fees especially in the private sector. It might be reasonable to think that a bilingual programme which has been in existence for 15 years might have developed some expertise in teaching its Thai students English. Not where I work. It's a crude money making operation and that is it. The school system is a real mess, it really fails both the kids and the parents though the much-moaned-about irony is that everyone passes.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a linkage between studying/knowing a second language and overall performance.

So yes, kids would benefit from exposure to something new and different.

As for the wages 30k is more than enough if you live outside of Bangkok.

There is not a lot that you can do and spend your money on so you end up saving 10-15k per month.

It's a lot of savings even for a developed world.

Christ what kind of life 15k baht buys you in the countryside...Car? Housing? Flights home now n again? Did you plan on buying a computer that costs more than $200 usd?

And no offense, but 15,000 baht a month isn't a lot of savings. Ya know, considering the lack of pension and retirement funding. I suppose if you compare it to a career in McDonalds culinary arts it may be a lot of savings.

My 2thb

Who pissed on your cornflakes?? 90% of teachers in this country don't even try, f*** me, do you know 90% of all teachers in Thailand?

• 2 weeks later...

Being a NES, even with a degree that took four years or more, doesn't actually qualify you to teach English or any other subject. Not in Thailand or anywhere else. In the Thai context, the use of NESs is simply promotional in most instances. It looks good and impresses the parents. It's purely about getting bums on seats or rather sitting at desks and paying fees especially in the private sector. It might be reasonable to think that a bilingual programme which has been in existence for 15 years might have developed some expertise in teaching its Thai students English. Not where I work. It's a crude money making operation and that is it. The school system is a real mess, it really fails both the kids and the parents though the much-moaned-about irony is that everyone passes.

The system has massive issues BUT you cannot join the system and then whine about how its all fail. Its beyond ironic. If you perceive that the system is such a loss that in your tiny classroom, on some days and at some time impart some sort of learning - then please, go back to Pattaya or soi 4 or whatever rock you crawled out from.

You cannot join the system, take money from it, complain about it, give up on it, still take money from it andd finally - remain in it.

See this is the issue, so few here see the mission of education in society. Its a small part of why you are not, nor ever will be teachers. I mean, your skilled worker contract will be long over before that day arrives.

As for the 90% I'm extrapolating that obviously Einstein. Its based on the # of teachers I've had to endure sharing an office with.

Edited by Mencken

The system has massive issues BUT you cannot join the system and then whine about how its all fail. Its beyond ironic. If you perceive that the system is such a loss that in your tiny classroom, on some days and at some time impart some sort of learning - then please, go back to Pattaya or soi 4 or whatever rock you crawled out from.

You cannot join the system, take money from it, complain about it, give up on it, still take money from it andd finally - remain in it.

See this is the issue, so few here see the mission of education in society. Its a small part of why you are not, nor ever will be teachers. I mean, your skilled worker contract will be long over before that day arrives.

As for the 90% I'm extrapolating that obviously Einstein. Its based on the # of teachers I've had to endure sharing an office with.

JHC stop smoking that shit.