Arrest warrant issued as accused skips ruling

Lite Beer

"Computer Crime Act and Article 112 of the Penal Code, which carries a maximum five-year imprisonment"

It looks like the "Article 112" part of the alleged offence is deemed minimal, as LM can easily get you 15 or more years. The CCA part I can not judge without more details.

Note that also in the Western world (and Australia) more and more one cannot just post whatever comes to ones mind.

nonsense post in UK I can give my opinion about censored as I wish without fear of LM

Agreed, not LM, but for example the 2003 Communication Act.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2014/jun/13/jail-someone-for-being-offensive-twitter-facebook

http://www.hampshire.police.uk/internet/advice-and-information/abuse-against-the-person/offensive-messages-and-posts-on-social-media

Even in the USA the Supreme Court struggles

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/supreme-court-struggles-with-defining-prosecuting-threats-on-social-media/2014/12/01/26f756ac-7993-11e4-9a27-6fdbc612bff8_story.html

"Computer Crime Act and Article 112 of the Penal Code, which carries a maximum five-year imprisonment"

It looks like the "Article 112" part of the alleged offence is deemed minimal, as LM can easily get you 15 or more years. The CCA part I can not judge without more details.

Note that also in the Western world (and Australia) more and more one cannot just post whatever comes to ones mind.

And how long do you think it will be before we cannot say what we want too.

Oh, right. Never mind.

No idea how long, but just like Thailand the Western World is wondering about what is admissable and what is not. The days you can just posts whatever you like without any consequences are over. The World Wild Web is being tamed.

Oh please dear rubl, the sooner the draconian lesse majeste laws are shelved the better. The subject at hand has hinted at this on several occasions by the way.

Personally I think anywone should be able to post whatever comes to mind, providing it doesn't instigate hatred against other people.

Personally I agree that the Thai LM laws are in need of urgent reforms. Mind you that's up to the Thai and not even the UN 'forbids' LM laws. In the Netherlands certain laws may be safely ignored by both the people and the Judiciary when all agree, but Thailand has a different attitude. Lots of other countries may also be a bit less pragmatic than we Dutch.

Now as I wrote the LM part of the charge seems not to have weighted much seeing they refer to a possible sentence of five years.

Of course jumping bail is a no-no in most civilised countries.

Do these Muppet prosecutors not understand the concept of double-jeopardy?

How on earth do they have a right to appeal an acquittal?

LOL, what planet are you coming from?

Both sides can appeal a ruling.

Manarak

I think you are only half right.

According to Amnesty International (in a Public Statement dated 7 August 2015), "...Since Thailand’s 2014 coup, authorities have treated lèse-majesté offences as crimes against the security of the nation. Enforcement of Thailand’s lèse-majesté law has dramatically escalated with increasingly lengthy sentences handed down, dozens of prosecutions initiated and sentences handed down. After the coup, authorities have placed lèse-majesté offences under the jurisdiction of military courts, which compromises civilians’ right to a fair trial. Many have faced closed-door trials in military courts where observers have been banned."

More importantly, in response to your observation, AI goes on to note that, "...Until 1 April 2015 no right to appeal was granted to civilians in military courts, and even now an appeal must be made to a higher military court rather than a civilian one...".

Luckily for Ms Tangudomsuk, AI point out that "...lèse-majesté suspects continue to be routinely denied bail, on the pretext that their cases are matters of 'national security'...".

You can download the AI document as a .pdf file at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CEUQFjAGahUKEwjYgPzIgfTHAhVKCI4KHcQXA5U&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amnesty.org%2Fdownload%2FDocuments%2FASA3922532015ENGLISH.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEMjhn12JnXW9XXYuXs-fSe9frKyg&cad=rja

Hope this clarifies the issue.

BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to advise whether there is any Statute of Limitation on lèse-majesté in this country

You can post whatever you want in the western world.

This story is about the assbackward CCA laws of Thailand.

There are two young men in prison in the UK due to their social media posts, both calling on others to riot, which they did, nonetheless it is their posts that earned them 4 years inside.

There are two young men in prison in the UK due to their social media posts, both calling on others to riot, which they did, nonetheless it is their posts that earned them 4 years inside.

Link please

They probably said something to instigate violence.

Link please

They probably said something to instigate violence.

So now you realize that actually you can't "post whatever you want in the western world", not if it is "instigating"? LOL

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/aug/16/facebook-riot-calls-men-jailed

Just as I suspected. They tried to instigate violence. Can't say definitively, but you'll have that law in most civilized countries.

The four years was a bit much. I'd a made them stand on the corner every weekend for a year wearing a stupid sign that said; We're emotionally depraved and stupid. We tried to do something to hurt innocent people. Would you hire me?

Just as I suspected. They tried to instigate violence. Can't say definitively, but you'll have that law in most civilized countries.

The four years was a bit much. I'd a made them stand on the corner every weekend for a year wearing a stupid sign that said; We're emotionally depraved and stupid. We tried to do something to hurt innocent people. Would you hire me?

Well, not actually violence, a riot, as in burning and looting the city center. And the riot was already happening, all these two really did was ask their friends if they were going to join in, but the language they chose was deemed to be incitement and thus they were jailed, for their words.

Now, if someone is posting things against the King, could that not be taken as incitement to revolution? I don't think it is all that different.

I am pretty sure that Australians can openly vent against the British head of state openly and publicly. They can also vent against Tony Abbot openly and publicly.

Are you, in a round about way, trying to defend these ridiculous laws? 30 years for something written on the internet?

Fellow forum members

In response to recent posts, you should see the Attorney-General's Department link (https://www.ag.gov.au/RightsAndProtections/HumanRights/PublicSectorGuidanceSheets/Pages/Righttofreedomofopinionandexpression.aspx#6can).

With regards to the direction this forum has taken, in Australia, freedom of expression may be limited as provided for by law and when necessary to protect the rights or reputations of others, national security, public order, or public health or morals. Limitations must be prescribed by legislation necessary to achieve the desired purpose and proportionate to the need on which the limitation is predicated.

Hope this helps.

I am pretty sure that Australians can openly vent against the British head of state openly and publicly. They can also vent against Tony Abbot openly and publicly.

Are you, in a round about way, trying to defend these ridiculous laws? 30 years for something written on the internet?

The first has been answered by waldroj.

The second, well, what ridiculous laws? The bail jumper was charged under the Criminal Computer Act and under article 112. I already wrote that the LM law was due for reform, in my personal opinion. The CCA is a different issue. More and more we see Western Democracies limiting what one can say on the Internet in the sense that you are responsible for what you write and post. Similar to the forum here.