Man used phone to call 911 after bear mauled him in Alaska

webfact

Man used phone to call 911 after bear mauled him in Alaska
By RACHEL D'ORO

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A 62-year-old man used his cellphone to call 911 after he was mauled by a bear while walking a neighbor's dog in Alaska woods, authorities said Monday.

Danny High of Funny River, Alaska, was in intensive care at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg said his family doesn't want details released about his injuries.

High didn't have a gun or bear spray when he was attacked Sunday, authorities said.

"He called 911 to report that he'd been injured in a bear mauling," Central Emergency Services Capt. Terry Bookey said.

Alaska State Troopers described High's injuries as major when he was flown from the scene to Anchorage. Troopers were unable to find the bear.

Alaska Department of Fish and Game spokeswoman Cathie Harms said High was accustomed to walking the dog through the area, which has a series of four-wheeler trails where bears have been seen many times. At one point, the neighbor saw the dog but not High and became concerned, Harms said.

The dog, Leila, is owned by Diane Deming, who told Anchorage television station KTUU the dog returned from the walk by itself, scratching at the front and back doors. Deming didn't know what had happened, and neighbors later learned of the attack after a helicopter and other emergency vehicles arrived.

A Fish and Game biologist was among the officials who inspected the vicinity. The biologist was unable to identify the area where the attack occurred, Harms said.

Agency officials were trying to confirm if the attack was committed by a brown bear or black bear and were going on the assumption that it was a brown bear, she said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-15

The dog, Leila, is owned by Diane Deming, who told Anchorage television station KTUU the dog returned from the walk by itself, scratching at the front and back doors. Deming didn't know what had happened, and neighbors later learned of the attack after a helicopter and other emergency vehicles arrived.

Ms Deming also doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer.

If my neighbor walks my dog on a regular base, and one day the dog returns on his own, the first thing what one would do is go look if something happened with the person who walked the dog.

Edited by Anthony5

Ms Deming also doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer.

If my neighbor walks my dog on a regular base, and one day the dog returns on his own, the first thing what one would do is go look if something happened with the person who walked the dog.

I wouldn't be so quick to pass judgment without knowing some history. It's not uncommon at all for dogs to follow their neighbors on walks into the woods. Sometimes the dog comes home first, sometimes the neighbor does. May have happened dozens of times in the past.

I would, however, fault her for not looking for Little Timmy to see if he had fallen into the well IF the dog actually scratched at the back door.

Edited by impulse

trying to confirm if the attack was committed by a brown bear or black bear

The color of the bear is by far the most important piece of information in this case...

The injuries to this man must have been appalling as no one wished to describe what they saw...

Never wanted to live where I could be hunted by bears or mountain lions...

bear spray....Is that something like a mosquito spray for bears?

Extra strong pepper spray. Very effective....

I'm an experienced hiker but when I visited friends in the mountains of Colorado and decided to take a walk, they insisted I pack a pistol for the cougars. Realized I had been lucky and naive before. This man should have packed a deterent esp knowing bears were in the area. I know, advice after the fact, but a caution for us, when in the wild, be a boy/girl scout and be prepared..