Thai Immigration To Introduce Fingerprint Scanning At Suvarnabhumi

george

In post #66, 'Thaiher2me' said:

"Hi Martin, I have just realised that the finger print check at the airport will connect to INTERPOL, and if you did six months jail in the U.S. 15 years ago for selling a joint to an undercover cop then you are branded as criminal and will NOT be admitted into Thailand because you have served TIME IN PRISON! What do you think?"

As to being banned for selling a joint in 1992, I think it is unfortunate if Thailand doesn't recognise that that is a "spent conviction".

This sort of checking does not allow people to leave their past behind.

Once you are in these databases you are there for LIFE. :o

No chance to say, " I served my time and now lead a spotless life".

Sharing of data is a very dangerous matter.

This is why there is a dispute between Europe and the USA over passenger list information

at this very point in time.

Do you dispute a country's right to bar foriegn felons etc from their soil? I know it may suck for people that screwed up in a minor way <or what is now seen as a minor way> in the past, but personally I am in favor of telling people that ~you screwed up and commited a felony and we don't want to take a risk with you!~.

There will always be countries that just don't care, or value any FX more than the potential liability involved in letting known criminals into their country, That is their decision! I think this has great potential to be a good thing!

Great idea!!! And while we're at it, lets leave a urine sample, a sperm sample (for us guys, just in case we are "possible" sex offenders), and for a good measure let them take a retintal scan too. And let them count our genomes too and include in the database. Seriously people, would you trust any governement on this planet with that much information about yourself? And please don't give me this BS line about "global terrorism" etc...

George Orwell was right, just 20 years off...

I can imagine myself going through the immigration somewhere in the US (where all this information will end up, no doubt?) in 2015?...

Imm officer: Ah sir, I see that you were in Thailand just a week before the coup in 2010...

Me: huh???

Imm officer: yes, and in Burma just week prior to that...

Me: well, I was on holidays....

Imm officer: and I see that you've been working in the Middle East for a long time... your features look a bit Arab to me...

Me: huh!!!! but my mother is Swedish...

Imm officer: no matter, Sir, I just got it confirmed that your finger prints match an armed bank robery in KC 2 weeks ago... please step through here...

Me: but I was the other side of the planet then...

Imm officer: you can explain it to the judge, Sir.. just keep your hands where I can see them and follow the man with the gun...

So where is that hydrocloric acid to wash my hands with...

It's a fingerprint for goodness sake...not all that other B.S. you're spouting about. If you guys are so freaking concerned about leaving a fingerprint on an airport scanner, "God only knows what the wicked governments of the world will do with those!" "Oh my!" You poor fellas should be scared crapless about what all the nefarious characters would do with your fingerprints scattered around every bar in the world and all over a thai lady's bum. You fellas need to find a full body glove. You leave hairs on every pillow you sleep on, skin cells on every towel, sperm cells inside of every condom, you leave DNA samples everywhere, but a single fingerprint at the airport scares the heck out of you.

And the poor schmuck that was a camera man for Al Jahzeera News... the famous place where all the Bin Laden tapes show up. The same guys that always happen to be just down the street from every major explosion and car bomb in Iraq and Afghanistan. I mean those poor guys so often just happen to be so close to an explosion to capture it on tape... and now they're actually held for questioning for terrorist activities. I mean those poor guys are just catching it from both ends. Maybe we should send them all cookies and make sure that we include Grandma's address on the label, in case they are ever in our neighborhood and want to stop by.... Jeeeezzz! :o

Do you dispute a country's right to bar foriegn felons etc from their soil? I know it may suck for people that screwed up in a minor way <or what is now seen as a minor way> in the past, but personally I am in favor of telling people that ~you screwed up and commited a felony and we don't want to take a risk with you!~.

There will always be countries that just don't care, or value any FX more than the potential liability involved in letting known criminals into their country, That is their decision! I think this has great potential to be a good thing!

Remember YOU would be classed as a criminal in both India and China.

Would that be ok too?

Edited by Lacoste

1984 is coming just a little bit late.......I don't like this, next they will want to know to test my DNA.

Nothing good will come from turning the world over to technology controled by only a few select individuals. But unfortunatly I don't think we will realise we are there until it is too late.

I am glad it probably won't come in my lifetime, but I feel sorry for my children, they will never feel the sense of freedom that I enjoy.

1984 is coming just a little bit late.......I don't like this, next they will want to know to test my DNA.

Nothing good will come from turning the world over to technology controled by only a few select individuals. But unfortunatly I don't think we will realise we are there until it is too late.

I am glad it probably won't come in my lifetime, but I feel sorry for my children, they will never feel the sense of freedom that I enjoy.

Talk about extremes... a fingerprint transforms into a full DNA scan. I need to take that tack to the cat house... Heck... I wish I could get you to take me to the car dealer to get a new keychain, you could turn that into a new car for me.

Here here to that 007! We will sheepishly vote ourselves into a Gulag, and when we hear the gate click, we will wonder who we go there!

"Hi Martin, I have just realised that the finger print check at the airport will connect to INTERPOL, and if you did six months jail in the U.S. 15 years ago for selling a joint to an undercover cop then you are branded as criminal and will NOT be admitted into Thailand because you have served TIME IN PRISON! What do you think?"

This kind of information about other countries criminal records is not available to Thai authorities and never will be.

They are collecting fingerprints to store and compare concerning domestic crimes. :o

The good thing about this debate is that both sides will have approximately ten more years to debate it before it ever hopes of getting implemented in Thailand.

Read earlier posts....

This is a pipe dream of a dreamer...

Please feel free to continue the discussion... we have lots of time ...

Indeed. If this fingerprinting actually does get implemented at Suvarnabhumi, it will be solely because the relative of some connected puu-yai is supplying the equipment to immigrations at an inflated price. Doing anything with the collected data will be the furthest thing from anybody's mind. :o

What is the betting that Good/Evil will be rescued by Evil/Good?

I can imagine some terrorist/freedom fighter hacker getting in and corrupting the entire worldwide store of fingerprint records.

One man's dream is another man's nightmare.

This kind of information about other countries criminal records is not available to Thai authorities and never will be.

They are collecting fingerprints to store and compare concerning domestic crimes. :D

And if I don't believe this one, you will tell me another bedtime story? :o

The good thing about this debate is that both sides will have approximately ten more years to debate it before it ever hopes of getting implemented in Thailand.

Read earlier posts....

Never underestimated the capacity of, and the ingenuity applied by all governments to scr#w its citizens

Read earlier posts....

Never underestimated the capacity of, and the ingenuity applied by all governments to scr#w its citizens

Maybe we should all shoot ourselves... I mean life is over. :D I mean they want to see my fingerprint :D They might make me.... :D What was it they were going to take away from me again? I forgot.... Oh.... yeah.... I'd lose my ummm, It would ummm oh crap, I'm a bad bad citizen... I can't remember what that single fingerprint scan would do. Oh... Oh.... Yeah! If I were a stinking criminal, they wouldn't let me back in Thailand. How dare they? :o

In the UK, that bastion of individual freedom, the government retains DNA samples from 5% of the population and is building up the database at an unprecedented rate. Anyone arrested for any recordable crime is forced to give a sample. That sample is retained whether the arrested person is aquitted or not.

Giving up information whether it be the right of a govenment to examine your credit card statements, take a fingerprint or a DNA sample shifts the balance of power away from the individual and gives it to the state. With benign governments that may not be such a big deal but once the information is there it is forever and governments can change. So when it comes to giving them what I consider unneccesary information - centrally stored finger prints, DNA etc - I'd rather not because you can never get it back.

While it's not fingerprint scanning, in a related development at the airport:

s5_copy61.jpg

A thermoscanner monitors a passenger at Suvarnabhumi Airport. The hi-tech device helps identify people with unusually high temperatures who will be required to undergo testing for diseases.

The Nation

----------------------------------------

An interesting point about the thermoscanners is that certain body parts will appear distinctly (by color) different then the rest of the body, which reflects the increased temperature from the blood flow to that part. Might be of concern for the really eager newly arrived passengers.

Best if they keep the scanner aimed at the areas above the waist. :o

An interesting point about the thermoscanners is that certain body parts will appear distinctly (by color) different then the rest of the body, which reflects the increased temperature from the blood flow to that part. Might be of concern for the really eager newly arrived passengers.

I remember when I was a newbie, arriving at the airport about 12 midnight and rushing off to Patpong.

What great days! :o

While it's not fingerprint scanning, in a related development at the airport:

s5_copy61.jpg

A thermoscanner monitors a passenger at Suvarnabhumi Airport. The hi-tech device helps identify people with unusually high temperatures who will be required to undergo testing for diseases.

The Nation

----------------------------------------

Best if they keep the scanner aimed at the areas above the waist. :o

Hmmmm.....most people are 'hot' and sweating, once at the airport with dragging all that luggage on a hot airport.

They will be busy testing passengers for diseases. :D

PS: I can see three figures/numbers on that screen:

34.8 (correct?)

37.5 normal body temperature.

and .33 what's that? would that be ABOVE 37.5 ? so, 37.83 ? :D

What would be the 'line' where they are going to check? 38 ?

LaoPo

The Nation

I wonder which connected relative's company is supplying this hi-tech equipment to Airports of Thailand? :o

• 2 weeks later...

And that's why the new fingerpint scanners:

Two nabbed with fake US passports

A team of Thai-US officials have seized 500 fake US passports and arrested a Thai man and a Pakistani in a joint sting operation in Bangkok, police said Wednesday.

Intizar Hussain, 42, from Pakistan, and Thai Indian Pradit Dubay, whose age is unknown, were arrested at a department store in Thon Buri on Tuesday evening with 500 fake US passports and 432 fake US passport seals, used to cover the passport photo page.

Lt General Viroj Chantarangsi, commander of metropolitan police, said he was contacted by US embassy security staff in February about a fake passport gang.

After nine months of investigation, police went undercover and pretended to buy 500 fake US passports for Bt1.25 million, or Bt2,500 apiece at the department store.

The two suspects later confessed that they had also falsified passports from Singapore, Britain, France, Italy and Malaysia.

Police said the gang hired various printing shops across Bangkok to produce fake passports during the night.

The Nation, AFP

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30015941

"Police said the gang hired various printing shops across Bangkok to produce fake passports during the night."

The people 'in the know' in those printing shops should be charged, too. (Unless, of couse, they reported what nefarious activities they had been engaged in to the police, and were asked to carry on.)

Probity depends on everybody acting ethically, either because they feel it is right, or because they are afraid of being caught doing wrong.

• 8 months later...
I wonder which connected relative's company is supplying this hi-tech equipment to Airports of Thailand? :o

those scanners are relics of the bird-flu/sars era and have been lying unused at dmk. some genius has probably dusted them out of the closet with another devious plan to fill up more purchase requisitions... :D