Opinion: Big smiles in the Land of ?

Lite Beer

Opinion: Big smiles in the Land of ?
Phuket Gazette -

14_2015102113950109_JRKzniRZhRUrXZkrhhep

PHUKET: It is a pleasure to see that the ‘Ministry of Farang Affairs’ resonates with our readers, with each weekly installment serving up a new, and wry, view on the expat experience here in Thailand.

Drawn up by well-known satirist Stephff at Gazette partner publication The Nation, these cartoons mark a considerable departure from his usual political work. They instead focus on the challenges faced by foreigners living here in the 'Land of [ever-fluctuating] Smiles'. Nonetheless, they impart the same characteristic wit.

The cultural chasm between Thailand and the West has long been a source of surprise, wonder, amusement, frustration, confusion – and more – for foreigners. Given this fact, it is not surprising that a number of popular books, like 'CultureShock! Thailand', have been written, each in an attempt to alert the uninitiated on what to expect after they arrive here.

All expats eventually learn the hard way, as no book or travel guide can ever adequately prepare a newcomer for what's in store in Thailand. Thus, we think the time is ripe to move the message into the realm of cartoons.

Perhaps the best tidbit of advice for newcomers is this: always expect the unexpected, and you'll never be disappointed. After all, none other than the country’s official tourism promotion body, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) itself, introduced ‘Amazing Thailand’ as its annual slogan back 1998.

Read More: http://www.phuketgazette.net/opinion/Opinion-Big-smiles-the-Land/62062

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-10-04

They instead focus on the challenges faced by foreigners living here

Based on the posts on TV, I'd say a large number of farang are challenged before reaching Thailand and once here they manage to elevate it to an art form.

And then there are also those who think they are never challenged, but inevitably prove otherwise by what they post on TVF!

They instead focus on the challenges faced by foreigners living here

Based on the posts on TV, I'd say a large number of farang are challenged before reaching Thailand and once here they manage to elevate it to an art form.

A post proving itself.......

A fair amount of patience, tolerance, and a good sense of humor will help alleviate much of the stress and angst of the daily grind in Thailand...

If the Thais are smiling at you...it is with good reason...giggle.gif

My opinion is never to fall in love in Thailand and believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see. #1 land of scams because this is what they were taught since babies!

How much did she take you for?

Apt name by the way.

The only thing I expect in Thailand is when I go to Immigration and the Immigration officer changes the rules again and asks me to drop my trousers and bend over. When that doesn't happen I am a happy fella.