Border Run Udon Thani to Laos & Back

coolhand53089

Hi, does anyone know a good bus line or other cheap ground transportation service that I can use to make a border run from Udon Thani to Laos and back in the same day?

I have a one-year multiple entry visa, so I just need to go out & come back in as far as I know. Any of you guys know about this please? Thank you.

There is a Thai-Laos bus service from Udon bus station (near Central) which goes all the way to Vientiane. Same to come back. You need to buy your Laos visa before travel from a travel agent 1500thb. U cannot pay $30/35 as u can at the border. Im not sure if u can save time and get off on the other side of the bridge and get on the next one coming back. You probably can.

There is/was an Udon/Nong khai train about 11am,, very expensive....about 17thb...smile.png , which goes to a station near the bridge where u can get a 5 minute tuk tuk ride for about 30thb to the bridge. Not sure about other times or train times back, but you can ask and pick up a timetable in English at the railway station.

Of note if you are using a tuk-tuk to the border:

When I did that, he stopped at some sort of "visa agent" about 1 km before the border. I had done my homework, and when I went inside, I quickly realized that it was just a scheme to rip me off, very likely with a kickback to the driver for having brought me in. I told the driver to take me to the actual border, which he did. I walked across the border and got my own Lao visa on the Lao side. It cost something in the order of B 1000, though there was a slight variation in the charge depending on your country of origin.

• 4 months later...

Great info on this thread, thanks all

THE QUESTION

When doing a border run there via Udon Thani airport, where should stay overnight, and spend time? Laos or Thailand? Udon Thani, Nonkhai, Thanaleng, or Vientiane?

BUDGET

I want to feel like I saw something, but I don't want to spend a lot of money. To give you an idea, in Chiang Mai to save money, I eat local food, and I get around by song thaew, bicycle and walking. I live without AC at the moment, but I do need screens and a good fan. And I would prefer an "international bathroom", i.e. not a squat toilet. But since I'm traveling alone, I particularly don't want to overspend on a luxury hotel.

WHAT I MIGHT DO WITH THE DAY

In general, I like anything that's health or fitness related, and I like history, and I like meeting very pretty girls - the good kind.

WHAT I DON'T WANT TO DO

If possible, I want to avoid sitting in an internet cafe all day. I also want to avoid wasting time, money and bodily substance on women I will never see again.

ARRIVAL

2016 March 30, Wednesday, at 1710 pm I arrive Udon Thani airport on Nok Air.

PURPOSE

I just need to cross border and re-enter Thailand. No consulate trip needed.

DEPARTURE

2016 March 31, Thursday, at 1600 pm I check in at Udon Thai airport to check in for return flight on Nok Air.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give on where to focus, and also how much money I need to budget. Thanks!

Keep up to date on the Nok Air situation. There are threads running on this forum, and stories in the Thai media; flight cancellations without notice due to a shortage of pilots. By the date of your proposed travel they may be out of business. It is hard to see how they can continue, with the sort of publicity they have had in the last few weeks.

Keep up to date on the Nok Air situation. There are threads running on this forum, and stories in the Thai media; flight cancellations without notice due to a shortage of pilots. By the date of your proposed travel they may be out of business. It is hard to see how they can continue, with the sort of publicity they have had in the last few weeks.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I was vaguely aware of criticism but thought it just stemmed from safety issues, which don't concern me much. Crazy expat, you know.

So anyway, I'm now glad I scheduled trip one day before mandatory exit. Time to improvise should the need arise.

THE QUESTION

When doing a border run there via Udon Thani airport,

Answer ,

When you leave departure , at Udon Airport , directly in front of you of you will be grey mini buses ,

which will take you directly to friendship bridge, Nong kai .

Without the inconvenience, of a wasted night in Udon . wai2.gif

Edited by elliss

THE QUESTION

When doing a border run there via Udon Thani airport,

Answer ,

When you leave departure , at Udon Airport , directly in front of you of you will be grey mini buses ,

which will take you directly to friendship bridge, Nong kai .

Without the inconvenience, of a wasted night in Udon . wai2.gif

Thank you for the feedback, coming in loud and clear!

Is the OP from UK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pattaya aka ,

ex. farlang land .wub.png

fond memories , where i met my wife , then Udon ,

where we all lived happily ever after, until ..

frking brother my ass .coffee1.gif

Bttopic , hire a motorbike for the day , 200 bht and do the Nongkers visa run , in a day .

No prob.wai2.gif

Edited by elliss