Motorcycle Prices Negotiable?

wpcoe

About a week ago I stopped by a Yamaha dealer on Sukhumvit near Pattaya Nua, and got prices for a new Nuovo: B53,000 with spoke wheels, B56,000 with cast wheels.

Today I walked past a dealer of both Honda & Nuovo on Pattaya Tai and stopped in to ask about the Honda Click. Coincidentally I found the price of a new Nuovo there was B50,000 with spoke wheels and B53,000 with cast wheels.

I can be overly naieve at times. Is buying a motorbike in Thailand like buying computer parts at Pantip Plaza? Should I offer less (B45,000?) and see if there's a compromise, or would that be insulting and cause the sales person to lose face? :o

New motorbikes are mostly sold in big places where an employee has no authority to give a special discount and the boss is not around :o

So the price may be fix, but there usually go some 'presents' along like a helmet and an anorak etc. This goodies may only be offered to a rich farang if you ask for them.

Shops make often 'special offers' with reduced price or lower down payment. You may look around but do not expect to find a big discount - or if you do - suspect it, they may be add costs which are usually included (registration, insurance) with a new bike.

Regards

Thedi

i can reference my recent car shopping which shouldnt be too different.

i think they do make a lot of their money on credit/ payments and interest.

i asked recently on a similar thread about car price negotiating, the consensus was that the price wasnt negotiable. but that you could get more options thrown in for 'free' like tinted windows etc.

you can negotiate.....

you might ask for 12 months licence be included...or helmets and jackets....you may ask for certain additions you want...like a carry basket etc....

you can negotiate price but the margins are fairly small....a couple of thousand baht is about all you would get.

Doesnt it sound like your own country???

Thanks for the feedback. I'm getting the impression that there's not much wiggle room for the dealer to negotiate. I also get the impression the first dealer (near Pattaya Nua) was trying to gouge me. :o

Speaking of the carry basket, I eliminated the Honda Click and Yamaha Fino right away, because they don't accommodate a front basket. When I go shopping I need the basket.

Prices for motor bikes and cars are negotiable, if you know how to do it.

First of all they will not give a good discount if any to a foreigner.

I shopped for a new car in many different places but all Toyota dealers, where in Thailand they call them showrooms.

Another thing I learned is they do not like the word discount. They will tell you I can not give you much of a discount but can go down in price.

So much of what I learned is if you have a Thai wife do what I did. Send your wife in to buy the car.

The car IWe bought was the new 2006 Altis, added 30,000 baht worth of options. The list price of the car was 844,000 baht without options.

My wife purchased the car for 830,000 baht with the options. True only 14,000 baht discount, but all options free.

Most people I have talked to was unable to move them off the list price, but was able to negotiate the options.

Barry