Oz Spouse Visa Question.

"Just adding to this....A marriage certificate, certified copy or not is not acceptable as proof of marriage....you will need a wedding extract from the Dept of Births, Deaths and Marriages. "

My wife and I have just been married in Thailand. We have the fancy looking marriage certificate and we also have another doccument from the amphur with alot of signatures that also has the details of our marriage. What do I need to do next before I apply for her Spouse visa to Australia. After reading the comment above it sounds like I would need to register the marriage in Australia first then get proof of that from the Dept of Marriages. Or are the marriage doccuments given to me from the amphur enough? Can I get a wedding extract from the amphur here and then get it translated into English, or do I need to have it done in Oz? I am living here with her now and I dont plan to go back to Oz any time soon. Thanks...

See also Registering marriages in Thailand:

Marriages registered in Thailand are recognised by Australian authorities, but further documentation will be required from Births Deaths and Marriages for passport issue purposes.

Also from Partner Migration Visa, Form 47SP – completed in English and signed by the applicant: (section 75)

If applying on the grounds of marriage, give details of marriage (enclose a certified copy of your marriage certificate).

The marriage certificate may have to be translated from Thai to English as the form has to be completed in English.

From reading that, I guess all I have to do is to Translate all the marriage doccuments I got from the Amphur into English and then get that verified?

Because since we got married here in Thailand, I have not notified any agency in Australia of my marriage, so I would not be able to get a so called "extract" from any place in australia.

See also Registering marriages in Thailand:
Marriages registered in Thailand are recognised by Australian authorities, but further documentation will be required from Births Deaths and Marriages for passport issue purposes.

Also from Partner Migration Visa, Form 47SP – completed in English and signed by the applicant: (section 75)

If applying on the grounds of marriage, give details of marriage (enclose a certified copy of your marriage certificate).

The marriage certificate may have to be translated from Thai to English as the form has to be completed in English.

Vinny...page 32 of the Partner migration booklet states that a registry extract is needed form the appropriate authority. This contradicts what it says on the from at question 75....Probably best to supply certified copies of both to be on the safe side.

Edited by gburns57au

From reading that, I guess all I have to do is to Translate all the marriage doccuments I got from the Amphur into English and then get that verified?

Because since we got married here in Thailand, I have not notified any agency in Australia of my marriage, so I would not be able to get a so called "extract" from any place in australia.

Once you register a marriage in Thailand the Aust Authorities are notified....this is to prevent people from having multiple wives in different countries. However for your application the translated and certified copies of all your Thai marriage documents would suffice.

Edited by gburns57au

Mate - I have a Thai wife too (I am an aussie) but good luck with the embassy - they are not very user-friendly at all. It is a real good idea to register your marriage with the consular staff at the Oz embassy. Marriage papers translated are fine for the application to migrate to Oz. Be aware that it usually takes eighteen months for them to approve her application ! They check every ###### thing and she needs police check, approved medical with a sealed bag for the HIV results etc. It also costs over two grand to apply these days. If you have any intention of taking her to Oz to live and you have the cash, then my advice is apply now. Then time will be on your side. Good luck !

18 months..........................I dont like the sound of that. From what i hear lately they have sped up the process. I guess it must just depend on how they take your application. I will proably apply within the next 2 months depending on how quick i get everything together. If the visa is granted before you want to go to Australia what options do you have? I mean i will apply about 9 months before i want to go back, but if the visa is granted early, are they flexible or do you have to pack you shit and leave when they say so?

We just had a post from Aussie Andy reporting that his spouse visa was approved in 4.5 weeks, so 18 months is a bit out there, when we applied for my Wife's, the quoted time was 9 months.

I have said this countless times before, the easiest way to get married in LOS is to use a translation service, it's a one stop shop, they organise everything even the taxis.

Aussiestyle there is a time frame where your wife will have to enter Oz before, from memory it's about one year from initial application.

best of luck

We just had a post from Aussie Andy reporting that his spouse visa was approved in 4.5 weeks, so 18 months is a bit out there, when we applied for my Wife's, the quoted time was 9 months.

I have said this countless times before, the easiest way to get married in LOS is to use a translation service, it's a one stop shop, they organise everything even the taxis.

Aussiestyle there is a time frame where your wife will have to enter Oz before, from memory it's about one year from initial application.

best of luck

Bronco, is this a certified translation service recognised by the Oz embassy? if so, can you name one? :o

best of luck

Bronco, is this a certified translation service recognised by the Oz embassy? if so, can you name one? :o

It is an official service on the list from embassy

Interlanguage Translation Centre

It's just off sukkumvit rd at wireless rd from memory but phone no is 022527450 and Titita Murphy is the proprietor, she can organise everything.

best of luck

It is an official service on the list from embassy

Interlanguage Translation Centre

It's just off sukkumvit rd at wireless rd from memory but phone no is 022527450 and Titita Murphy is the proprietor, she can organise everything.

Thank you for the info, it saves people a lot running around, which is $$$$$$ :D

Mate - I have a Thai wife too (I am an aussie) but good luck with the embassy - they are not very user-friendly at all. It is a real good idea to register your marriage with the consular staff at the Oz embassy. Marriage papers translated are fine for the application to migrate to Oz. Be aware that it usually takes eighteen months for them to approve her application ! They check every ###### thing and she needs police check, approved medical with a sealed bag for the HIV results etc. It also costs over two grand to apply these days. If you have any intention of taking her to Oz to live and you have the cash, then my advice is apply now. Then time will be on your side. Good luck !

Most people have their visas within 6 months...If it takes 18 months then the police check and medicals need to be done again, they are only valid for 12 months...If it took 18 months then there must have been problems with that application...And certainly at the moment it is taking a lot less time...probably due to the issuing of 12 month multi entry visas for tourists cutting down on the workload.