exporting

overherebc

As the specs on many new cars here are lower than those of the UK/Europe I doubt many people would want to do that. Classic cars are generally far more expensive here and not restored to a standard that would excite interest abroad.

Of course it depends - and CarKolor is a shining example of the few exceptions. Alas there are far to many, as Kevin says, that fall below their standards.

I wonder how many other restorers could be recommended as working to the same levels?

Check out http://www.carkolor.com/ and see if your bodyshop can match or exceed them.

Whilst you're at it click on the link to Classic Cars of Lanna and see what's going on in Northern Thailand.

Very true about CarKolor. But for a car that you want to drive everyday is it viable to spend so much on getting a result that is fitting for putting behind glass and admiring. For a daily usable car it's possible to get a good result especially in BKK.

Of course if the car is the last recorded only model in existance or one of only a few built then you use CarKolor or similar.

To weld a few holes in the floor and renew bushes

and joints etc it can be done well in a lot of places.

Just keep your eye on it while the work is being done and you'll get the result you need.

True, overherebc - but the question was - would you want to export the result to the UK.

In the case of a quality restoration it might depend not only on the work but the relative value of that vehicle and the work in two different markets' or you may be sentimentally attached to it.

Personally I don't think I would even consider exporting a vehicle knocked together in 'a lot of places' no matter how well done.

But we are drifting into old car territory here - would anyone consider taking a new (or, say an 18 month old) car manufactured & sold here to the UK/Europe/USA or other far flung markets.

I wonder if there are markets where they may not be acceptable either by regulation or perceived safety/value benchmarks?

Edited by Saraphee

Anyway,

The question came up while talking to an old friend who is here from Spain for a break. He moved to Spain a good few years ago and took his Harley, yes, I know that's a bike, to Spain where he said he could use it for a year and then had to get it changed in various ways to conform to Spanish requirements. Ended up more complicated than he imagined. He is now thinking about moving back to UK and reckons he will have to go through the whole changing back thing for the bike.

From there the conversation went to, wonder if it would be the same taking a 'vehicle' back to UK from here so I thought I'd stick the question on TV and see what people reckon.

Financially not worth it, I know, you could get the same model/year/make a lot cheaper etc in the UK market.

There is some classics here that are very hard to find in the UK and at a reasonable price.

Of course there is lots of old Japanese rear wheel drive cars here which have a following in the UK but were only ever in small numbers there and most rusted away years ago.

Then of course with all the rear wheel drive cars there is a market for them in drifting and classic and club rallying, club circuit racing, all as above as to why people want them.

As for importing into the UK it would have to go through the IVA test, this is the problem. Research it yourself to see how difficult it is.

VAT and Import tax need to be paid.

Not done it myself.