Top honour for Krabi man for rescuing tourists

webfact

KRABI
Top honour for man for rescuing tourists

SITTHICHAI SIKHAWAT
THE NATION

30271214-03_big.jpg
Chat Ubonjinda

BANGKOK: -- A KRABI man who risked his life to rescue a Norwegian couple stuck in riverside mud will be conferred with a "Seu Samart" (honorary jacket) by HRH Princess Bajra Kitiyabha during a ceremony in Bangkok on Friday.

Chat Ubonjinda, 44, will also get a chance to meet with Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha during his trip to the capital.

But before Chat could board an Air Asia flight to Bangkok at around 4pm yesterday, officials from the Krabi Red Cross office had to provide him with medical treatment for his back pain, which he sustained when he let the couple step on his back to escape the mud.

To praise his good deed and sacrifice, the Krabi Provincial Electricity Authority will take care of a temporary electric meter shared by Chat's five adjoining family houses and a power bill worth almost Bt10,000 a month, while the Muang Krabi Municipality will build a public road leading to his home so that electricity poles can be erected.

Chat welcomed the initiatives as they would help his family save money since his work laying foundation pillars has dried up.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Top-honour-for-man-for-rescuing-tourists-30271214.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-20

Sore back from the rescue.... Hmmnnn smile.png

I recall watching the video & thinking "That must have hurt like hell".

I know my back would have been hurting & I'm pretty close to that guy's age.

Glad to see he is getting some recognition for his kind deed.

A jacket!! something to eat might have been better or a few baht.

Thais hold the royal family with great revere

This is probably a great honour and most would likely choose it over a bit of cash

Someone should ask the mayor why this man wasn't already connected to the power grid and had a telegraph pole already to serve the families in his area....

Finally he's getting it, but he had to be a famous hero to get a basic service ... How long would be have been waiting if his hero deed didn't get to the media?

can you please explain what you mean by Hmmnn,because the rescued man look heavy,nothing for your SAS type of person though

Probably using his highly intelligent western thinking, you know- injured in the event - maybe I can now sue someone for mega-bucks.

A jacket!! something to eat might have been better or a few baht.

Thais hold the royal family with great revere

This is probably a great honour and most would likely choose it over a bit of cash

Someone should ask the mayor why this man wasn't already connected to the power grid and had a telegraph pole already to serve the families in his area....

Finally he's getting it, but he had to be a famous hero to get a basic service ... How long would be have been waiting if his hero deed didn't get to the media?

was he after power or telegraph services?

I'm pleased to see him receive some recognition and reward for what he did. I watched the video and after he had helped the couple he simply walked away, all covered in mud, as if it was all in a days work and with no apparent expectation of reward. Good that someone videoed the incident so that his selfless act was made public.

can you please explain what you mean by Hmmnn,because the rescued man look heavy,nothing for your SAS type of person though

Probably using his highly intelligent western thinking, you know- injured in the event - maybe I can now sue someone for mega-bucks.

Only a Merkin would think that ...

One of those Thais that you meet occasionally that make you forget the others.

Well done that man.

In the Thailand I have know and experienced for over 30 years, my experience of good vs. bad Thai people is opposite from yours. Indeed there are some very bad people here in Thailand, but I meet way more good ones than bad.

Well done most deserved im sure he will enjoy his 15 minutes and having proper elecricity supply and the road of course but i suspect meeting a member of the Thailand Royal Family will top the rest for him. well done posters only one Thai basher must be a record.

Edited by Sutty