Schengen Visa

Hi Guys

We (Thai wife & I) are planning a trip to Italy in a few weeks and have made an appointment for a Schengen Visa at Italian Embassy London. We would like to obtain a 1 year Shengen visa so that we can shoot off to other Shengen countries without worrying about visa applications during that year.

I emailed the Italian Embassy stating that we would like to apply for a Schengen visa and that our first country of call will be Italy, I received a reply and they said to telephone the Embassy to make an appointment and that the length of the visa will depend on the interview ? It seems then that a 1 year Shengen visa application is not as straight forward as we first thought.

Could then the Italian Embassy just issue a visa for the couple of weeks we intend to stay in Italy if they choose to ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

clive sorts

My only experience of this was when my wife still had her probationary 2-year visa and we applied to go to Germany. The German embassy in London would not issue a visa with a validity of longer than 6 months until such a time as my wife had her indefinite leave. If I remember correctly, your missus is still on her initial 2 years.

However, don't forget that, in theory, your wife's visa should be issued free of charge as she is the spouse of an EEA national.

Scouse.

Is an application to any of the Schnegen countries automatically a Schengen visa - or can there be a visa restricted to a specific country, eg France?

My Thai girl friend would like to come with me for a holiday to France on a tourist visa for a month or so. She has no job here; she does have a couple of very young children who would remain here (a reason to return, etc). I could furnish the necessary proof of funds and undertaking to cover her needs. I'm british; but own a flat in Paris.

Where on a scale of 100 would be her prospects of getting a tourist (30-90 day) visa? But perhaps this question is unaswerable on those few facts. But if someone has recently obtained such a tourist visa for France I'd be interested to hear of it.

Is an application to any of the Schnegen countries automatically a Schengen visa - or can there be a visa restricted to a specific country, eg France?

My Thai girl friend would like to come with me for a holiday to France on a tourist visa for a month or so. She has no job here; she does have a couple of very young children who would remain here (a reason to return, etc). I could furnish the necessary proof of funds and undertaking to cover her needs. I'm british; but own a flat in Paris.

Where on a scale of 100 would be her prospects of getting a tourist (30-90 day) visa? But perhaps this question is unaswerable on those few facts. But if someone has recently obtained such a tourist visa for France I'd be interested to hear of it.

Yes: Schengen=Schengen, so valid for ALL Schengen-countries; you could decide to make a quick trip to Belgium or Italy or Spain or Germany; no problem, once you have the Schengen Visa.

I have no idea if it's difficult or not to obtain a Schengen-Visa for your girl-friend but if she has a valid UK-visa I don't think it will be a big problem; but as said, I have no experience.

LaoPo

There's a couple of potential problems with getting a Schengen short-stay visa to France on a UK VV - if that's what your girlfriend has. First, her UK visitor's visa has to be valid for at least another 3 months from the trip to France (you didn't say how long she'd already been in the UK). Second, she has to come back into the UK again and may be subject to questions about why she is doing so, ie: is she visiting the UK or attempting to live there and extend her stay by a further 6 months. Third, appointments at the French Embassy in London for interview/issue of a visa are difficult to get: you can only book up to 2 months in advance and they seem to be pretty chockka with appointments most of the time.

Edited by paully

I'm sorry that on one important point my post may have been misleading. She is not in England, but Thailand - where I'm also now based. Next spring I need to go to Paris - from Thailand - for a couple of months, and she'd like to come with me. There is no necessity for her to go to England - where I can make a quick trip on my own to tie up a few things.

So esentially I'm asking about the prospects of her getting a tourist visa from the french embassy in Thailand - preferably 60 days, but 30 would do. Just wonder if someone has got that recently, and how relaxed or difficult they are there.

My only experience of this was when my wife still had her probationary 2-year visa and we applied to go to Germany. The German embassy in London would not issue a visa with a validity of longer than 6 months until such a time as my wife had her indefinite leave. If I remember correctly, your missus is still on her initial 2 years.

However, don't forget that, in theory, your wife's visa should be issued free of charge as she is the spouse of an EEA national.

Scouse.

Scouse

Thanks for your reply.

What seems to confuse me is this, when does the Schengen visa become a Schengen visa ?

When we get the visa from the Italian Embassy, say for arguements sake 6 months, does that mean it is a 6 month Schengen visa or is it a 6 month visa to Italy ?

Thanks.

Regards

clive sorts

Lotus eater,

Your girlfriend will need or as it was last week 50K euros in the bank, medical proof of coverage, the actual plane ticket pre-paid and a 3-5 week wait for approval. This was given from a friend who works at the embassy.

Good luck

I'm sorry that on one important point my post may have been misleading. She is not in England, but Thailand - where I'm also now based. Next spring I need to go to Paris - from Thailand - for a couple of months, and she'd like to come with me. There is no necessity for her to go to England - where I can make a quick trip on my own to tie up a few things.

So esentially I'm asking about the prospects of her getting a tourist visa from the french embassy in Thailand - preferably 60 days, but 30 would do. Just wonder if someone has got that recently, and how relaxed or difficult they are there.

never had a problem, its easy, france is the most visited country on earth, they like tourists. Just make sure you fulfil crtieria for stay as detailed on schengen visa form and guidance notes; helps if you have a friend in paris or france for attestation d'accuil, just a place in france they can stay rather than a hotel. and someone who knows you and her. They get it at their mairie.just need a utility bill.

Scouse.

Scouse

Thanks for your reply.

What seems to confuse me is this, when does the Schengen visa become a Schengen visa ?

When we get the visa from the Italian Embassy, say for arguements sake 6 months, does that mean it is a 6 month Schengen visa or is it a 6 month visa to Italy ?

Thanks.

Regards

clive sorts

The visa issued by the Italian Embassy will be a "Schegen Visa issued by a member state" and will be valid for all the countries that participate in the programme - which include the following: Germany, Spain. Italy, Holland, Portugal.

I am not sure about Switzerland, Lictenstein, Andorra and Monte Carlo - and some of the Scandanavian coiuntries - but in any case - there is nothing to stop her going to many of those places, in all practicality - as you will know when you drive across the across the border of these places they hardly ever stop any cars and ask for passports.

But it does NOT include the UK - the UK is not part of the Schegen visa programme - a seperate visa is required that needs to be issued by the UK embassy in Bkk.

A Schengen-Visa should be applied a) from the visa-office of the main destination (The OP wants to visit Italy, so it is the Italian office) 'B) if main destination not clear visa should be applied form the office of the first entry-country.

Visa limited to a single - member state are issued in exceptional cases, only.

Validity single or multi is 90 days stay within 6 months from the date of first entry.

Once the Schengen-visa is granted, it is valid for all 15 member-states under the Schengen agreement.

Edited by Axel

Lotus eater,

Your girlfriend will need or as it was last week 50K euros in the bank, medical proof of coverage, the actual plane ticket pre-paid and a 3-5 week wait for approval. This was given from a friend who works at the embassy.

Good luck

Are you serious & sure about the 50k euros? and did you mean in her bank account or perhaps in the account of a host in France? If the latter, presumably they'd acept prooof of euivalent funds in a bank account in England (EC and all that...)

never had a problem, its easy, france is the most visited country on earth, they like tourists. Just make sure you fulfil crtieria for stay as detailed on schengen visa form and guidance notes; helps if you have a friend in paris or france for attestation d'accuil, just a place in france they can stay rather than a hotel. and someone who knows you and her. They get it at their mairie.just need a utility bill.

Yes, this more relaxed stance would be in line with France's tourist destination status. Could you perhaps comment on the accuracy or necessity of the 50k euro requirement? Haven't seen the schengen form/notes yet so I can't comment myself yet. (Are these available to read/download on the web?). Could I not myself provide the attestation d'accueil along with the residential proof - since I have a flat there with the necessary paperwork? Your post indicates that you have actual experience of the french visa.

Thanks guys for all your replies of advice.

In case it helps anyone there is a 4 week waiting list for appointments at the Italian Embassy in London for visit visas, bit of a bummer as my birthday is in early November so looks like it will be a bit of Thai Karaoke and a Club in London to celebrate instead of a week in Rome.

Thanks

Regards

clive sorts