Robinson annoyances

Luma

Buying something in a department store in Bangkok:  

One person takes the item you want from you and rings it up at the cash register (if they have one!)  A second person takes the item from the first person and walks off somewhere else to put it in a bag.  A third person writes up a receipt (even though it's just been keyed into the cash register).  A fourth person takes the money you've just given the first person (because they never had any change) and wandered off somewhere else to get change.  Meanwhile, the second person comes back with the item now duly wrapped.  But.....you then wait another ten minutes for the fourth person to come back with your change.  And all the time they're all standing looking at you and smiling.

Isn't it great!

This has never happened to me, but your post brought a grin.  Thanks!

May I add a few comments?

I just LOVE.....

...standing in full view of several clerks, all of whom find ways to avoid seeing me when I am perhaps five feet from them, looking right at them with raised eyebrows (expectant mode).  Unfortunately, I usually use these circumstances as opportunities to try to break the record I have already established for the longest time spent waiting quietly to be noticed so I can give the store some money.  Instead of doing the reasonable thing, in other words, I remain silent and still, occasionally looking at my watch.  Bad idea.  You can get old and frustrated that way.  The Thai IGNORE gene is dominant.

...being waited on by someone who knows absolutely nothing whatsoever about what is on the shelf, or what particular item I might need...and has no suggestions about where I might find it, as well as no motivation to see whether there might be something in stock that I would buy.  Well, that happens elsewhere, too.  I was in this store in London, see, and....oh, never mind.

...being told on the telephone that a line (a specific brand name) is in stock, and arriving after a long trip to find that I am viewed as totally loony because I ask about the brand I want.  You know the "When WILL this Bozo go away and leave us in peace?" look.

...being sold a water filter, complete with paper filter insert, and then finding that not only does the store NOT stock replacement filters (yes, they clog up with dirt, and you have to replace them, so there is a market for the product), but they darn sure are NOT going to order them for me, and they think I'm completely crazy for asking!  (Three cheers for good ol' Makro.  I never did check to see whether they also market razors but no blades, fountain pens but no ink, etc, etc....)

Well, almost all the time shopping in Thailand is a pleasure -- an interesting and even enjoyable experience.  I suggest that if Robinson's provides the Keystone Kops service described above by Luna, Central is always ready to take our money, and very efficiently, too!

BTW am I alone in thinking that Lotus manages to make check-out into an ordeal, while the tiny mom-and-pop stores make it actually fun?  (I like to have a laugh with the locals, and they always get a kick out of my version of their language.)  What a pity that Lotus has forced smaller, nicer, friendlier outfits like Food Lion to close their doors.  It seems to me that no one who works in Lotus enjoys the experience....  Anyone agree/disagree?