Lung Cancer

banK

Sorry to hear this but at least you know what you are dealing with. Thank goodness you have the insurance.

Obviously, you will not know the stage (or even for 100% certainty that it is cancer) until the lesions are fully excised and biopsied. And whether or not chemo etc is advised will depend on that.

Take it one step at a time, is best I can advise. You have a good doctor; you have good insurance coverage. These are pluses. Do you have friends/family for emotional support?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phoned Cigna 5 mins ago (4th time today) It's now 2215 night time here 1515 UK time. I have just been told that I can go ahead and they will guarantee payment, so I can now go to sleep with a clear mind that I will be admitted to hospital tomorrow to start the pre op stage.

banK

Sorry to hear this but at least you know what you are dealing with. Thank goodness you have the insurance.

Obviously, you will not know the stage (or even for 100% certainty that it is cancer) until the lesions are fully excised and biopsied. And whether or not chemo etc is advised will depend on that.

Take it one step at a time, is best I can advise. You have a good doctor; you have good insurance coverage. These are pluses. Do you have friends/family for emotional support?

Very lucky with the insurance, started it about 2 1/2 years ago and had to use it in October for thyroid and now this - did not use it at all until then Its more than paid for itself.

The surgeon said that he will cut it out he will take out the RUL (one third of the lung). the infection that is still there he will also excise it (if that is the right expression). He seems to think it is in the very beginning of stage 1.

How lucky was I to have contracted pneumonia at that time which made me aware of all that was to follow.

so so lucky!!

banK

My wife will be travelling down tomorrow from the sticks 80km east of Khon Kaen. She will babysit me till I go into ICU after the op., and then again when I go to a normal room for about 4 days or so. Of course that's if all goes to plan (things never do though!).

banK

Well got the GOP from Cigna and am now installed in a room. The operation will tomorrow at 1500. Have a load of visitors today, EKG, Ultrasound of heart, Thyroid doctor, surgeon, Chest Doctor, Anesthetist just about everybody.

It was discovered after a coronary artery disease study that I have an ASYMPTOMATIC INFRA RENAL AAA that he will fix with a stent in the same hospitalisation period.

It's like getting a 10 year MOT.

banK

Sounds good. It is important to repair aortic aneurysms.

You are in good hands there.

All the best.

Thanks Sheryl.

The estimated cost for taking away top section of RUL and infection in RML is 850,000 - 1,060,000 Baht, then there are pre op tests and after care management, so I reckon another 40,000 - 50,000.

Not cheap by any standard.

I dread to think what the final bill will be after the aneurysm op.

banK

What are the ball park figures on x-ray and ct scan or is it mri scan I should have, I would prefer to go for a one off clear scan as opposed to x-ray then the risk of having another scan.

I have had experience with the KKU hospital, taking my friend there who incidentally has liver cancer, he is always left at the end of the queue regardless of what time he arrives - never been less than an 8 hour wait - lost files, indifference etc. No doubt the expertise is there but Farang friendly? not really.

Also, it is not Cigna uk as mentioned before its cigna global which is regulated in Guernsey, a get out anything place!!

So I think I will have to be a bit careful here!

I won't be using the insurance way until I know what the score is, I'll self pay until then.

Tks

banK

Yes treated like an idiot in Thailand,hard to break through the language barrier too. Try India,Calcutta two hours away,finest equipment the world has to offer,far cheaper than here too. Just type PET scan Calcutta,or whatever you search for,see the various options stay away from Apollo chain,bit like the BKK chain here,direct hospital not franchised
Yep had some dental work done in India tbh i was working in an ashram they had their dentist they had used b4 but still it took some persuasion to get me there as the country lacks somewhat in hygiene ect ect but was hugely impressed top draw all around . Facilities workmanship and the price, , they covered it, was unbelievable.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bank I'm sure i can speak for all on here that were thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Please excuse the seemingly insensitive

Previous post i replied as i was.reading through the post at the time.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

BanK,

If you read this message, we all hope you're surrounded by caring hospital staff - do not be too impatient to get out until all exams confirm there are no risks ( such as infection etc.. ),

enjoy your meals - I'm sure they taste better in thai hospitals than anywhere else, and recover step by step.

Hi again,

I had the operation on the 8th.

The surgeon told me when I woke up that he had to remove both the upper and middle sections. He said that they were fused together - on the bright side it put paid to the pneumonia as that was residing there. There's an up to a down most times!

I was in ICU for 3 days because I had an irregular heartbeat, anyway they fixed that with drugs.

I have a plastic tube coming out from my side which is draining the lung, expect it to be there for a few more days

The surgeon who did the operation on his visit today, said that he would like another scan done to study the aneurysm to see how to tackle it - up through the groin and put a stent in, alternatively a cut down the middle job, I've had my fill of cuts.

Of course this all depends on Cigna. Can't see a problem there, especially as he will compose the referral.

Oh yes, forgot to tell you how painful it all is, especially when I cough or laugh!!

If it gets the sanction from Cigna I could be here for another week to 10 days.

And thanks for all your thoughts/encouragement

banK

So they removed 2/3 of your right lung ? Do you now have a beautiful long scarf on your back?

Do not hesitate to tell the doctor how you feel, what's going on... especially if the cough does not stop - they may check if there is a false membrane or anything else

Hoping you manage to rest and sleep and do not lose your appetite.

So they removed 2/3 of your right lung ? Do you now have a beautiful long scarf on your back?

Do not hesitate to tell the doctor how you feel, what's going on... especially if the cough does not stop - they may check if there is a false membrane or anything else

Hoping you manage to rest and sleep and do not lose your appetite.

I have an incision on the right side, not too long apparently, also there will be one where the plastic drain tube is inserted.

I haven't a cough as such it's phlegm on the chest - sometimes you cough involuntary also when trying to bring it up from the throat. I manage to sleep now at night for a few hours better than I did in ICU.

Talking of ICU you have these man pants - when you want to crap lie on your side and let it all out - psychologically I can't do this even with the aid of constipation tablets. Up in the normal room the next day managed one,then the following day 2 more, all a bit of a strain!!

Today had a CT scan with contrast- this in preparation for the aneurysm operation.

The pathologist payed a visit with the result of the lung operation. The tumor was malignant but all the lymph node around it were benign. Stage 1 caught in time.

So I put it down to helping people (friend who I took to KKU hospital for his chemo) This is in all likelihood where I developed the pneumonia which caused me to bring up blood - then the story started.

I am now waiting in the hospital for the aneurysm operation.

Thanks to all for the encouragement, especially Sheryl for the good advise about hospitals and other information.

banK

What a nightmare!

The surgeon who is going to the do aneurysm operation just dropped by.

Because I have a bit of a bend in the abdominal artery and that the aneurysm resides near the bend, it would put a kidney in jeopardy if a normal stent is used, there is no safe landing zone mine 0.8cm, minimum 1.5cm. Option 2 - have a custom made stent (3 x more expensive about 3 million baht) or cut me open so he can work directly.

I asked what he would recommend - the cut. But before that I would have to do thorough heart exam to see if I could tolerate the 4 hour operation.

So I'm not out of the woods yet. I've had a few instances of irregular heartbeats, can be controlled by meds - but is this acceptable I don't know .

So it's in the lap of the gods.

See what happens

banK

From what you describe, open is probably safer. If they try with a fancy custom made stent and anything goes wrong (which it could) they'd still have to cut you open and at that point on an emergency basis which is never desirable. Planned open procedure is probably your best bet.

But of course should stabilize the heart issues first.

Sorry for the lack of posts.

Had the chest drain taken out today - in the normal course of events I should have been out on the 13th.

Was told by the surgeon today that they have the go ahead for the AAA operation, maybe scheduled for the weekend.

Thanks for the continued encouragement, believe me it helps.

banK

Had the chest drain taken out today - in the normal course of events I should have been out on the 13th.

Was told by the surgeon today that they have the go ahead for the AAA operation, maybe scheduled for the weekend.

banK

We are with you banK, not a day goes past that I don't look for any new postings from you.

I wish I could give you some religious help, but I can't other than say "may your God be with you". Good luck my friend

banK

We are with you banK, not a day goes past that I don't look for any new postings from you.

I wish I could give you some religious help, but I can't other than say "may your God be with you". Good luck my friend

Pauly

Much appreciated.

banK

Hello banK,

Haven't posted since I started following this thread with great attention. Just wanted to share my best wishes and moral support too. I know what you're going through. I've had a cancer in my 30s, first operation in '93, relapse in '96 with 2 more operations. Clean since then, I've had a 10-year followup. It took me several years but I've managed to have my doctor eventually tell me "you're cured". So be confident ! you can thank whomever you believe in for this pneumonia, it's probably what made you discover your tumor a such an early stage. As Sheryl said, not many people have this luck. I'm no doctor (although I work in a hospital and I'm surrounded by doctors) but it's my understanding that at stage 1 with full removal prognosis is good.

Again, my warmest support and best wishes.

Edited by Lannig