Repatriated Yank nearing retirement; Thailand or Costa Rica ?

maxman71

Can't understand why you would want to leave the USA,

Unless it's for cheap women.

And at your age, I'd give them a miss.

Cheap hookers as a holiday treat ...... no problem.

But as a lifestyle it sucks.

I thought cheap hookers as available as a cold beer had some merit.

Just be sure your ready for that sore in the mirror eventually. Often, you get more then what you bargained for.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a note - some see third world - others see developing world

For me, the biggest reason to be here is that I enjoy Thai people and Thai culture and sense of humor.

But, to each his own - hope you find yours.

Thai sense of humour ????????

Yes, which is far more pronounced than in places such as good old UK, where everyone seems to walk around with a long face, particularly in the soggy winters - mind you, if I lived there I would I would probably find it difficult to have the permanent happy smiling face that I do here!

Ever watched the slapstick 'comedy' on television that they all find highly amusing, whatever age they are ?

Not funny in the slightest.

I was born and bred in a city known as 'the capital of humour', and the Thai's sense of humour is non existent in my eyes.

Just FYI, when you Google "the capital of humor", Odessa, Ukraine comes up. cheesy.gif

I was born and raised in NYC, hometown of Larry David, Jerry Seinfeld, Tracy Morgan, Don Rickles, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, George Carlin, Joan Rivers, Ben Stiller, Jerry Stiller, Anne Meara, Alan King, Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Jimmy Fallon, Keenen Ivory Wayans, Jon Stewart, Rodney Dangerfield, Jimmy Durante, Mel Brooks, Ray Romano, Rosie O'Donnell, The Marx Brothers, Whoopi Goldberg, and the Three Stooges, just to name a few.

In my opinion, Thais have a wonderful sense of humor. Slapstick is but a tiny slice of the Thai humor palette. If you take the time to learn the language, you will begin to appreciate this.

Wrong side of the ocean.

But coming from where you do, it is easy to understand why you appreciate the, so called, Thai humour.

I can only tell you what I've done. I've kept my home in the US and then I travel when I want to.

It's pretty hard for me to knock the US compared to 3rd world countries. The US is so big it's easy to find a climate you like, and you can choose rural or big city. I don't care for big cities but they make up a tiny percentage of the land mass.

I can't even imagine living full time in a third world country but to each his own.

Cheers.

With all due respect Thailand is hardly a "Third World" country...that would be places like Haiti, Sierra Leone, and Somalia...

"Just FYI, when you Google 'the capital of humor', Odessa, Ukraine comes up."

Don't knock Odessa! Winters are bad certainly, but for six months of the year it's quite a grand place to be. Good food, not expensive, and loaded with 19th century character.

I can only tell you what I've done. I've kept my home in the US and then I travel when I want to.

It's pretty hard for me to knock the US compared to 3rd world countries. The US is so big it's easy to find a climate you like, and you can choose rural or big city. I don't care for big cities but they make up a tiny percentage of the land mass.

I can't even imagine living full time in a third world country but to each his own.

Cheers.

I live full time in a beach community in Phuket and can't imagine living anywhere else. It's a retirement community with beautiful women. Living in a small expat community, you get to know everyone in town after a while. Every day in this beautiful place is exciting. I'm never bored.

< snip >

I can't imagine moving to Thailand and living in an expat beach community. Even when I lived in Florida I never lived closer than 50 miles to the beach. One reason I like living in the wilds of Isaan is because I rarely have to deal with farangs and can go for days without speaking English. When friends ask where I live, I tell them a lot of the places farangs tend to live are close to the beach like Miami -- I prefer to live in the Iowa of Thailand.

Every day for me is exciting and I am not bored because I maintain NGO/non-profit status in the US and can connect with the world on high-speed internet across from the rice fields. I grew up in a golfing family. Golf is nice but I'll pass.

Edited by JLCrab

I have lived in the south of Thai 2 years (krabi), lived in Surin which is lower northeast Thai, now Bangkok close to lumpini park and Chiltom BTS, over the 6 years I lost 70 pounds. I am healthier, met a nice Doctor lady with a good family from bangkok. I was lucky to retire at 45. Lived in Mexico Belize and even spent a time in Cuba. Then came to Thailand in 09' now I feel somewhat unhappy. Found a nice piece of land south of Hua Hin on the sea. Want to move there and just enjoy. But it is not cheap land and with the whole can't own land and raising cost. I have also wondered if leaving Thailand isn't a option. Go slow and follow some of the advice try a few places. Just keep it simple and sleep well knowing tomorrow you can try something new. When you do decide take a few years before you set angkor.

Cheers.

What is it about 3rd world countries that attract you even for short visits?

Oh, occasionally I enjoy seeing Trafalgar Square or the Tower of London. It's become a really good place to see burkas and head turbans.

Good reply even if lacking in sincerity..

Can't understand why you would want to leave the USA,

Unless it's for cheap women.

And at your age, I'd give them a miss.

Cheap hookers as a holiday treat ...... no problem.

But as a lifestyle it sucks.

I thought cheap hookers as available as a cold beer had some merit.

It seems to be a real basis on from which many think the nation is fantastic. However when one factors in the social ramifications of a rather large industry completely underground, paying no taxes and with workers marginalized as criminals, it becomes another reason to not choose Thailand.

I doubt the majority of expats are worried about the social ramifications of available women in Thailand.

If you can afford it how about Singapore?

No thanks! I would never want to live in a nation that places so little value on human life that it would hang someone for smuggling a little over a kilo of cannabis. A nation as such is uncivilized and would be outright scary to live in-------and I do NOT do drugs.

Thailand likely has much worse air quality...pollution into your lungs, more allergies, probably take a few years off your life. The language is harder, and future has more risks.....

But I think people friendlier in Thailand, easier to escape to a "less worse" country, and bigger country is better....

I would first look at Switzerland. Then Austria.......

spent one year in Thailand......air was too bad. heat was too bad. I am sure it will take years off your life, but might be worth it.

just put me in the will!!!!!

I was in the same situation as you costa or Thailand ?

I spent much time in both countries.

I wanted to find a mate I liked the women in Thailand so I gave myself a year to find someone.

I got very lucky. I wish you good luck in your search for happiness.

Apart from the high prices Singapore isn't a bad place. Clean, efficient, very good food of all types. But also rather boring, and extremely hot'n'humid, and with a very strict government. So probably better for a weekend than for life. I think that I would prefer to live in Malaysia (the highland climate is very pleasant) and visit Singapore from time to time.

I dont know about long-term visa/residency arrangements in Singapore.

Apart from the high prices Singapore isn't a bad place. Clean, efficient, very good food of all types. But also rather boring, and extremely hot'n'humid, and with a very strict government. So probably better for a weekend than for life. I think that I would prefer to live in Malaysia (the highland climate is very pleasant) and visit Singapore from time to time.

I dont know about long-term visa/residency arrangements in Singapore.

Too many Muzzies...