Registering/Riding a Cambodian Bike in Thailand

ljd1308

Hi All,

I am looking for a bit of advice and have searched but all the threads seem a few years old and new info could be available.

I am looking to buy a new bike and the prices in Cambodia seem alot cheaper, for example I found a 2014 CBR600rr for $3000usd. If anyone can confirm they are cheaper there that would be great? Not sure how trusted the source I found it on is.

I have also read that you can get a temporary bike visa that can be extended up to 6 months for a foreign registered bike. As I am on an "O" visa I have to leave the country every 3 months anyway. Is there anything to stop me buying a bike in Cambodia and registering it there, only to bring it to Thailand using a bike visa and ride it back to Cambodia every 3 months only to re-enter on a new bike visa a few days later?

Eventually, would it then be possible to register it in Thailand? I understand an emissions test costing around 100k would need to be done, but even if that was the case the bike would only be costing me around 200k baht which would be a good deal.

You will have no luck getting it registered in Thailand. Altho people keep the Khmer registration, and leave every 6 months and re-import as you stated. How long this will be tolerated ? Who knows. There was a KTM690 for sale late last year in this situation, owner even offered to fly to Phnom Penh and change the registration into the buyers name. BUT - if the Thai authorities see you doing this with regularity, and take a shine to your ride, you will lose it. And getting insurance in Thailand for a Cambodian registered bike - doubtful.

Edited by canthai55

You will have no luck getting it registered in Thailand. Altho people keep the Khmer registration, and leave every 6 months and re-import as you stated. How long this will be tolerated ? Who knows. There was a KTM690 for sale late last year in this situation, owner even offered to fly to Phnom Penh and change the registration into the buyers name. BUT - if the Thai authorities see you doing this with regularity, and take a shine to your ride, you will lose it. And getting insurance in Thailand for a Cambodian registered bike - doubtful.

Thanks for the response. So no chance at all of eventually getting it registered?

I guess it is similar to the tourist visa then, there is always a chance of getting knocked back......

It might be worth trying if I can find a really cheap bike and risk losing it....a bit to think about.

Thanks