Non Immigrant O type visa conversion

Hey guys,

Can't seem to find the answer to my question after searching around here, hence the new topic. I am currently living in Thailand on an Extension of Stay based on retirement (Australian). My Aussie wife recently obtained a Non Immigrant O visa in Australia which is valid for 3 months (expires 27th Feb). This was obtained on the grounds that she would be my dependent whilst living here in Thailand. We are now both back living in Hua Hin.

Just wondering what the process is for her to change this over to a dependent type situation. Obviously it will require a visit to our local Immigration Office, but just wondering about the whole process, including what forms etc are required and cost involved. I'm under the impression that once this is done, she will then just be in sync with my Extension of Stay which is valid until late Sept 2016.

And just further to this, will she to be able to apply for a Multi Entry Permit at the same time? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would say just pop along and ask them for local requirements.

Proof of marriage plus 1,900 baht fee.

TM7 Application form. Passport size photo.

Re Entry Permit can be got for a fee of 1,000 Baht single and 3,800 Baht multi

Edited by Eclipse

Thanks Eclipse. Tried the 'pop along and ask them' before regarding other matters, and probably walked away from there more confused than when I went. The old lost in translation scenario. But I hear you.

Thanks for the advice also. Can you also advise exactly what sort of visa she would be applying for when filling out the TM7, or is it just an extension of her current Non O? Thanks.

• Like 1

2.20 In the case of being a family member of an alien permitted a
temporary stay in the Kingdom under Criteria 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6,
2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13, 2.14, 2.15, 2.16,
2.17, 2.21, 2.22, 2.26, or 2.29 hereof or Section 34(1) (2) and (7) including family of alien granted non-immigration visa which contains “A” letter at the end of visa code, (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children) except for Non-Immigrant code L-A:
Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(1) The alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2) Must have proof of relationship.
(3) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto:

1. Application form
2. Copy of applicant’s passport
3. Copy of the passport of the alien who has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom
4. Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate,
registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration
certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency

Edited by Eclipse

• Yes your wife's extension will be synced with yours.

Yes, once the extension of stay has been granted, she can apply for a re-entry permit which will be valid for the duration of her permit to stay. It will depend on the office as to whether she needs to join a new queue to get the re-entry permit. It can also be applied for any day after and at the airport on exit.

You cannot extend visas, they are just used/required for entry in to the country. You and your wife have/are extending the stay granted on entry. The initial visa is used/redundant after that.

Form TM7 is an application for extension of temporary stay (not a visa) and asks for the reason for the extension, which would be "being the spouse of an alien permitted a temporary stay" or something along those lines. The extension is granted based on your marriage not dependency.

• Like 1

Thanks elviajero for clarifying all the terminology. Always helps when you attend Immigration and that you know what you are talking about right from the get go. It all makes sense to us all now. Cheers.

• Like 2

And just a follow up question with regards to the wife's application. Can she apply anytime for the conversion before her Non O expires? The reason i ask this is, is that we have to go into Immigration in a few days as my son has to extend his Tourist Visa for another 30 days so I was thinking it may be possible to knock over the wife's application at the same time to save a 2nd trip, but her Non O Visa doesn't expire until the 27th Feb, which is still some time away. Thanks.

And just a follow up question with regards to the wife's application. Can she apply anytime for the conversion before her Non O expires? The reason i ask this is, is that we have to go into Immigration in a few days as my son has to extend his Tourist Visa for another 30 days so I was thinking it may be possible to knock over the wife's application at the same time to save a 2nd trip, but her Non O Visa doesn't expire until the 27th Feb, which is still some time away. Thanks.

When you say her visa expires on Feb 27th do you mean the 'enter before' date printed on the visa (visa expiry) or the 'admitted until' date stamped in her passport (permission to stay?. Because it is the 'admitted until' date that counts and the date to count back 30/45 days from to do the extension of stay.

• Like 1

It is the admitted until date, so we'll work off that date, 30/45 days before then. Hua Hin are pretty friendly so if we turn up with her application on the day we do our son's extension, they may just accept it. If not, then so be it. Thanks for the help guys.

• 1 month later...

And just so you know how the wife's application panned out, we attended our local Immigration Office with all of our paperwork, but the application was declined as we didn't have our original Marriage certificate. We actually lost this a few years back but we had a few certified copies of it (from a Justice of the Peace in Oz) which we've used for various applications etc. Told we would have to go to the Aussie Embassy in BKK and arrange correct certification. But they did offer to process the application then and there for an extra 2,000 baht. Wife a bit peeved with the sudden reversal for a price, and as we are moving to Vietnam next month, she decided against their generous offer. She is now over in Vietnam with our son who had to leave the country anyway. They will both return on 30 day visa exempt entries, where we will then leave LOS within that 30 days. The reason for her application was just as a bit of insurance in case we decided we didn't like Vietnam and wanted to return before my Extension expired. Thanks for the help anyway guys. Cheers.

• Like 1