How Do They Know Who I Am

Woodaaa

Hi

I have been playing chess for free on www.instantchess.com for a while now.

the otherday they must have upgraded and are now counting down the number of games i can play before i have to subscribe to play.

My question is how are they keeping track of the number of games i am playing?

I ve logged on from different connections, changed my nickname, i use cc cleaner to wipe my history cookies and all the tempory and .dat files from my computer yet they still know how many games iv played HOW??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Your modem has a unique MAC address which they can probably see.

I can see your ip address and know you are connected through

netname: EIRCOM

descr: eircom Ltd

descr: IP network infrastructure

descr: Ireland.

Scary, isn't it.

Products like Total Net Shield allow you to mask your identity behind a proxy server.

There are a number of ways of doing this, at the broadest, all IP addresses can be identified back to a parent group. Since all groups are issued to entities, the Whois database will provide the type of data above. There are also programs designed to do this with a few clicks.

In the US for example, it is still common to find an ID such as john_smith_pp1-xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx..proc.net.com which not only gives you country, Internet provider but the users name on the computer.

Regards

Hey thanks for the replies

"Does that site use flash? Flash can also use cookies stored in a diffent place. Right-click on the flash thing and reduce the amoun it can store to zero. Then those cookies will be gone too!"

Yes it does. where exactly is the flash thing? if i do reduce it to zero will that effect my viewing of say youtube and other flash sites. i really dont want to ave to pay to play, im cheap charlie

hey astral yeah i know all that info is visible it doesnt bother me im not that paranoid really dont think everyone is out to get me!!! although if i were to look at adult sites id usually use a online proxy server but then the proxy server guys can c that info and do what they want with it!!! most of them would probably use your info more than any of the sites you would visit. 6-1 half dozen to the other i suppose not unless you know of a super one that dont keep any info?

Hey thanks for the replies

"Does that site use flash? Flash can also use cookies stored in a diffent place. Right-click on the flash thing and reduce the amoun it can store to zero. Then those cookies will be gone too!"

Yes it does. where exactly is the flash thing? if i do reduce it to zero will that effect my viewing of say youtube and other flash sites. i really dont want to ave to pay to play, im cheap charlie

hey astral yeah i know all that info is visible it doesnt bother me im not that paranoid really dont think everyone is out to get me!!! although if i were to look at adult sites id usually use a online proxy server but then the proxy server guys can c that info and do what they want with it!!! most of them would probably use your info more than any of the sites you would visit. 6-1 half dozen to the other i suppose not unless you know of a super one that dont keep any info?

Or play on freechess for free using babaschess against thousands of player ... Both are free of charge ...

Edited by Deksan

Yes, as moderator I can see your IP address without any effort,

and I then looked it up in WHOIS.

However any script kiddie could do the same.

This is the way web sites know which browser you are using, and your

default mail address.

So now you know why you get so much spam mail. :o

PS my ip address at the moment is 207.67.145.171

Go to nic.com and look it up.

It will tell you I am in the USA............

but I am really in SE Asia.

default mail address.

I think that it is inappropriate that a Moderator uses confidential information about a member (IP address), and then uses it to obtain and reveal in a public forum even more personal information about a member. Surely this is against the rules here?

default mail address.

I think that it is inappropriate that a Moderator uses confidential information about a member (IP address), and then uses it to obtain and reveal in a public forum even more personal information about a member. Surely this is against the rules here?

Anyone can do it - not just limited to moderators. Just insert an image of your choice in a message (PM), forum message, or as your avatar and you can start collecting info...