Pixlr Editor: Why You Shouldn’t Watermark Your Photos (Plus a Template to Help You Do It)

Pixlr Editor: Why You Shouldn’t Watermark Your Photos (Plus a Template to Help You Do It)

It’s a simple enough question, and one we hear a lot: How can I watermark a photo?

Although there’s no sure-fire way to stop people from stealing your photography on the Internet (or words for that matter), it’s your prerogative if you want to include watermarks. But before you do, be aware that some people have strong feelings about this practice (maybe you do, too). At the risk of angering any hard-core watermarking enthusiasts, here are some of the hotly contested arguments for and against watermarking.

Watermarks ruin the viewing experience

There’s really no denying this is true. A picture that’s worth a thousand words can look downright cheap with “Copyright Claire Quilty” plastered on top of the most beautiful part of the image. Blech.

Watermarks make my photos look more professional. Right?

They may actually do the opposite. While they make you feel more professional, poorly conceived or designed watermarks can make you look like a total amateur. (Make sure you choose a classy font and not Comic Sans.) One thing’s for sure: Watermarks insert an extra layer of the commercial into your work, and it can be hard to know how people will react to that. If you’re comfortable with that, then you probably have no qualms about plastering your photos with watermarks. But how many people have you met who actually make money this way? More often than not, successful photographers find clients by referral, not by random searches on the Internet. That said, there’s no denying watermarks offer a way for you to brand your work if that’s important. But keep in mind that the most renowned photographers don’t seem to need watermarks; their style often speaks for itself.

More from full article here - pixlr.com

I'm not a fan of photographers who ruin their photos with watermarks running right through the middle of their photos. If anything I challenges me to remove their watermarks for my own pleasure. I understand they want to make some money off their work and should but using too many watermarks instead of offering a low resolution alternative puts people off. As they say "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar".

As you've stated, a nice discreet watermark will bring people to view more of your work but "in your face" watermarking is off putting to many potential customers.

Archived