Thailand introduces new laws to tackle animal cruelty

webfact

What worries me the most is what about the stray dogs that come on my farm and kill my piglets or calf. The only way to stop it here is to poison them with food near the pen. I have yet to do this but I'm sure I will be forced to in the future because they already killed my first lot of piglets I bought. They only lasted 2 nights. I can't seek reimbursement from the apparent owners because they don't claim ownership. However, should I kill one of the dogs I am certain they will change their tune if they see a chance to demand compensation from me.

That is abhorrent behaviour and you should be punished accordingly.

What behavior? Can you not understand english? Or are you just being sarcastic?

Having a go at my English skills are you now, Mr American? Let's just say that if they were my dogs you poisoned, you murderer, you would not see the next light of day.

Edited by CoreanoOzzie

What worries me the most is what about the stray dogs that come on my farm and kill my piglets or calf. The only way to stop it here is to poison them with food near the pen. I have yet to do this but I'm sure I will be forced to in the future because they already killed my first lot of piglets I bought. They only lasted 2 nights. I can't seek reimbursement from the apparent owners because they don't claim ownership. However, should I kill one of the dogs I am certain they will change their tune if they see a chance to demand compensation from me.

That is abhorrent behaviour and you should be punished accordingly.

What behavior? Can you not understand english? Or are you just being sarcastic?

Having a go at my English skills are you now, Mr American? Let's just say that if they were my dogs you poisoned, you murderer, you would not see the next light of day.

So in your view it's OK if your dogs kill piglets on someone else's property?

Oh great, it's going to be even harder now to find a vet to humanely put down a sick animal.

Surely if the animal is in pain could threaten them with animal cruelty if they won't humanely put it down

nope I had huge difficulty finding a compassionate vet to humanely put a cat down and they cited Buddhism which, clearly, they do not understand

Thailand is in the Dark Ages when it come to animal welfare

There are some Thai Vets who will euthanize, while many will not on religious/ ethical grounds. However, even they will only do it if they are convinced that there is no reasonable chance of recovery and no "quality of life" for the animal.

This is inconvenient for some people from the West where most vets will euthanize an animal at the request of the owner, sometimes for for the most banal reasons, like "I can't keep the dog because I am moving to a smaller place" etc..

If you need a referral in Chiangmai, Bangkok or Phuket for a compassionate yet pragmatic Vet, just PM me.

Edited by fstarbkk

Hopefully poisoning peoples dogs will be covered within the law. You sound like a completely incompetent excuse of a farmer. Tell me, what is your excuse for failing to secure your young livestock from dog attacks and instead resorting to using poison? Laziness, ignorance, lack of finances for a fence?

Hehee you presume as well as assume too much. The past livestock was bought by me and taken care of by my Thai family and hence killed on their property by local dogs.

Well, if you are to describe them as "my piglets" on "my farm" then you will seem just a little odd accusing me of being presumptuous for thinking they are yours, lol, so are they yours and on your farm like you said first or are they theirs on their farm like you now claim?

Anyway, your current excuse is that after buying the animals you simply walked away and let someone else "take care" of them? I'm afraid that is not how responsibility works in the real world.

Yeah right!!! It reminds me when the tassaban pest control came to the school where I taught a few years back to tranquilise the 8-10 stray dogs that had became residents. They performed the act during lunch time while all the kid's from 3-17 years old were playing in the grounds!!!!!!! The darts were far too strong killing the dogs dead, the puppies were crying for their dead mothers. The so called marks men were walking around like big game hunters, missing three out of four shots and not recovering the darts! (Left for the kids to play with unless I and my colleagues found them). Small kid's were in distress and all the kids were lucky they didn't get caught in the cross fire! It has to be a special kind of stupid not to come on a saturday with some bones and scraps and a van!! Tease the dogs with the scraps and throw the bones in the back of the van and close the doors while the dogs are choosing and fighting over the bones!!!!! Animal rights and children safety my arse! not in this country......

Yeah right!!! It reminds me when the tassaban pest control came to the school where I taught a few years back to tranquilise the 8-10 stray dogs that had became residents. They performed the act during lunch time while all the kid's from 3-17 years old were playing in the grounds!!!!!!! The darts were far too strong killing the dogs dead, the puppies were crying for their dead mothers. The so called marks men were walking around like big game hunters, missing three out of four shots and not recovering the darts! (Left for the kids to play with unless I and my colleagues found them). Small kid's were in distress and all the kids were lucky they didn't get caught in the cross fire! It has to be a special kind of stupid not to come on a saturday with some bones and scraps and a van!! Tease the dogs with the scraps and throw the bones in the back of the van and close the doors while the dogs are choosing and fighting over the bones!!!!! Animal rights and children safety my arse! not in this country......

So it would be better if those kids found daddy or uncle Somchai dead on the road because he drove his motocy into a soidog?

So it would be better if those kids found daddy or uncle Somchai dead on the road because he drove his motocy into a soidog?

Hopefully. Yes coffee1.gif

No, obviously it isn't but there is no excuse to poison soi dogs or any other animal. Are you condoning that because it seems like you are? Wouldn't the simpler and humane solution be to erect some sort of barrier so that the soi dogs cannot access the piglets?

Edited by CoreanoOzzie

Oh great, it's going to be even harder now to find a vet to humanely put down a sick animal.

Surely if the animal is in pain could threaten them with animal cruelty if they won't humanely put it down

nope I had huge difficulty finding a compassionate vet to humanely put a cat down and they cited Buddhism which, clearly, they do not understand

Thailand is in the Dark Ages when it come to animal welfare

There are some Thai Vets who will euthanize, while many will not on religious/ ethical grounds. However, even they will only do it if they are convinced that there is no reasonable chance of recovery and no "quality of life" for the animal.

This is inconvenient for some people from the West where most vets will euthanize an animal at the request of the owner, sometimes for for the most banal reasons, like "I can't keep the dog because I am moving to a smaller place" etc..

If you need a referral in Chiangmai, Bangkok or Phuket for a compassionate yet pragmatic Vet, just PM me.

All vets on Phuket will euthanise a suffering pet. Those who disparage Phuket as 'not being Thailand', GOOD! That's why I live HERE and not amongst the peasantry of that which constitutes the overwhelming majority of the rest of the country.

interesting replies. I know it is normal practice here to kill a dog if it goes on a field if rice is growing or if a dog bothers live stock. this is done by the owners or farmers. I may add that I have never seen a dog going into a rice paddy but walk round the outside, so they know what will happen. it also seems to be open season on baiting cats. all I know is if a dog affected my lively hood I would kill it.

No, obviously it isn't but there is no excuse to poison soi dogs or any other animal. Are you condoning that because it seems like you are? Wouldn't the simpler and humane solution be to erect some sort of barrier so that the soi dogs cannot access the piglets?

In my opinion the one who feeds the dogs is responsible for their acts. On public roads and on other owners property, simply everywhere.

I got bitten by a dog some weeks ago while i was in the owners shop. Treatment in the hospital in BKK (5 times injection) cost 10.000 baht which the owner wouldn't pay.

If i drive my motocy in a soidog / dog with owner who just lets it run free on the roads then who's gonna pay for the hospital, damage on my motocy and loss of income?? And what if i die from that accident?? Do i have to build a fence around my motocy to protect me against other people's dogs?

A humane solution would be to catch all dogs on the roads and bring them to an abandoned island and feed them loads of meat there so they're not hungry.

The owners of the dogs will pay for that...

Or do we also have to build cages around our children/lady's so the straydogs can't bite them when they go out for a walk? They have rabies in case you didn't know and they also can climb fences. They even ate my leather slippers in MY garden while the big fence was closed...i live in a nice moobaan.

I love dogs but i dislike soidogs and hope thailand gets rid of them soon. Also i don't like people who feed soidogs. We have a hi-so lady in our area with a very big car who drives around every day and feeds all dogs everywyere.

Soi dogs are a menace and in the name of humanity should be put down ( i don't give flying fig about buddhism)

And yes i have 3 wonderful dogs I TAKE CARE OF!!

yes they are an utter menace but should be caught and destroyed humanely and I DO give a fig about Buddhism and the core of it is COMPASSION not sentimentality

Thailand would like to shake of the third world status but it will take more than a few ungoverned punitive laws regarding animal welfare to do that Thais general attitude and lack of respect in Thailand towards other people and this loosing face attitude has to go and it will take at least a generation to get this attitude out of the Thai culture

As Thai parents don’t seem to care what their children grow up to become, with all these young males cutting wives and girlfriends throats or setting fire to them when they want out of an abusive relationship, and animals care is well of the list of things to bother with.

Thailand would like to shake of the third world status but it will take more than a few ungoverned punitive laws regarding animal welfare to do that Thais general attitude and lack of respect in Thailand towards other people and this loosing face attitude has to go and it will take at least a generation to get this attitude out of the Thai culture

As Thai parents don’t seem to care what their children grow up to become, with all these young males cutting wives and girlfriends throats or setting fire to them when they want out of an abusive relationship, and animals care is well of the list of things to bother with.

Most Thais care about animals, it's part of Buddhist teachings. Also, Thailand isn't 3rd world, I would say it's a developing nation.

Edited by CoreanoOzzie

Start with the local authorities who let dogs wander the streets and beaches with terrible diseases. Lots have no fur and are suffering from sunburn. Some have serious injuries from road accidents.

Surely in the name of pity they should be rounded up and humanely put down.

Or taken to a shelter or vet as we have on Phuket and treated for their 'various illnesses'. As I did my now perfectly healthy but once emaciated hairless scabied cat. Too civilised? Humane?

Edited by dageurreotype

Far too sensible. Is the poster Thai? Hard to tell the difference with many on this forum these days coffee1.gif