Transport - Ratchaphruk

Joon

What's stopping anyone from just driving there? There's a map on their site now. (www.royalfloraexpo.com)

Interesting.

There has been a lot of work put into the 'expo' and I do hope that they are blessed by crowds of people.

I hope that they have better toilet facilities (leastaways, more of them that at the expo in Kunming in 1999)

Their "main sponsor" Singha, will have to be removed from the web site won't it (with the ban on alcohol advertising come early December. :o )

I've been told that one can "only" get to the Royal Flora/Ratchaphruk by public transport.

Can anyone point me to info on this? Pick up points, routes?

Thanks!

I've seen signs on the superhwy coming from Lamphun for car parking at Kad Choeng Doi nr CMU for the expo, I guess with shuttle buses to the site. May be they're expecting such massive crowds that existing parking on site will be insufficient.

Here is a preview of a news item coming out in Citylife next week:

Royal Flora Exposition Traffic Control

Several new traffic rules have been set by the Chiang Mai traffic police department to tackle possible traffic congestion near the site of the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek exposition. “The exposition lacks parking space: its committee expects to see up to 30,000 visitors each day but its current parking capacity is for 2,000 vehicles only,” explained Somboon Chaisiriniran, the head of the Chiang Mai Provincial Rural Roads Office. He further explained that prior to the cabinet dissolution the office suggested a building for more parking but it was rejected due to budget shortage.

The traffic police has therefoer launched new rules to promote the smooth flow of traffic around the site. Some of the rules include prohibition of personal vehicles into the site, disallowing the parking of cars along the Ratchaphruek Road, the road to Doi Kham temple, the Irrigation Canal Road starting from the front of the Emperor Houses to the entrance of Nong Kwai Temple and the road to the Night Safari. Only tour buses, mass transit buses and songtaew are allowed to park at the site’s car parks.

People are being encouraged to use mass transportation to get to the site. There are various transportations to the site provided at various locations to serve all visitors. Free-of-charge chartered buses are provided by the Land Transportation Office from the 700 Year Stadium, the City Hall and the train station to the exposition site. The municipal buses were earlier launched on two new routes to link the train station and the Arcade Bus Station to the site. The bus will charge adults B15 and children B10. 400 red songtaew will also provide services from all department stores, hypermarts, Mee Chok Plaza, Global House, Choeng Doi Market, Kad Farang and North University to the site at B20-25 each.

From todays Bangkok Post:

Chiang Mai residents are likely to suffer severe traffic jams when the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek Expo 2006 begins next week as traffic police have estimated that the number of vehicles on the city's streets will surge to three million.

This northern city currently has to deal with around one million cars, which lead to regular traffic gridlock, but police have warned that the situation will worsen over the next three months.

"The number of cars in Chiang Mai city is expected to increase threefold above normal levels. We are working out traffic management plans to ensure that the event causes minimal impact to local commuters," said Attakij Kornthong, deputy commander of Chiang Mai Police.

So, they're expecting 30,000 visitors & an extra 2 million vehicles per day.......

Gonzo

You can buy passes at Airport Plaza now. There's a counter close to Starbuck's. Bt 100 per day, or Bt 400 for a multi-entry pass.

These are half-price rates. I thought I understood that the discount was good only until opening day, but recently saw something that said the full price is in effect only at the gate. So maybe you can still buy at half price in town after they open? Sorry that my info is unclear on that.

Has anyone seen or can they report on the admission prices.....

I understand that there is too be a dual tier pricing......

Anyone know what the admission actually will be>>>>>??????

My wife enquired yesterday about season tickets. 400 now, or 800 at the venue.. She's Thai so that's what they are charging everyone..or so i believe..Let's hope so..

I visted their web page and as there was a place there for FAQ's I wrote (five days ago) and asked that very question.

Yes you have quessed right, there has been no reply "TIT"

I am sure that they are going to have a very successful expo if they ignore every inquiry that they get.

What with the fact that they have insufficient parking and also that they cannot tell us the price of admission I might just give them a very big miss.

It is all become just a bit too difficult :o

I visted their web page and as there was a place there for FAQ's I wrote (five days ago) and asked that very question.

Yes you have quessed right, there has been no reply "TIT"

I am sure that they are going to have a very successful expo if they ignore every inquiry that they get.

What with the fact that they have insufficient parking and also that they cannot tell us the price of admission I might just give them a very big miss.

It is all become just a bit too difficult :o

80% - 90% of websites i have asked questions on have come back with no answers. TIT - u bet. but hey i aint gonna miss this wonderful event. come back and see how i can improve my garden at home :D

I've been told that one can "only" get to the Royal Flora/Ratchaphruk by public transport.

Thanks!

Royal Flora Shuttle (Free)

1N route 700 years complex

2N route Central Government House

3C route Near Railway Station

08:00-21:00 Every 10 min. timed to arrive 30 min.

---------------------------------------------

City Express

No.11 route - Bus Terminal - Tha phae gate - Airport - Ratchaphruk

No.13 route - Railway Station - Tha phae gate - Ratchaphruk

Depart 06:00-20:00 Return 07:30-21:00 THB 15/Person

-----------------------------------------------------

Airport Express

08:00-21:00 Every 30 min. THB 40/Person THB 300/Car

Hotel Express

Stopover 44 Hotel

bmap2.gif

Thanks!

Royal Flora Shuttle (Free)

1N route 700 years complex

2N route Central Government House

3C route Near Railway Station

08:00-21:00 Every 10 min. timed to arrive 30 min.

---------------------------------------------

City Express

No.11 route - Bus Terminal - Tha phae gate - Airport - Ratchaphruk

No.13 route - Railway Station - Tha phae gate - Ratchaphruk

Depart 06:00-20:00 Return 07:30-21:00 THB 15/Person

Airport Express

Hotel Express

Stopover 44 Hotel

bmap2.gif

RFR2.gif

We just got there and back, by songtaew from the market near Kad Choeng Doi (corner of canal road and Suthep Road) for 25 baht each way, right to the entrance gate. We're using our 400 baht season passes.

Great show, but mid-day was too hot. Huge venue, lots of walking, and there's a tram you can ride for a reasonable price.

Busmap.gif

Good Post Somjit

Very interesting map though, once you figure it out though its a little clearer.... Most maps are drawn with the top being North...... this one is drawn with the top being West..

If you use the river as a point of reference, its on the bottom of the map running left to right, I think.

If you use with another local map , best to turn one of them 90 deg.

Thanks!

Hi, here's the 'elusive' webpage (not exactly titled/categorized correctly) with details

on the various public transport pickup points (include standard pricing too).

http://royalfloraexpo.com/visitor_information/17parking.asp

Where exactly are these pickup points, some might not be clearly labelled with signs

or directions to them. Eg. I took the one from Kad Suan Kaew (KSK) & it was actually

tucked near the back/side of KSK parking lot, across the overhead bridge. You'll need

to ask the red tuk tuk drivers. Just remember to quote the standard fares as listed on

the webpage.

---

Folks, is it still possible to get the half priced tickets in the city & where?

Cheers! :o

We got ours a couple of months ago at the Krung Thai Bank on Chang Klan Rd. According to the web site, all branches of Krung Thai are still selling tickets.

On the subject of parking on the grounds or near the entrance, I was still getting conflicting reports. We rode our bike there and paid 20 baht, at the last soi to the left, before the turnoff for the Night Safari, by the Kasinkorn bank mobile ATM van. It added 500 meters to our walk, but was worth it. Not sure what they charge for cars, but cars could be parked at the same place. Probably more car parks closer to the canal road, too.

Was up there today- parked on left just before 'Elephant' roundabout- somewhere near Peace Blondie probably! ! 50B per car then 5B red songtow to main entrance and 5B back (have gammy leg!). Well worth a visit but gets too hot after midday. Loads of school groups but it was a "Free Ticket Day"

Fosa

The fact is the river does not feature in the bus map!

And the map is actually drawn showing North to the top ( Unlike the silly street maps around town that keep turning depending on where you are and then you need to be a basketball player to read it! )

Quite amazing map really, shame more folks do not get to see it on the road side.

Ally

Good Post Somjit

Very interesting map though, once you figure it out though its a little clearer.... Most maps are drawn with the top being North...... this one is drawn with the top being West..

If you use the river as a point of reference, its on the bottom of the map running left to right, I think.

The fact is the river does not feature in the bus map!

And the map is actually drawn showing North to the top ( Unlike the silly street maps around town that keep turning depending on where you are and then you need to be a basketball player to read it! )

Quite amazing map really, shame more folks do not get to see it on the road side.

Ally

Good Post Somjit

Have it your way,,,,,, now the map has North on the top...... the other was just printed sideways.....

Edited by Gonzo the Face