Is anyone using www.khanacademy.org for their homeschooling?

My almost 9 year old American Boy is going to finish this school year here on the East Coast of America before heading to Thailand. I have zero intention to subject my son to a Thai School and cannot afford the high cost of a private school. http://www.khanacademy.org was suggested by someone and the little bit we have seen of it, has been good. My son watched a few explanations of fractions which we both found helpful.

I'm hoping someone who is using it as a full curriculum will offer some commentary.

Yes. Children like the Maths. As they are Brit not american they use a whole lot of other UK curriculum websites including the adult BBC and Open University ones. If you can get a small group together that would be good. Thai schools don't teach math the same way! Well, in so far as they teach anything except "How to be Thai 101" Good luck

I had loads of fun retesting my skills through the Khan Academy. It's great fun and gives kids and adults a good education. It tests your knowledge, if you don't know, you can watch a few videos then you get tested on what you learnt and then later you can try to show off and get even better ratings.

It's pretty educationally fun in my opinion. Wouldn't know how to rate it as a curriculum as I am unaware of what your curriculum needs, and it might be different.

Edited by chenposeb

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using conquer maths for the last 5 years with my children and absolutely swear by it.
If you e mail them you can get a homeschooling rate as we currently home school in the uk and will continue home schooling in Thailand when we make the move.
Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

my son is lying SOB, sweet and caring yet lazy like dead donkey

since KG-2 BS'ed me about teachers, no home-works, lost books and "cheating" teachers again who falsed / forged (?) exams.

Changed a school, at G3 moved to another school. Same sh*t. Nothing learned and really stubborn.

Desperate, I'm freakin' desperate

positive reinforcement didn't work

story and life examples of useless bums sleeping in cardboards - no results

negative - cut all toys and idiot widgets - same-same. Nothing changed

me feel desperate

since KG-2 BS'ed me about teachers, no home-works, lost books and "cheating" teachers again who falsed / forged (?) exams.

Changed a school, at G3 moved to another school. Same sh*t. Nothing learned and really stubborn.

me feel desperate

I don't see where you offered your son a bribe. It works for the Thais, maybe it will work for you.

me feel desperate

What you describe seems tragically all too familiar. I really believe this is the real effect of the school system on many young students. It puts them off education at a very early age and what they learn is how to be evasive, do no work and waste time. In fairness many of these poor kids are chained to a desk in a formal school setting from pre-kindergarten and four years later when they 'graduate' into Prathom, ( in full graduation regalia) they are totally switched off and really do not know how to behave in school. You need to continue with the positive re-inforcement, build a real relationship with this little person, show him the way and whatever you do, don't blame him for this situation. You're going to have to be patient with the little boy. If he's in the G3 - G6 age range then he is entering a key period of development and unless he has a specific medical 'condition' which affects his learning, he can turn it around. Kids at this age if they have real confidence, (the kind that comes from strong relationships with you and the other family members), can do remarkable things.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Some friends and I use Acellus Academy. It's online and accredited, 30 bucks a month.

www.acellusacademy.com/

I like that they offer courses that are not common core.

• 2 months later...

you can also use patrickJMT (primary student to graduate :D) or  exam solutions (alevel, igcse, ib..)  they are both free. You could find useful stuff in alevel, igcse or ib maths as the beginning of these courses would sometimes cover the materials that a 9 year old might be learning. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2016 at 9:41 PM, Kailung said:

you can also use patrickJMT (primary student to graduate :D) or  exam solutions (alevel, igcse, ib..)  they are both free. You could find useful stuff in alevel, igcse or ib maths as the beginning of these courses would sometimes cover the materials that a 9 year old might be learning. 

I'm not familiar with "patrickJMT."  What is it, and where does one find it.  I like free.

On 4/7/2016 at 6:50 PM, NativeBob said:

me feel desperate

Fair, firm and consistent.

• 1 month later...