Compressed “dllcache” Slowed My Computer?

Daffy D

HI

The last few weeks I have noticed my computer seemed to have slowed down. I say seemed to as it’s difficult to pinpoint without a stopwatch but certainly got that feeling.

I followed all the usual advice and hints and tips to get rid of rubbish and leftover bits of files to get back up to speed but nothing seemed to make any difference.

Recently I was browsing through my files (right click START EXPLORE) and noticed in “C:\WINDOWS\system32” a folder “dllcache” with the name in blue.

I read somewhere, on this forum I think, blue indicated a compressed file. I checked the “Properties” “Advanced” and sure enough the folder was compressed.

I have more than enough disc space so have never had the need to compress anything so have no idea how this folder got compressed.

I did a quick “Google” and found that Windows accessed “dllcache” every time to check files are the original and have not been modified by some other program.

If Windows has to un-compress each file every time this would sure slow the computer down. So I uncompressed the folder and I am sure my computer is back up to speed.

Perhaps this information may be of use to someone or someone a bit more technical can tell me it’s all in my mind and I should not have done the de-compression. :o

D.D.

Perhaps this information may be of use to someone or someone a bit more technical can tell me it’s all in my mind and I should not have done the de-compression. :o

That folder is normally a hidden folder and also normally compressed. Obviously you have set views to allow viewing protected hidden system files, not normally a good idea. The files in there are generally very small and the decompression to memory will be unnoticeable. So suspect if you 'feel' the system is faster, it's probably just a placebo effect. :D

That folder is normally a hidden folder and also normally compressed. Obviously you have set views to allow viewing protected hidden system files, not normally a good idea. The files in there are generally very small and the decompression to memory will be unnoticeable. So suspect if you 'feel' the system is faster, it's probably just a placebo effect. :D

Hi

Yea! OK! I checked and “dllcache” is not a hidden folder, and you are right it contains a lot of files over 3000.

Anyway placebo or not it works for me. :D

D.D.