New Passport

Got a quick question. Am I required to transfer my permission to stay stamp(60 day single entry TV) from my old passport to my new passport or can I just carry both passports? I'm just trying to figure out if I really need to travel from the American Embassy to Chaeng Wattana on Monday morning after the Songkran holiday.

Edited by ThaiRich

They will transfer the stamp for you at the airport. Do not cut things too fine as it may take a few minutes.

What about at a land border crossing? Same thing they will transfer it for me?

Edited by ThaiRich

They will transfer the stamp for you at the airport. Do not cut things too fine as it may take a few minutes.

What about at a land border crossing? Same thing they will transfer it for me?

Yes. It will be done at whichever border you exit from.

• Like 1

Is this the same for re-entering Thailand?

I have a brand new passport with my retirement extension and multiple re-entry permit in the old one.

I seem to remember reading that I could just take then both down to immigration to have transferred.

Yes. Just show both passports.

Immigration will not always transfer the re-entry permit to a new passport. So just use two passports until the re-entry permit is used/expires. You might be able to get the re-entry permit transferred at the airport.

• Like 1

I have a brand new passport with my retirement extension and multiple re-entry permit in the old one.

I seem to remember reading that I could just take then both down to immigration to have transferred.

Enter using both passports then visit immigration to have the stamps transferred (It will not be done at the ariport)

• Like 1

Enter using both passports then visit immigration to have the stamps transferred (It will not be done at the ariport)

His permit to stay (retirement extension) is already in the new passport unless I'm misreading the post.

I think he will have more luck getting the re-entry permit transferred at the airport than at the immigration office. Although unnecessary if he carries both passports.

Edited by elviajero

No it's not. Sorry, badly worded post by me.

Both the extension and the reentry permit are in the old passport.

It's ok. My mistake.

Enter showing both passports. Your local immigration office will transfer the permit to stay (retirement extension) but may not transfer the re-entry permit. If they don't then continue to use the two passports or ask at the airport for it to be transferred. Re-entry permits act like visas and immigration never transfer visas.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1