Commart

MrSnrang

Their expo sucked.

No individual parts, too many people there for no apparent reason, no parking, way too ######ing loud, barely any stalls and they all sold the same thing: flash drives, and most importantly: the products aren't any cheaper than Panthip or Fortune or the barber don the street.

Maybe l had lower expectations than MrSnrang but l didn't think it was too bad, after all entry is free.

No individual parts?

Sure, it aint Pantip but most of what you need to build an average computer could be found there. Can't remember seeing any power supplies or water cooling devices but they were probably about. With companies like IT City, J.I.B. etc. there you know there had to be a fair selection of components available but not as extensive as their numerous stores around the various IT malls. It would make sense for them to concentrate on promoting 5 well priced hard drives than to sell every brand that they normally do.

too many people there for no apparent reason?

If people took the time to go there they obviously have a reason. It's not like you walk through the QSCC on the way to anywhere else. Most of the people l saw there looked like office workers, students or business people. If they dressed like rice farmers or shrimp fisherman then maybe you could say they seemed out of place but that wasn't the case.

no parking

With the MRT right outside why would you drive in Bangkok?

way too ######ing loud

Missed out on that but we are in Thailand so is anyone surprised? :o

barely any stalls

How many did you expect? I wasn't counting but in Zone C(?) l'd estimate 150+ stalls/outlets. With so many people there any more and the place would have been gridlocked.

and they all sold the same thing: flash drives

While there were a lot of flash drives for sale (and haven't they got cheap?) that is a slight exaggeration. :D

the products aren't any cheaper than Panthip or Fortune

Can't agree there either. I think l know my prices and noticed many items 5-10% cheaper than in the stores l consider cheap in Panthip etc. Maybe you expected greater reductions. I brought some brochures back with me and these are some of the better deals.

Samsung 740N 17" LCD monitor @ 5,990 baht

Samsung 740B 17" LCDmonitor @ 6,190 baht.

Viewsonic VA702S 17" monitor with free 512 USB @ 5,990

Canon Ixus 800 digital camera @11,900

Compaq Presario C301TU 15" notebook @ 14,900

Toshiba L30-C33OT notebook @ 17,900

Samsung CD writer @ 630 baht

LG DVD writer 18x with LightScribe @ 1690 baht

I don't buy computer parts from the barber down the street so l can't comment on the accuracy of that statement.

I posted a few weeks ago about looking for a wireless router. I came to the decision that l wanted one from Billion as l read more positive feedback and less negative feedback than most other brands. Searched Panthip high and low but could not find any. Tried to find if they had a Thai distributor but must have searched in the wrong places because l couldn't find one. Walking around Commart and down the back there was the Thai agent with a selection of models for sale. Almost bought their 7100G model for 1990 baht, discontinued but still good value. Asked if they sold the 7300G model l was looking for as they didn't have one on display. Had a chat with their well informed sales manager who offered to have one available for me today but l'll be busy elsewhere so l will just pick one from their showroom another time. If nothing else that made my trip to Commart worthwhile.

To sum up, is it worth going to Commart? I would say if you have some spare time and you are not too far away then yes, take the subway but don't expect everything to be half price, and be prepared for big crowds. It was like MBK on a Saturday at times there on Thursday, probably going to be busier on the weekend. If l was wanting to build a computer or buy a laptop then l would want to do my research first as with so many people there most of the sellers aren't going to be able to spend much time with you and you aren't going to be able to check out all the features of a notebook with a dozen people breathing down your neck. It was 99.9999% Thai's there so they think it is worth a look and it's not as if they don't know about Panthip or Fortune.

bonsaimax, here are some 19" monitor prices for you.

From the Synnex flyer, all come with a free 512 USB drive and a DVI cable:

Viewsonic VA1912WB: Speaker, DVI 7,990 baht

Viewsonic VX922, 2ms, DVI 9,990 baht

The new Viewsonic VX2245wm 22" widescreen with an iPod docking station and 4 USB ports, the very latest hot release @ 17,990 baht.

Some other 19" brands from other flyers:

BenQ FP93GX @9,900 baht

BenQ FP92W @ 8,290 baht

Acer AL1916WD @7,890 baht

Edited by penguin